Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I dunno if there's a topic around like this one (if there is, sorry. Lockage needed), but I start college July 1st, and the closer it gets, the more I fear it! Are there any tips for the freshman going in? I'm sure I'm not the only one going to college this year.

Posted at

Beat up the biggest person you see to show them whos boss!

Wait…thats prison.

When I went to college it was pretty chill, no one really messed with me.
But the biggest thing is to keep up with your classes, don't drink to much and know your limits.

From that statement you can pretty much gather my college time.

Posted at

Desks tend to suck, very small tops, I'd suggest bringing a clipboard so you can lay your notes and papers out on it.

ceb_dyson
ceb_dyson
Posted at

College is actually different from High School. In HS, ya got the click war; whereas, in college, ya got the clicks but without the war. Even better, the clicks sometimes socialize in a friendly manner. So don't worry about the social aspect of college

Instead, worry more about your work. Even if ya have the chance to forestall yer work a bit, don't. Do it right then, right there so it doesn't bug you later on. I didn't do this and I ended up failing two classes and barely passing four classes. Oh, and have really good study habit. Even if the stuff doesn't turn up on the test, it's still good to know for just in case.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

A few tips as far as the acedemic part of college…

~Don't be afraid to talk to your professors. This helps out a LOT. Seriously… I wish I had started doing that as a freshman. Even if you don't have trouble in class, show up at office hours and verify you know what you've been studying – or talk about current issues related to the subject. Most professors like to talk to students. (Some exceptions…)

~Don't cram. Study casually, and review your notes even when a test is not bearing down on you in a day or two. Sleeping the night before a test is a good thing…

~Study dilligently, but take frequent breaks. Remember it is just as important to schedule time for relaxation/fun as it is for studying. Find a balance! (My roommate studied without a break for too long and ended up bombing her comprehensives – it meant she couldn't graduate! o.O )

~Find interesting things in each subject or MAKE them interesting. You're more likely to remember something that you think is neat. I had a stick figure in my Physics notes. I sent him in buses traveling half the spead of light or on plummeting elevators. Come exam time, I could always remember my tormented stick man…

marine
marine
Posted at

Don't study, do every drug you can, cut yourself and write poems, post videos of yourself dancing on youtube, play the wii, drink liquors constantly, and work at a crappy job until they tell you you can't anymore, retire and die. Thats the way life goes. Its not that hard.

Get up, go to work, come home eat something once a day, possibly twice. Take one good shit every day (no bad shits allowed). Find someone to fuck. Go to sleep. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

very small tops,
That's your uniform! Remember to buy and wear lots of very small tops ^_^

Tertiary education tends to be as regulated as highschool (but not always), there should be less of a problem with social hierarchies though.

ProfessorF
ProfessorF
Posted at

Don't worry about it, college will be awesome.. trust me.

Just remember, while you're having a good time, don't forget to keep up with your work. There were A LOT of guys on my dorm room floor my first year in college who didn't come back the next year.

Posted at

College is pretty laid back at least it has been for me. The best thing i can tell you is don't be affraid to talk to your professors. In my experiences they are usually laid back and willing to help with any questions or problems you might have. It seems that many students are afraid to approach a teacher out of class but it's not that big of a deal. Professors are often glad to help a student in any way they can when the student shows interest in understantding and learning.
Keep up with your classes and don't be afraid to ask for help and you should do fine!

Posted at

savor and enoy it. dont be afraid to ask for help. complete all work on time. if getting student loans, never use more than you must and use it only for school. last but most important, finish college, it may seem like it takes a while at some points, but in the by and by it is really no time at all. GooD luck

Posted at

Dont drink on Monday Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wear rubber flipflops in the shower.

If theres a barnes&nobles in the area you don't have to buy your text books, you can just go in and read them for free.

Even if you don't like coffee before college, you'll like it by the time you're done with it, acclimate yourself to that fact.

RDraconis
RDraconis
Posted at

I'm not even to applying, still trying to figure out where to go.

I dunno, it all depends on where you go. There's definitely some universal stuff, but schools have different outlooks as a whole. Like liberal arts vs. more scientific vs. uber religious and so on. ^^; I really I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Good luck!

Posted at

study now, party later.
college is an investment for your future, not an all out party time…that's a waste of yer money.

5 thou a semester to party.

Posted at

Apparently, college is very much like video games. But don't quote me on that.

I didn't think I'd sit here and watch that whole thing, but…I did. That was awesome. Thanks for all the tips guys!

D0m
D0m
Posted at

I'll keep this simple.

Don't let people in your dorm kinda turn you into something you're not.

Don't lose sight of your dreams as far as what you wanna do when you get out.

Know where you're going in life to some degree.

Know what subjects kick your ass and get a head start in kicking their ass.

