Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Forum Fighters! By Mettaur, Hakoshen, and TheFlyingGreenMonkey!

Posted at

Why can't the bowmen shot the Yari Ashigaru or Mamluk Cavalry? Why does he have to go after the Militia?
Well I already said in this sceneario the cavalry charged each other and the infantry were close behind. If they were all standing at the entrance to the bridge, the archer's line of sight would be completely blocked. In the time it would take him to move to the side to get a line of sight, the militia and ashigaru are on the bridge as well, more than likely with the militia in front.

Once agian why must the bowmen go after the only person with a shield? Also whats the length of both the Mongol's spear and the Yari's spear? Cause if the Mongol has the greater reach then he has the advantage.

The Bowmen's practice range was not allowed to be less than 220yds by order of Henry VIII. So he is fairly adept at shoting long range. I'm not saying he can hit all the time but an archer could hit a person at 165 meters "part of the time." And with a firerate of 11 arrows a minute I think he would be the key of the fight.

Even if he waits until they are in the "60 meter" sweet spot you mentioned they could take out the Yari or Mamluk before they could be a threat.

Well the first thing I said in that segment was he's going to kill the Mamluk; he's dead no matter how you look at it. Secondly, arrows were expensive, and they had to count. Practice range was as you described it, but in typical warfare conditions for the kind of smiping we're talking they waited until the infantry was closer. He could start shooting right away, but he's as likely to hit his own allies.

Plus, this archer is from the court of Henry V.

And the Ashigaru's spears were pretty long, as in upwards of 4 meters like most infantry, and Mongolian spears were more of lances so they were roughtly 3 meters, plus the Ashigaru's goal isn't necessarily to attack the rider, but the horse. Cavalry typically have the advantage over infantry, but spear infantry is the exception. One on one though, it really depends on how brave the horse is and how brave the spearman is. I the horse rears

But this is my sceneario. Mamluk charges,with Yari following close behind and then the Militia. Bowmen picks Mamluk off. Then picks off Yari. Only one left is Militia. Three vs. one team 1 wins.

Or Mamluk charges, with Militia followed by Yari. Bowmen picks off Mamluk. Can't pick off Militia. Caitherne charges at Militia. Militia dies(I like axes). Leaving Yari. Lets say Yari wins and Bowmen picks him off agian.

Team 1 wins.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

No, everyone can debate.

Oh.

Well here's how I see the fight going; The cavalry might charge each other in the middle of the bridge. Moving in a straight line it's essentially a joust, and the Mongolian cavalry will likely win, especially with his armor. The Arabian horse, being larger and more powerful than the Mongolian horse will probably panic or run, or with no real room to turn, he may very well fall off the bridge altogether. At this point the hoplite and ashigaru would have been close behind, as is the ceitherene, and the bowman could take a shot, but given the proximity of events he probably wont hit anything but the horse or the hopelite's shield.

With no additional room to charge, the Mongolian horse is now just a huge target, and is going to be easily killed by the survivors of team 2, and likely the rider as well. In a close battle between the hoplite and the ceitherne, the hoplite would probably win as his shield is not only massive, but impenetrable to the axe and a weapon in and of itself. Unless, however, the Ashigaru is hiding behind the hoplite, which he probably wouldn't, he's going to be easy prey for the bowman. Assuming then that the ashigaru is killed by the bowman, and the ceitherne by the hoplite, this leaves the hoplite versus the bowman.

English arrows were iron tipped and could pierce the steel plate of knights, much less the bronze plate of the hopelite. It all really depends on whether or not the bowman can get a shot, and bowmen typically, unless they were going to rain arrows on the enemy from afar would wait until the enemy was in very close proximity (say 20 meters or so) so he would be in prime shooting range. So if the archer was any typical archer, he's aiming for center mass, which means he's going to hit shield. His only real opportunity is to hit the hopelite's foot, and at any time the hopelite COULD use his spear in the means of a javelin, though not likely. So while we will assume the bowman is a professional soldier, he's not a tactical genius, and he's going to take the shot he can get, which means he's going to be killed.

Alternatively, if the cavalry did NOT charge, and waited in return, the Mamluk is going to be shot, no questions asked. At which point, all the Mongol and the bowman would have to do is back up while the ceithere engages them. Regardless of who they then choose to attack, they will be vulnerable from the other trooper. If the ashigaru attacked the mongolian, he would probably kill the horse and topple the horse, though he'd probably be killed by the fall itself or the Mongol's lance. Conversely, the previous argument regarding the hoplite and bowman would recommence. It's also possible though that the Mongol would dismount, and then he and the Ashigaru would be on equal ground.

