Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Do you buy "outdated" or "damaged" stuff at your supermarket?

Posted at

No, in my family we're the type who take the food at the back of the shelf(because they put the older stuff in front). We're a fussy lot.

Well, I do this too if paying full price. Who wants someone's browsing germs on the package, if it's not a deal?!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The wife does. She also religiously cuts coupons and we get $100 worth of food for $50. You have to when you're poor.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

…but they both taste like crap…
You're obviously deranged. :(
yeah man, Vegemite is the fuckin shit. Not shit, THE fucking shit! Marmite is similar in tastes to a shit's shit.
I hear ya man! Preach it!
I'm going to write a comic dedicated to the marmite vs vegemite debate!!! That'll show you fuckers!
It's about time. get the word out man!

Seriously though, with Vegemite, it tastes better the older it is. It gets this lovely beery taste. Except better, like the best beer ever!
Which is saying something, since I don't like beer that much…

Posted at

That's really just about all they sell at Grocery Outlet. I remember once my family got three-year old soda there once. So yeah, I buy stuff that's a little past it's sell-by date.
(By the way does this mean that I'll be seeing a comic of Ryan_Scott vs. Ozone? That would be cool!)

Posted at

we definitely need a Vegemite Vs. Marmite comic. And while we're at it we need a Forum Category.

Vegemite Vs. Marmite

before posting in some random food thread in General
Discussion about how much Vegemite pwns Marmite, post it here,…………………………………1,098,756
they are too annoying NOT to have their own category
Mod: Ozoneocean,Ryan_Scott

Posted at

Bollocks to the forum topic… we'll form our own Marmite vs Vegemite webcomics splinter faction… www.marmitevsvegemitecomics.com

we cooouuullld, but for serious, I think we should do a DrunkDuck Vegemite V Marmite comic.

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Hey if you want to write the words I'll gladly draw the fucker!

Pineapple
Pineapple
Posted at

I'm not a huge fan of buying things past their best before (although I have done it) I like buying stuff like yogurt and meat that have been marked down bt still good. As long as I eat it the next day, it's fine.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

More like Vegemite VS Marmite :)

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Hey you can put it into any order you like… I think we ALL know that marmite's gonna come out on top!!!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hey you can put it into any order you like… I think we ALL know that marmite's gonna come out on top!!!
Exactly!
We'll skim that crap off and be left with delicious, wholesome, tangy, salty, beery Vegemite. :)

Actually, more towards the subject of this thread:
As I previously said, Vegemite gets better lone long you have it. Brand new Vegemite isn't as good, it's march sharper in taste and has a stronger bite. I tend to leave mine with the lid a bit unscrewed and never put it in the fridge! It mellows in a lovely way. :)

So some foods actually really DO get better!
It's much like a good salami or something- the longer you leave it the better it gets. To a point.

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Ok… I'm gonna try really hard NOT to make any 'smelly salami' jokes and this point in time…

Posted at

I'm sorry but I guess I'm the only one that's gotten sick on "outdated" food items. plus you never really know what's growing in there.

Now damaged I totally get. It's really just that the can or the box is dinged but what's inside is still the same.

lba
lba
Posted at

Buy it? Why buy it when you can get it from their dumpster?

I used to do that to get food for some of the homeless guys around town. It was interesting to see how some of them became much more friendly and less aggressive if they knew they could get easy food from you. A lot of the food stuff in those dumpsters is perfectly good too. Bakeries here toss their bread out daily if it doesn't sell and it's always tossed out in the plastic bag it's packaged in.

Posted at

I don't know if I would really want to be running around checking dumpsters… Now I'm not saying that the food inside there is bad, since I'm sure the packaging is still sealed. I don't think I would want to wade through trash to pick up one thing of bread.

I guess if we were in hobo survivor I wouldn't survive more then three days.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Foraging is always good too… you'd be surprised the everyday garden plants which have edible roots and leaves…

You'd be surprised at what kind of food you can grow in your yard. I've got banana and tangerines growing in mine. And with imported bananas costing $4 to $6 a pound, it's a good thing for me. :)

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Buy it? Why buy it when you can get it from their dumpster?

I used to do that to get food for some of the homeless guys around town. It was interesting to see how some of them became much more friendly and less aggressive if they knew they could get easy food from you. A lot of the food stuff in those dumpsters is perfectly good too. Bakeries here toss their bread out daily if it doesn't sell and it's always tossed out in the plastic bag it's packaged in.
I ain't a freegan or nothin', but I do dumpster dive for food when I'm hard up. I get mad when perfectly good food gets thrown out. People are hungry! At least give it to Food Not Bombs, or lay it on top of the rest of the trash (or God forbid outside the dumpster) so people can pick it up!

Most bakeries toss all the day-old stuff into trash bags- just the baked goods, no actual garbage in 'em. So I lived off bread and bagels for a while.

Grocery stores tend to throw out slightly wilted/ripe produce, so that's good too.

What does it matter if canned goods or dry beans or rice or whatever is a couple days past the expiration? It probably tastes the same as it would've the day before it expired.

In summation: I ain't too proud. ;)

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

What does it matter if canned goods is a couple days past the expiration? It probably tastes the same as it would've the day before it expired.

In summation: I ain't too proud. ;)

I'd be careful around canned or jarred foods. Especially cans that have been badly damaged or have rust spots on them (rust spots are a good indicator that the food is VERY out of date). This is especially true for all canned goods, expired or not. It doesn't take long for bacteria to go in, multiply, and contaminate the food with their toxic waste. Unless you're resistant to Botulism, I'd stay away from canned goods if I were you.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.