Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Copyright Violation -- Legal Advice and Support Needed, Please

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

What a glorious April 1st this has been.

Posted at

What a couple of babies

You should settle your issues like adults, with baseball bats

Posted at

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms. Enthusiams… What are mine? What draws my admiration? What is that which gives me joy? Baseball!

Cheeko
Cheeko
Posted at

I think it's dreadful that anyone would attack poor Nick, especially with such flimsy evidence!

Don't you people see that Cheeko is the villain here? She's stealing characters and then protecting herself from discovery by accusing her victims of theft! Using her status as a tool to gain favour!

How do I know this? I WAS THE ORIGINAL CHEEKO! She stole my name and left me disgraced, I've had to hide behind this mask for so long. But no longer, I know what you're up to Cheeko, and I won't rest until you, and your little goons Ozone and Midge, are nothing but dust!

DUUUUUUST!

EXCUSE me?! I don't own any copyrights on the name Cheeko. You think my ego is SOOO big that I couldn't stand for two in the world? Unless your persona design is/was EXACTLY like mine, then you shouldn't be complaining. I don't even know who you are, so what reason would I have to possible rob and disgrace you, as you claim?!

The obvious difference between ALL of those pictures, Nick, is that one is a unique, original piece of artwork, and the other is another original piece of artwork with A GHOSTBUSTERS LOGO SLAPPED ONTO IT.
You know what? I think you just dragged Nike and DC comics into this whole affair with those horrible examples you just made. Maybe I can get them onto this case, too. How do you like that?

I don't know what Drunk Duck is coming to, allowing a continuous violator of such obvious laws to continue being a member of the site. I mean, I heard you were coercing the admins to changing the name to Sober Duck and that you had the DD Overlord contest fixed from the beginning, but you'd think that'd be enough to have you banned. COME ON.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Like I said before Cheeko, he's within his rights. Barely, but still in them.

Don't make me ban YOU for disrespecting Drunk Duck. I simply will not have that.

Cheeko
Cheeko
Posted at

Don't make me ban YOU for disrespecting Drunk Duck. I simply will not have that.

I REFUSE that set of conditions. Nick has grossly violated my own rights, and you expect me to sit idly by while he claims that he's protected by his own?!
And I have no intention of disrespecting the Duck. If anything, I'm trying to PROTECT it by making sure people like Nick get their just desserts! I won't be satisfied until I see him hanging by his thumbs in some dungeon!!

Nega Link
Nega Link
Posted at

I think it's dreadful that anyone would attack poor Nick, especially with such flimsy evidence!

Don't you people see that Cheeko is the villain here? She's stealing characters and then protecting herself from discovery by accusing her victims of theft! Using her status as a tool to gain favour!

How do I know this? I WAS THE ORIGINAL CHEEKO! She stole my name and left me disgraced, I've had to hide behind this mask for so long. But no longer, I know what you're up to Cheeko, and I won't rest until you, and your little goons Ozone and Midge, are nothing but dust!

DUUUUUUST!

Wow, that is what I call inappropriate.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Wow, that is what I call inappropriate.
Yeah. Me too.
Cheeko stole Custard's original name of Cheeko?
I'll never look at Cheeko the same way again.

Wrenmisty
Wrenmisty
Posted at

My advice is: Both of you don't think about this at all for at least a week, then come back and try to sort this out. Somehow I think this is way over the top… I think if you both had calm heads and hadn't already been arguing about this for a while it would get solved easier and quicker…

So my idea: get away from the drama and say… next tuesday, start an IM, but on this IM, invite a mod or other unrelated party. During this IM do not devote your entire attention to it. Do something else or the tension will rise and once again you'll just end up with two very peeved artists.

You may both be right. You both may be wrong. More likely, you're both right and wrong at the same time. Concepts and character ideas are not just black and white, especially if you both worked on developing a story together.

Please understand these are my views as I see it… If you do take my advice and cool off and get someone to be an unrelated party here's some more advice for the ensuing discussion: Cheeko, Try to stick to the Dart for the story that never happened. The Dart in One Question and Nicks story really look very little alike. Really, their not even the same race. I would also think on finding documentation on who did what for the development part.
Nick: Stay on subject please. In just reading this page I have gotten entirely lost on what you are even arguing. Sprites and ghost busters? Stay on the subject of your cat person. Don't go off on tangents, it doesn't help your case and only makes you sound childish. You should also try to find documentation on what you did for the original Dart story, and documentation in both character and visual concept of how your current character vary.

And if you choose to bring in a nother party: encourage them to set ground rules: EI no name calling, say on subject, no use of the ! or capslock. etc.

