Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

No it's not :)
The idea of Left and Right existed before communisim and WELL before Facism.

Ok then, lets cut the crazy-talk because I get really know-it-all and stuck-up over this sort of thing. Let's just call it the "Political rainbow", and then we can all be friends. :)

There are many colours in the political rainbow!

Cograts to the US on their election! It's always good to have a change of controlling powers. Now the Democrats have both houses instead of the other fellas, maybe there'll be some positive changes?

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

wtf are you guys talking about o_o?

Is this another one of those american things?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Well it was about the US election initially… but it's also about democracy in general.
Comicmasta, after quite a few years, you guys now have more than one political party that are capable of prevailing in elections…. Didn't Vicente Fox almost lose last time?

radarig
radarig
Posted at

As far as this "political spectrum" argument, I think the political compass model is more accurate in "placing" different movements.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/analysis2

It's not perfect either, but it's better than the one-dimensional model.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's not perfect either, but it's better than the one-dimensional model.
That's a great site Radarig! They've got some good points there, I really love what they're trying to do.

But most of all I loved point 22 in their FAQ:
22. When are you guys gonna learn to spell?

This grievance comes from those who aren't aware that British and American spellings sometimes differ.

We've been at the centre of some rancour, but we're not going to take offence or harbour any grievances. The catalogue of complaints won't colour this organisation's programme. It's a grey area anyway. And we don't want to labour the point.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I'd actually make your linear line like this:

LEFT<——————————- MIDDLE—D——-R——>RIGHT

… but that's just me.

As for the Fascism/Communism argument, I think you're having a semantic argument.

True communism isn't anything close to the governments that call themselves communist. As far as I know, there is no communist government that has ever actually had true communism.

Communism is - very simply - "to each according to their needs, from each according to their ability." In theory, that would mean that every member of the country has exactly the same amount of wealth and power as the other. In reality, they have political leaders, corporate leaders and all sorts of inequality.

So it might be accurate to place Communism on the far left if you mean the idealized Marxist version that has never had a chance to exist, but it would be grossly inaccurate if you meant communism as it exists in the real world.

Whirlwynd
Whirlwynd
Posted at

Wisconsin passed an amendment to ban gay marriage and other, similar civil unions. Bascially it means that if you've been together with a person (be they gay or straight) for like, 20 years, but not married, and one of you gets into a coma-inducing accident or something, your partner will have no say in what happens to you. The person who knows you best can't choose if you live or die or anything of that nature.

Wisconsin, you disappoint me.

Disappointed as well - and slightly disturbed. What's more disturbing to me is the people I've run into here who don't seem to have thought the issue through very well. My roommate in college, for example, said there should not be gay marriage - we need more families to produce more children because the world is underpopulated.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

… My roommate in college, for example, said there should not be gay marriage - we need more families to produce more children because the world is underpopulated.

Huh??? Other than that, how's the lobotomy working out for her?

I suppose it's possible that some states will overturn the gay marriage thing, now that the Dems are running the House and the Senate. But I doubt it because a lot of Democrats won't back that horse. That, and I just see Bush using his Veto pen more now.

On a related note, I happen to think that a party that is opposite from the Prez will always be more productive and better for America. Stops the rubber stamping. ;)

Also, I can't tell you how happy I am that Rumsfeld got the boot, too.

So, when will impeachment proceedings start?

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I actually hope they don't try to impeach.

It's time consuming and ultimately causes little more than a slap on the wrist. The Dems only have 2 years to prove that they can do things more worthwhile than this past congress has.

And Bush is pretty marginalized now, if the dems are careful.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Disappointed as well - and slightly disturbed. What's more disturbing to me is the people I've run into here who don't seem to have thought the issue through very well. My roommate in college, for example, said there should not be gay marriage - we need more families to produce more children because the world is underpopulated.