Don't get into fields that you hate but pay good money. Someone can challenge me in this, but it seems very silly.

joeychips
joeychips
Posted at

Make sure that you understand from your teachers, the business side of what you are majoring in. This way, right when you graduate (or even before), you will be better prepared to enter the dog eat dog marketplace. Seek out teachers that will help you in this. Otherwise, your education is just another buffer that will not really train you to survive in the real world. For example, when I went to college for fine arts, there was not one professor that helped us specifically with understanding the business side of fine arts. Sure they taught us how to paint and draw better, but that doesn't put food on the table.

Posted at

1. Get involved in a few different activities. I played intramurals, drew a comic for the newspaper and got involved in residence life. I have friends for life from each of those different activities. So don't limit yourself.

2. Unlike HS, you will find people who like you for who you are. There are others just like you.

3. That being said, you will change A LOT in 4-5 years. I was a chubby comic book geek when I got to college. When I graduated (mid-90's) I had long hair, lost weight still liked comics, but had also become involved in writing, film, hockey and was a lot more worldly. Frankly, I was a more interesting person.

4. When you know what you want to do, find out how to do it. I still kick myself for not meeting more with advisors, taking internships and knowing all the options. I had considered grad school, but by my senior year I had missed a ton of opportunities. Most colleges you have to search out the answers, they don't send a not home.

5. Learn which happy hours have the cheapest food. Saving money is always good. Better yet, make friends with people who work in restaraunts.

6. If you move into a dorm, make friends with the RA. It will help you stay out of trouble and may get you the inside scoop on all the shit that is going down.

7. If you drink, drink beer. It is cheaper!

8. Have fun! College is the best time of your life. Sad, but true.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Your teachers, for the most part, aren't going to bug you about homework. So it's all up to you.

Try to get a student job if possible.

All the other advice was good, too.

If you're going to school in an urban environment, I can give you more specific advice :P

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Usually at the start, everyone is quiet and easy to approach.

1)Try to befriend as many people as you can. Once you tried sayin hi to everyone, just go with the group of people (or person) you think you would most likely get along with. Do it within 1st week of class. Otherwise, the door will close and you'd likely be an outcast.

2)Try not to be a slacker. Sure they give you a month to do something… But that doesnt mean slack off and party all the time until the day before the project is due.

3)Aside from not being a slacker in school shit, dont slack off as well as dealing with others. Dont just outright assume that everyone is gonna be "mature" right away. Anticipate immature behavior.

4) Politics politics politics politics and politics. That is your best friend (and worst enemy).

Posted at

Study Long, Study Wrong.
No 8:00 am Classes!
Live by the bar, off campus as soon as possible. (I am not endorsing under-age drinkin' ) :)
Syphillzation and Civilization evolved together.
Write what the professeors want you to not what you want (You will be smarter than 98% of them and they don't like to know it.)

HAVE FUN! and Don't get credit cards!

Redemption
Redemption
Posted at

Be aware of the 'University Blues'. Most people I've talked to have some point in their first year (usually in the first semester) where they go through a period of doubt and anxiety, wondering if they're in the right place. Sometimes its a valid concern, but more often than not its a phase that will pass once you get used to the new environment.

Other things:

-Some people can cram for 3 hours and get a B+. It does not necessarily follow that you are that person.

-DONT get into the habit of doing all nighters. Each year gets harder and you'll become a walking zombie in no time.

-I second D0m about coffee. Find a cheap place to get it somewhere on your way to class and get one every Monday. Some days, it'll be your only reason to get out of bed.

-Use your student ID to find discounts in odd places.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

Don't study, do every drug you can, cut yourself and write poems, post videos of yourself dancing on youtube, play the wii, drink liquors constantly, and work at a crappy job until they tell you you can't anymore, retire and die. Thats the way life goes. Its not that hard.

Get up, go to work, come home eat something once a day, possibly twice. Take one good shit every day (no bad shits allowed). Find someone to fuck. Go to sleep. Rinse, wash, repeat.

that's good advice !!!!!!
i can't think of a single thing to add to that !!!!!!!!!!!

arteestx
arteestx
Posted at

Get involved in extra-curricular activities, definitely want to underscore that advice.

You've already gotten some good insight already. But since you say you're fearing college, know that as much as you may feel like a schmuck because you have no clue what's going on, remember you are NOT the only one. Every other freshman (and most other sophomores, juniors, and seniors too) feels the exact same way, whether they show it or not. But trust me, everyone starts off nervous and everyone ends saying it was the greatest time of their lives. And most likely you will too.

Posted at

Take your vitamins and go to class or you'll be attacked by english policemen with clubs…ok not really. But do take your vitamins. College kids are germy

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.