I would also try and keep this less public for the next while. I can already see flame wars starting and that's not going to help either of you.
You both currently have cat people that may or may not have stemmed from a story both of you dropped. If you see it from that point of view you're both wrong and right. If you both developed the character you both own it. Cheeko I see questions writen on the designs, how did Nick respond? Did any of his responces help change that character? Do any of his responces seem similar to how he protrays his current cat person? Nick, what did Cheeko create? Do you see any of the things that were purely her idea in your current design? Is there anyway to make the character more YOURS?

Characters to a lot of us are like babies. Now you both have two children and you're fighting for both of them. That's ok. Just understand, that the other person is going to be just as protective.

I hope that helps, and you both don't hate me now >> That's just my views from what I've read…. even if I messed a lot of it up (which I probably did, as I can't see the world through either of your eyes) I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
*runs away quickly*

Posted at

EXCUSE me?! I don't own any copyrights on the name Cheeko. You think my ego is SOOO big that I couldn't stand for two in the world? Unless your persona design is/was EXACTLY like mine, then you shouldn't be complaining. I don't even know who you are, so what reason would I have to possible rob and disgrace you, as you claim?!

The obvious difference between ALL of those pictures, Nick, is that one is a unique, original piece of artwork, and the other is another original piece of artwork with A GHOSTBUSTERS LOGO SLAPPED ONTO IT.
You know what? I think you just dragged Nike and DC comics into this whole affair with those horrible examples you just made. Maybe I can get them onto this case, too. How do you like that?

I don't know what Drunk Duck is coming to, allowing a continuous violator of such obvious laws to continue being a member of the site. I mean, I heard you were coercing the admins to changing the name to Sober Duck and that you had the DD Overlord contest fixed from the beginning, but you'd think that'd be enough to have you banned. COME ON.

First off it would be ghost busters who sues me for abuse of their logo. Secondly Cheeko my lawyer assures me my dead broke defense trumps all potential lawsuits from all parties.

The web is just finally comming to it senses, just like Wikipedia where 1% of the people are allowed to run 50% of the content as is really the only reasonable way to run things. I'm mearly offering to be in that very helpful and well meaning 1% who happen to need a lot of characters! It isn't my fault if 1% of characters have a passive resemblence to 99% of the other content out there 50% of the time.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Oh God this is the best thread ever.

Posted at

Listen to this. I bet in a few years you'll claim to have no knowledge of EEN either.

I'm sending such an angry letter to your lawyer.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

How dare you try to delete my post EEN!

The truth about the Overlord Campaign must be known!

The Overlord campaign is fixed!

I am outraged!
It was EEN plan all along to place some puppet in the role for him to control from the shadows!

This must be stopped!
Stopped, I say!

Posted at

Did someone say something about dessert? I like pie.

lba
lba
Posted at

This reminds me of a certain thread in TD wherein Atom jokingly "stole" my artwork and "claimed" it as his. His negligent actions were atrocious and may very well have resulted in publicity for me. As such it has caused severe damage to my non-celebrity status and has cause me exceptional grief in the form of people bothering me by trying to read my comics.

I DEMAND COMPENSATION FOR ATOM'S BLATANT JOKING AND MOCKERY!! I WANT THE PAGEVIEWS THAT HIS SILLINESS RESULTED IN REMOVED FROM MY ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY!!!

If this is not done, I shall be forced to write a very sternly worded letter to the good people of the internet demanding action.

D0m
D0m
Posted at

This is an April Fool's joke, right?

<_<

>_>

Cheeko
Cheeko
Posted at

First off it would be ghost busters who sues me for abuse of their logo. Secondly Cheeko my lawyer assures me my dead broke defense trumps all potential lawsuits from all parties.

Laugh all you like, Nick, but there are other forms of punishments besides fines. My own consul and I are halfway through filing applications for an Internet Restaining Order, which grants the judicial legal system the legal authority to ban you from any and all use of the internet for the rest of your natural life. Further, it forbids you from ever touching any computer equipment. My consul assures me the law is on my side on this one. Enjoy your last precious moments fondling your keyboard while you can.

The web is just finally comming to it senses, just like Wikipedia where 1% of the people are allowed to run 50% of the content as is really the only reasonable way to run things. I'm mearly offering to be in that very helpful and well meaning 1% who happen to need a lot of characters! It isn't my fault if 1% of characters have a passive resemblence to 99% of the other content out there 50% of the time.

Maybe you should just start trying to put more originality into your work, then?