Tell that to the people stacked on top of each other in Japan. Or how about all the millions and millions in India? The world is more populated now than it's ever been, yet an individual is asking for more resources than ever before to keep up a "21st Century Standard of Living". I think it would be great if there were less people in the world. A lot less.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Tell that to the people stacked on top of each other in Japan. Or how about all the millions and millions in India? The world is more populated now than it's ever been, yet an individual is asking for more resources than ever before to keep up a "21st Century Standard of Living". I think it would be great if there were less people in the world. A lot less.

look at all that unpopulated land!

Now all we need is to be able to convert salt water into freshwater… and run on cleanly created hydrogen power… and live off of mold… or something…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Fine, but you're still wrong.
Ooooooooooh reeeeeaaaaly? :)
Would that I were. It'd be nice to live in such a simple world…

I doubt Gay marriage or unions or whatever will get much serious traction anywhere… Give it a few more years, we've come a long way already, just need to keep up the struggle for it I suppose. -It wouldn't do to go backwards!

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Ha, ha, ha!

Look what we did:

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yay! This is the Google add I got:

"Lesbian comics
Meet Tens of Thousands of Lesbian Singles for Love. Register Free.
www.LDate.com"

Groovy. B)

What happens if we talk about Optimus Prime…?
What, you mean gay Optimus, co-habiting with gay Megatron?
Will Democrat control over both houses really be enough to make legal unions a reality for our robosexual tranformers?
Walk on the Wild side!

-you see what I did there? huh, huh?
come on, it's Lou Reed's most famous album!

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

Wisconsin passed an amendment to ban gay marriage and other, similar civil unions. Bascially it means that if you've been together with a person (be they gay or straight) for like, 20 years, but not married, and one of you gets into a coma-inducing accident or something, your partner will have no say in what happens to you. The person who knows you best can't choose if you live or die or anything of that nature.

Wisconsin, you disappoint me.

Another Wisconsinite! If you don't mind me asking, what college do you go to?

One thing that really irks me off is how uninformed the public was about this amendment. There was a lot of propoganda targeting the older or more religious crowd by just saying it was about gay marriage, and leaving out the fact that it now bans all types of civil unions. Glad to know that I've now lost all my rights because of ignorant parochials!

Posted at

I had a US Government class a few months ago where the Professor decided for an excercize to split the class up into the two sides of the Gay Marriage argument. I was surprised at how many people were against. Plus neither side really had any good arguments and the asshats running the pro side didn't use my argument, which I can't remember at the moment but it was really quite convincing. People are such bungholes.

Gregory
Gregory
Posted at

To: ozoneocean
Subject: Re: Congratulations on your elections USA.
Body:
Mr. Ocean:

Thanks.

Sincerely,
USA

yeahduff
yeahduff
Posted at

Nah, there won't be an impeachment. The political landscape is moving toward bipartisanship, as we're all so fucking tired of the petty bickering.

But hell yeah to the newly reestablished balance of power. Hell yeah to gay robots.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I think it's bad to vote only democrat or only republican for no other reason that political alleigance. You really gotta look into their individual platforms. Simply putting more Democrats in power doesn't automatically mean you'll get the results you want. I've always felt like America needs a generous mix of both parties, whether you hate one of the parties or not.

But the parties ARE the political platforms. If you're left of center on the political spectrum Democrats are the way to go, if you're right of center Republicans.

If thing only thing worth noting of any political leader was their party affiliation, then each November they'd just poll us and ask if we were Republican or Democrat. Then they'd fill the government with the most popular party.

But even within each party there are differences between candidates. They don't always support every view of the party they belong to. It's up to us to educate ourselves on what each candidate stands for, or else we're ignorant voters. Ignorant voters are worse than non-voters.

Posted at

They don't always support every view of the party they belong to.

If you rule out third-parties, simply based on the fact that they rarely win, you have two choices in any race. If you're a moderate or some mix of views then yes, you will have to look at the individual candidate. But if you lean left or right, the guy that leans in your direction is always going to be more your speed than the alternative.

Like, I vote Democrat, because I'm leftist, but even if I didn't care for the Democrat running the Republican's not a safer bet, and in our screwy system a third-party candidate is a throw away vote.

I have no faith in representative government anyway. They're all assholes, none of them actually represent my views.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.