Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

Awesome! *_* I can't believe it's finally here!

Er.. I got an email on Friday saying that I wasn't received my copies and responded today with my address, so I'm not sure if I'm in the same boat with everyone else. For those who put in their orders for the book, I do hope that they'll be refunded their money if PS can't mail the books out…

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

There was a slight snafu with the shipping of the books, but I've been told that they are on the way to the contributors as of now. Give it a few weeks, and hopefully they'll all be delivered.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

They DO exist! O:

Kooper is one happy Koopa Troopa. :3

Nice to see the books are finally out, I got them today, I'm rather surprised with how well my story held up, plus, since my story follows Culture Shock, I get the benefit of a great lead in (Hawk's quality masks my inferior craftsmanship).

Interestingly enough, my SECOND Spongebob Squarepants pitch was approved today. So much for Friday the 13th being unlucky huh?

Posted at

All this thread and no one's talked about what's inside the book… the comics!

Then again, most of us don't even KNOW what's inside the book…

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to reading it though :)

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

Finally got my books today. Woo! ^_^
I like the small digest size for the book – the manga stories look really nice in the small size. The toning in my comic came out better than I expected. I was scared there was going to be a lot of moire going on, but it's pretty much beyond perfect to what I was aiming at! What kind of printing did PS use?? I want to use these specs for future reference when I start making comic pages again so I can keep this consistency.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I'll try to find out, Knuckles. This was printed in Canada, so I assume moose were involved.

I got my copies today and haven't had a chance to get very far into the anthology. Some of the stories I remember from when I was helping BK with it, some of them I don't recognize at all.

I personally like bigger books, but this is pretty high quality in spite of that, IMO.

My story "The Point Of Some Return" is missing one of my pages smack dab in the middle of it - so a few setups and gags are not there unfortunately. So, to read it in it's full glory, people are going to have to wait a bit, or buy it on my store.

But it's a good solid book, and if I have any say in it, all those problems we've had - deadlines, content and updates not happening - won't happen for the next one.

…though I don't think we're ready to talk about the next one yet. :)

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Finally got mine in yesterday; great work all around. A little sad that it's so much smaller than the previous two books (just makes it look a little weird next to them on the bookcase), but it's still great.

Slight problem, though…

so… yeah.

Edit: Also, there's a strange sort of honor about being the last story in the book.

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

Well that sucks :/ Sorry to see that they screwed you over like that, Inkmonkey… I'm wondering if the people thought there was something controversial about your story, maybe? :/ That's the only thing I can think of, really why they would do that.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

Ink, which way was it supposed to be? Was there a typo on "Nightmare" or did they erase art from your page to remove the "mare"? The first I could just credit to sloppiness, not any effort to screw anyone. The second would be very odd.

I've read the book now, both the stories I remember from way back when the project was started and a few I don't remember at all.

Very nice work everyone.

I liked seeing skoolmunkee's work again. Her sarcastic wit is always a joy to read.

It is my goal to have a much tighter editorial control over the next book. I don't know if anyone reading this remembered the work we did on the first two anthologies, but I have always tried to be very careful of the presentation of other artists' work. I've also tried to make sure that small typographical errors were addressed before printing. I wasn't involved in putting this book together, unfortunately, but it is my hope to be much more involved with the next one.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Someone just accidentally added the word "Mare" to the first page there. It's supposed to be "Night on Hell Mountain" (a play on "Night on Bald Mountain" ) . In the table of contents it's correctly labelled "Night on Hell Mountain". I'm guessing it was some kind of typo myself.

Posted at

Aw thanks Ronson :)

I just got my books today! So I've only started reading them.

They left our author profiles out of this one… but that's ok I guess.

Ronson's was the first story and I could tell there were pages missing, there were a couple of weird jumps between pages that didn't make much sense, like one character thanking another when that was the first time we'd seen them. Obviously the new character did some thing thank-worthy… but whatever it was, I'll never know :)

I too agree about the editing, I want to be more involved with the next one too. There have been a couple typos I've seen so far and that's not the best impression to leave in a printed book :(

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

We are in the process of discussing exactly how these anotholgies should be handled.

