Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Funny, stupid words and things specific to your country, region whatever...?

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

hella - meaning lots, an extreme amount
dank
gnarly

^other words describing awesome.

i can't think of any others off the top of my head.

amanda
amanda
Posted at

"Dank" for "Awesome?" Wow, that's a new one. I learned the dictionary meaning of "dank" from watching the My Little Pony movie XD

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

Claggy
Hmm, Clag is a brand of glue here, usually used by children because it's simple and "safe". I wonder if there's a relationship?
Strange. "Clag" can be used as a verb. Sticky sweets can clag your teeth together, for example. But I just checked wiki and with my resident Geordie expert (Mrs DAJB ) and it appears to be nothing more than a spooky coincidence. Wiki describes Clag (the glue) as an Australian brand and Mrs D confirms she's never heard of it up there in Geordieland.

Maybe it was invented by a Geordie emigrant to Australia. Assuming you allow Geordies in, over there!

lba
lba
Posted at

Is "brand spankin' new" something that's Texas-only? I can't tell anymore ^.^
The rest of us stopped using it so much in recent years, but you'll still hear it in other states once in a while.

Someone mentioned names for police so here's a few more from the US. The Fuzz, The 5-0, Pigs, Bacon, Smokey's ( for how you should burn rubber when you see one in the car. ), Goon Squad, Po-Po's, Vic's ( refers to the Ford Crown Victoria, which is standard for most departments. ), Neo-Nazi's ( this one isn't used often, and I usually only hear people call them that when they've gotten a ticket or something. )

And a few more for Iowa/ the US

Coon: Both the animal and a derogatory name for a black person. I don't know how the name came about, but it is on par with calling someone a n**ger so it's one to avoid.

10 points, 20 points, etc.: A jogger or other goofy looking person walking down the street. As far as I know, people us this one across the whole country.

I'm going to have to keep an ear out for some more Iowa phrases. I don't usually pay attention to how they talk here.

JoeL_CQB
JoeL_CQB
Posted at

i like the term Po-Po :)

"that goes" is another one for cool

and there's also "audi 5000" which is suppose to sound like "outie 5000" which means "i'm out of here"

came from the car audi 5000 which has a really responsive gas pedal.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Bunyip
-Big ugly monster that haunts outback watering holes in the bush, waiting to catch some unwary camper.

Billabong
-Name for a bush watering hole, the kind that a Bunyip likes to hang around.

You know, when I was little I watched an Australian cartoon called "Dot and the Kangaroo". I guess it taught me a lot more about Australia than I realized.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

In the UK we had Rolf Harris, who taught us all we needed to know about billabongs:

More Midlands:

Jitty: A narrow alleyway between houses usually leading to an adjacent street.

Mardy: A person who is petulantly sulking is said to be mardy, as in, " That mardy bastard won't come out of the jitty mi duck!"

Posted at

It's may be a regional thing, I don't know, but in the state of New York more than anywhere, I've heard people call shopping carts the following:

-Shopping trolley
-Buggy
-Basket

All three of those boil my blood with incredible rage because a cart is nothing like any of those three descriptions in my opinion.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

10 points, 20 points, etc.:
I think that came from "Death Race 2000." XD
XD or a sketch about driving on the Red Skelton show. (I'm not old I just had to do a unit on him in theater class.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Mardy: A person who is petulantly sulking is said to be mardy, as in, " That mardy bastard won't come out of the jitty mi duck!"
I had a pommy friend who said used that a lot :)
-Shopping trolley
That's what they're called in Australia ;)
But then, nothing else is called a "trolley" here so the use of that word is completely unconflicted.
What in the U.S. you might call a "trolley" or a "street car", we call a tram.

What in the US is called a "train car" is called a "train carriage" here.

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

In England, we have the word 'Muggle' which mea-

I've said too much.

Expelliarmus!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

You have chavs and hoodies too. Charming creatures.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wicked.
That one is pretty universal in English.

Posted at

Wicked.

Really? As in that's wicked good?

Posted at

Wicked.

yeah.

also, I just want to say that in Australia, we don't say shrimp, we say prawn. So that whole "Put another shrimp on the barbie" thing is wrong.

We do say Barbie though.

Posted at

Wicked.

yeah.

also, I just want to say that in Australia, we don't say shrimp, we say prawn. So that whole "Put another shrimp on the barbie" thing is wrong.

We do say Barbie though.

I've got nothing then. I wish I was from Australia.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I've got nothing then. I wish I was from Australia.
You might get attacked by a drop bear :(

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

"Making groceries" instead of shopping for groceries.
"I can?" instead of "Can I?"
"Erl" and "Berl" instead of oil and boil.
The first syllable of every word is emphasized: "PO-lice"; "DE-troit"; "TU-lane", etc.

I wish I could think of more. New Orleans folk gots bucketloads of 'em.

timlight
timlight
Posted at

doorbell names of my Filipino friends & neighbors:
Dingdong
Ding
Dong
Bing
Bong
Bong Bong
Ping
Pong
8D

istaerlus
istaerlus
Posted at

I can't think of any phrases from the part of Canada I live in (southern Ontario) other then Shwa' which is a nickname for the city of Oshawa. I had a teacher from Nova Scotia that called running shoes sneakers and note books scribblers. There was an old Molson commercial that said at least twenty different Canadian terms but I don't remember it.

Oh, and the letter Z is supposed to be pronounced zed not zee.

My family calls low growing ornamental junipers spithers and calls toasters toast-poppers but I think that's just my family and not the rest of Canada.

And I've rarely heard anyone in Canada actually say eh.

istaerlus
istaerlus
Posted at

I found that commercial I was talking about.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

When I was growing up, one of the shows always on after school was Beahcombers. We loved that show :)
They said "a-boot" and "eh" a lot in that. Classic Canadian TV. ^__^

"toast-poppers" lol! I love it!

doorbell names of my Filipino friends & neighbors:
Dingdong
Ding
Dong
Bing
Bong
Bong Bong
Ping
Pong
That is amazingly hilarious!
"PO-lice"; "DE-troit"
Hahaha! I thought that was all America :)
————–

Guys, those Dot films are state of the art Aussie animation brilliance… Seriously, it's about the best we can manage. -_-
Well, The Magic Pudding was pretty good, but I doubt any of you saw that .

lba
lba
Posted at

That is amazingly hilarious!
"PO-lice"; "DE-troit"
Hahaha! I thought that was all America :)

Heck no. Up in Detroit we tend to pronounce the middle of the word. So instead of DE-troit, it's de-TROI-t. And PO-lice is po-LI-ce. Michiganders also have an unusual way of saying the "A" sound. Apparently we draw them out and say it more like Ah than Aa. So about becomes Ahbout.

I also forgot, in Detroit, Popeye's is pretty much the same as fried chicken.

There's also plenty of terms in the US for getting drunk. We're pretty good at coming up with those though I don't know how many of them are universal or heard in other countries. Stuff like, plastered, hammered, s**t-faced, wasted, blacked-out, blitzed, bombed, tanked, buzzed, blasted, krunk, yeagered, trashed, looped, blank, etc.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.