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

<_<

>_>

Seriously?

crazyninny
crazyninny
Posted at

I… Fail to see similarities.

It would help though if there weren't already 245872905729078 other white cat boys in the world also.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I REFUSE that set of conditions. Nick has grossly violated my own rights, and you expect me to sit idly by while he claims that he's protected by his own?!
And I have no intention of disrespecting the Duck. If anything, I'm trying to PROTECT it by making sure people like Nick get their just desserts! I won't be satisfied until I see him hanging by his thumbs in some dungeon!!

That's all well and good, but what you are doing could be considered liable (slander). EEN is on the cusp of doing things legally, YOU MAY NOT BE.

Please, don't force my ban-hand.

Cheeko
Cheeko
Posted at

That's all well and good, but what you are doing could be considered liable (slander). EEN is on the cusp of doing things legally, YOU MAY NOT BE.

Please, don't force my ban-hand.

Slander? How is any of this slander?! I'm just presenting the facts as they are. Is it my fault Nick is the Evil Emperor he claims to be?!

crocty
crocty
Posted at

<_<

>_>
Copyright infringement is no joke.

Posted at

My advice is: Both of you don't think about this at all for at least a week, then come back and try to sort this out. Somehow I think this is way over the top… I think if you both had calm heads and hadn't already been arguing about this for a while it would get solved easier and quicker…

So my idea: get away from the drama and say… next tuesday, start an IM, but on this IM, invite a mod or other unrelated party. During this IM do not devote your entire attention to it. Do something else or the tension will rise and once again you'll just end up with two very peeved artists.

You may both be right. You both may be wrong. More likely, you're both right and wrong at the same time. Concepts and character ideas are not just black and white, especially if you both worked on developing a story together.

Please understand these are my views as I see it… If you do take my advice and cool off and get someone to be an unrelated party here's some more advice for the ensuing discussion: Cheeko, Try to stick to the Dart for the story that never happened. The Dart in One Question and Nicks story really look very little alike. Really, their not even the same race. I would also think on finding documentation on who did what for the development part.
Nick: Stay on subject please. In just reading this page I have gotten entirely lost on what you are even arguing. Sprites and ghost busters? Stay on the subject of your cat person. Don't go off on tangents, it doesn't help your case and only makes you sound childish. You should also try to find documentation on what you did for the original Dart story, and documentation in both character and visual concept of how your current character vary.

And if you choose to bring in a nother party: encourage them to set ground rules: EI no name calling, say on subject, no use of the ! or capslock. etc.

I would also try and keep this less public for the next while. I can already see flame wars starting and that's not going to help either of you.
You both currently have cat people that may or may not have stemmed from a story both of you dropped. If you see it from that point of view you're both wrong and right. If you both developed the character you both own it. Cheeko I see questions writen on the designs, how did Nick respond? Did any of his responces help change that character? Do any of his responces seem similar to how he protrays his current cat person? Nick, what did Cheeko create? Do you see any of the things that were purely her idea in your current design? Is there anyway to make the character more YOURS?

Characters to a lot of us are like babies. Now you both have two children and you're fighting for both of them. That's ok. Just understand, that the other person is going to be just as protective.

I hope that helps, and you both don't hate me now >> That's just my views from what I've read…. even if I messed a lot of it up (which I probably did, as I can't see the world through either of your eyes) I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
*runs away quickly*

Why the heck is it that no one seems to have read this post? It has to be the most sane and intelligent thing I've read in this whole stupid thread.

This seems to me to be a personal matter between two members, and isn't something that needs the input of random, unrelated, internet people.

May I recommend that this thread be locked before it becomes an all out flame war?

Riceraider
Riceraider
Posted at

Copyright infringement is no joke.

Apperantly your wrong…

Never the less, Now for my pathetic 2 cents.

And I mean Pathetic in the rhetorical sense, as in Pathos…

The character concept conceived by Lord Nick(a-tine) is as such.
"Dart - A white cat boy full of mischief. He wears a variety of cute oufits with large oversized gloves and his happy cat mask."

As this idea was created by Lord Nick, It is his intellectual property, because it was a design for a character. A concept idea, his own that he created.

Now, have us look at Cheeko's character

(Image (C) Cheeko, I'm posting a copy on photobucket to prevent 'hot-linking')

Now let me think…

White cat boy full of Mischief (hes a thief), cute outfit (up to opinion, I know),wears gloves that to me look over-sized.

Hmmm… Except for the mask, these people seem really similar.

Now, I'm sorry for playing devil's advocate, and I would like to say that I like both of the artist's art. But Doesn't it seem like Cheeko stole the character concept?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.