I'm personally of the impression that if the DD admins aren't involved in the book - and none of us were involved in the end result of this book - then I would just as well not have them made, because of the mostly small (but several large) errors in this one. I just think that if there are going to be misakes, they should be OUR mistakes. :)

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Yeah, hope you guys can get in control.

Also, when will it be time to start submissions for DD Anthology #4? And how does one get in?

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

Oh my GOD! Guess what came in the mail today? My ten copies of the anthology.

*FAINTS!*

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I'm personally of the impression that if the DD admins aren't involved in the book - and none of us were involved in the end result of this book - then I would just as well not have them made, because of the mostly small (but several large) errors in this one. I just think that if there are going to be misakes, they should be OUR mistakes. :)

You know, they actually printed to wrong title page for my comic in the book… This after I contacted two people about getting the correct title page in, and uploading my entire set of pages again without the incorrect title page. Somehow they still printed the wrong one, and I was pretty upset… until I heard your comic was missing pages. That would be far worse and I'm sorry to hear that it happened.

I fully agree with you about keeping the DD admins in control of the editing process. The thing is, at this point I'm sure I should just be grateful that it even got printed. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it did. And I'm 90% thrilled with the results.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I fully agree with you about keeping the DD admins in control of the editing process. The thing is, at this point I'm sure I should just be grateful that it even got printed. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it did. And I'm 90% thrilled with the results.

Part of the reason I want to maintain admin control over it is because Platinum, as a business, had some people come and go that were in charge of the project. As a result, the anthology book was handed off (and sometimes handled carelessly) until it eventually got printed.

With the admins involved, We have a consistent set of hands on it and a bunch of folks that are directly in contact with all us Duckers.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

Okay everyone. Here's an easy correction to make to my comic. Just a little splash of White-Out or a dark pen will do the job…

Thankfully, even though the wrong URL made it into the book, it redirects to the right one. I'm not sure why my DD URL isn't there. Every draft I have has it. I guess I goofed somewhere.

WOW, that page is hard for me to look at!

Mina_Lunga
Mina_Lunga
Posted at

I'm feeling very depressed right now.

Three years ago I managed to get into the Drunk Duck Anthology, and struggled to get a story put together in time for the first "do-by" date. And that passed. . . and passed. . . and since then I have kept as close a tabs on the existence of the book as I thought I could. I've replied to Black Kitty's emails with always a "YES! Please keep me in the loop!" When I had assumed a last year that the book was never going to be published I started posting the comic pages on one of my DD comics, and then took them down at her request (LINK).

And now it appears that I was dropped at some point. . . I only ran across this by deciding to read the forums today (I admit that I rarely do). And there's my main character in the back of the cover, singing away, and I never got an email about including my story. And since I'm not on the authors' list it looks as though my story isn't there at all. I would have been overjoyed to be kept in the book, or at least informed that it was happening, even if my story could no longer be included.

Anyway, I'm sure that this isn't anyone's specific "fault," but I'm pretty sad that my work and hope has just gone "splat." I just wish someone had contacted me.

Okay, I'll stop ranting and just kill off a character to make myself feel better ;)

Posted at

As you've probably read, there were a lot of editorial problems with the book. I'm not sure how a comic company managed to put out a book in such a slipshod way, but several of the contributors are unhappy by being left out, pages missing, wrong titles, etc. I mean, how do you just forget to include people?

You're on the list of people we're trying to get answers about 'why weren't they included in the book? They kept in contact and said yes to things'… everyone we ask goes 'Gosh that's terrible! I'll ask some questions and find out!' And while I don't doubt the genuine concern of the people asking on our behalf, we never hear anything back no matter how many different people we bug about it. :[

So yeah. You're unfortunately an example of why we want to keep the books in DD hands from now on. I'm sorry. :[

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.