So my vote is officially going to go to team 2.
The thing about axe not beating the shield isn't true. The axeman's axe is probably iron which will crush bronze shield.

The thing about spears is that if it misses the first lunge, then the time it takes to take the second lunge is an eternity in a fight.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

The thing about axe not beating the shield isn't true. The axeman's axe is probably iron which will crush bronze shield.

The thing about spears is that if it misses the first lunge, then the time it takes to take the second lunge is an eternity in a fight.

Probably iron, yes, but as History's Deadliest warrior proved if the full recourse of a steel polearm couldn't do more than dent a hoplite shield, which is bronze with multiple layers of wood, an iron axe wouldn't either.

As for missing a spear thrust being the end of the fight, well that's simply wrong. It takes no longer to thrust a spear than it does to swing a sword, plus given their weight they're fairly easy to strike with accurately. The militiaman *could* lock the spear down, but then he has to deal with the shield;

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

Probably iron, yes, but as History's Deadliest warrior proved if the full recourse of a steel polearm couldn't do more than dent a hoplite shield, which is bronze with multiple layers of wood, an iron axe wouldn't either.

As for missing a spear thrust being the end of the fight, well that's simply wrong. It takes no longer to thrust a spear than it does to swing a sword, plus given their weight they're fairly easy to strike with accurately. The militiaman *could* lock the spear down, but then he has to deal with the shield;

Man, Deadliest Warrior also told me that there's space in a lunge that isn't really present in a shorter range weapon. The weaponry is heavy though, so the fighting could be sluggish.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Well, it was perhaps wrong of me to say that a spear thrust is as quick, but it's certainly not a large gap of time. With a two handed grip on a sword, my experience suggests the sword is clearly faster because you're moving a shorter object in a smaller radius. The difference isn't phenomenal though, only in the fractions of a second, which at his long range gives him time for one, maybe two more strikes before being closed upon, and that too depends on how the person attacking the spear closed.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Ah, it's good to have Forum Fighters back!

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

Alright so I read over the scenario, and I'm wondering why the bowman doesn't just simply shoot at them until they go down. The calvary and welshman could just wait at their respective side while the bowman fires shot after shot into team 2. I mean the hoplite might survive, but the rest are done.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Well that's easy, the bowman has a very finite number of arrows. Sure he can keep shooting the hoplite's shield, because he and the ashigaru are going to hide behind it, and then he'll be toast.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

Well that's easy, the bowman has a very finite number of arrows. Sure he can keep shooting the hoplite's shield, because he and the ashigaru are going to hide behind it, and then he'll be toast.
I looked at that video, and it showed the shield not being that big. And I doubt the ashigaru isn't going to be hit.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Has anyone concidered the weather conditions?

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

And of course humid conditions would cause the armor to rust.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Yes, of course weight would be a factor in this fight, as well as possible diseases an other pre-existing ailments any of the fighters had upon entering the battle…

same
same
Posted at

I wouldnt say disease would be an important factor but i would say they're endurance would. For example. A swordsman would be able to take more damage than infantry. Also the endurance of armor. Couldn't a bullet pierce the armor?

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Diseases ARE an important factor! Someone should research the average length of a battle, some diseases can show symptoms real quick. Also, previous diseases can affect stamina, as Same already said.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Lets just assume they are all at healthy conditions before the fight, okay?

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

What about the conditions of both armor and weapons?

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

They are in good condition. Maybe team matches have too many factors to consider…meh, still gonna finish it though.

Also, see if you can make a commercial for Forum Fighters! Winner will be picked by me, Hako, and TFGM. Winning video will be posted on Youtube.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

They are in good condition. Maybe team matches have too many factors to consider…meh, still gonna finish it though.

Also, see if you can make a commercial for Forum Fighters! Winner will be picked by me, Hako, and TFGM. Winning video will be posted on Youtube.
More votes are in Team 1.

So get your artist to whip something up to show this before everyone changes their mind.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

]More votes are in Team 1.

More votes?? Heck, if I hadn't decided to spice things up by arguing for team 2 it'd probably be universal.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

I have no idea where Shaz is, anyone want to stand in as a temporary artist on the Forum, to keep people interested?

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

]More votes are in Team 1.

More votes?? Heck, if I hadn't decided to spice things up by arguing for team 2 it'd probably be universal.
Your dissent must be silenced!

Posted at

I have no idea where Shaz is, anyone want to stand in as a temporary artist on the Forum, to keep people interested?
Too busy, essay.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

I would, if I wasn't such a lazy bastard. '

I might do it if someone sends me a script for it. Like how many panels, what should be in each page. Stuff like that.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.