Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Hero
Hero
Posted at

In the world of Comics? Dwayne McDuffie. The guy's awesome! He created his own comic book universe, wrote for Spiderman and is die-hard to old comic book conventions.

Posted at

Ohgod Aeon, you just took me back to last year. I had to write a report on some sort of important person for english, and I did it on Jim Henson. Yeah, I totally failed. xD But I'm pretty sure that was because my english teacher was a bitch and hated me?

Also, I am seconding: Danny Elfman, and sort of Tim Burton.

I wouldn't really call these people my heroes though. Just people I idolise. I don't really have any heroes. If someone comes and saves me from getting run over (seriously, it's probably quite easy. I never stop, look and listen) you'll be my hero. But anyway - ones of my own are…Dylan Moran, Sherryl Jordan…and I think M.C.Escher is pretty neat too. Also House is my fictional idol.

I don't actually really read comics, so I don't have any comic people. I just read webcomics. And none of those dudes and dudettes would really be my heroes/idols. I reckon in real life they'd be kinda wack.

EDIT: And batman.

Jiken
Jiken
Posted at

I'd say future Jiken is my hero.I mean come on the ladies want him the guys wanna be him and he rules the friggen world.

Kota
Kota
Posted at

Here are my heroes. Instead of explaining why I'll let you Google them and read their stories for yourselves.

Douglas Adams
Berkley Breathed
Jim Henson
Gary Larson
Andy Partridge
Colin Moulding
John Linnel
Scott McCloud

Edit: Late edition for something he did here on the forums.
SpANG

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

He's just not my cup of tea. I've read the obligatory Miller works… they're just not for me. But I'm glad to know it's not my ovaries holding me back. ;)

Well, unless something went terribly wrong, I don't have ovaries. But I don't really love Frank Miller's stuff either. Batman: Year One is probably the best thing he's done. However then you've got writers like Alan Moore and artists/writers like Mike Mignola. Also many of the Vertigo people write better than him.

I guess it's just because he introduced something new to the industry, or at least something that had been missing. I don't define him as a great writer, though. His stories are hit or miss because he usually forgets to add a point in his stories where the reader goes through a catharsis.

marine
marine
Posted at

I'm a fan of people that made themselves into what they are, guys like Kevin Smith or Richard Kirkman, the guys that started without shit and became something.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Robert Kirkman.

jgib99
jgib99
Posted at

Okay. Some of my heroes.

Comics and Art:
Bill Watterson, Alan Davis, Jack Kirby, Gary Larsen, Warren Ellis, H.R. Giger

Others:
Everyone from Monty Python, Steven Speilberg, David Fincher, Ian Flemming, Samuel L. Jackson (because he's a bad motherf***er!!), and Kevin Smith.

Posted at

Everyone from Monty Python

I feel terrible for forgetting about them in my previous post. :(

Oh, and I have another hero to add:
CAPTAIN PLANET!
I mean, come on, he's our hero. He's gonna take pollution down to zero.

Also, Wakko, Yakko, and Dot should all be mentioned as well.

Posted at

Off the top of my head…

- Marcel DuChamp
- Maurizio Cattelan
- Bill Watterson

When I told a classmate that my two favourite artists are DuChamp and Cattelan, she concluded that I must like the tricksters. Which I suppose is a pretty accurate thing to say. I like the tricksters but not the pranksters.

I also like the fact that these guys aren't afraid to do whatever they want and whatever they do is done with purpose and thought.

herio
herio
Posted at

i have no heros

Juliechan
Juliechan
Posted at

I have a long list but my top three would have to be Onezumi from Onezumi.com who inspired me to just keep trying and actually is the one reason I have a webcomic today. I only wish I wasn't such a chicken so I could e-mail her and thank her for everything she's done for me.
My next would probably be my college friend Robin. She always made me feel good about myself and everything in general. she doesn't care what people think as long as she's happy with herself. She's funny, smart and simply amazing. I hope that someday I can be just like her!!!
Last and not least, would have to be…the author Fransesca Lia Block (sp?)Her books/stories are amazing and SO insperational. When I read her books I can't be breathe, it's like I half expect something magical to happen. Her writing and her stories are simply beautiful with a dark side that can't even be explained.

Thank you to all of them! <333

PlayerOne
PlayerOne
Posted at

WALT DISNEY WAS AN EVIL, EVIL MAN!!!

Anyhoo, I idolize people like Darwin and Jesus (Only when he's a superhero, though).

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

Bill Waterson, Gary Larson, Scott McCloud, Eddie Campbell, Nate Piekos, Jim Henson, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchet, Neil Gaiman, and Blake Edwards (director of the Great Race, and the Pink Panther Movies.)

There you go, me in a nutshell.

Posted at

The good hardworking people that keep the free world the free world
Leonardo Davinci
Frank Frazetta
Jules Verne
Kenny Baker—R2-D2
BECK
Trent Reznor
Simon Bisely
Sam Keith
Robert Smith
the dudes that made Cowboy Beebop
the unknpwn inventor of Jell-o
the unknown Inventor of Indoor Plumbing.
and
GOD—the inventor of everything.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Urk!

The "Free world" people can spin on their porpganda filled bottoms.
Davinci gets far too much credit…
Frazetta was a brilliant illustrator!
Verne was a clever bloke, a passonate republican and a real lover of France.
Baker was Great in the Time Bandits.
Beck is cool.
Closer is a great song ^_^
Bisley is a cool artist.
Love the MAXX.
The Cure make great pop.
Cowboy Beebop is fantastic.
Jell-o was invented by whatever company exectutive founded the product… Where-as jelly is an extremely old desert. ^_^
Indoor plubing is indeed good.
God didn't invent anything I've done :P

marine
marine
Posted at

I like Howard Stern a lot. I listen to his shit every chance I get.

Another guy I really like is John Carpenter. Some of his work kind of piltered out, but his best is so much better then anything other directors have done. Even his worst isn't so bad. He's given us some classic genre movies, and as a person is truely an inspiration. Also his work on Masters of Horror is not to be missed. His first season episode was

I should stop typeing.

sandy
sandy
Posted at

Okay I have some heroes of my own. And of course heroines.

My favorite heroine: Anne Marie Lucas, who happens to be an ASPCA officer in New York. She's featured on Animal Cops on Animal Planet.

- Whoopi Goldberg : An actress who can play many roles in many films and still be as dynamic as ever.

- Jodi Foster: Great actress, take the world in your hands kind of person.

now for my heroes.

Steve Erwin: Crikey what a naturalist!

Jeff Corwin: Almost as crazy as Steve but not quite there. He's from my neck of the woods. Still great naturalist.

Dr. Dave Panciera: From Emergency Vets on Animal Planet. Saves many animal lives every day.

And as for my heroic artist..

George Lucas

Walt Disney

Jim Henson

Stephen Speilberg

And who can not like Chuck Jones?

Posted at

Frazetta was a brilliant illustrator!

i remember seeing the doc on frazetta "painting with fire", that guy was like a renaissance man. he did martial arts, knew how to really pitch a baseball and rode a bad ass motorcycle.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

i remember seeing the doc on frazetta "painting with fire", that guy was like a renaissance man. he did martial arts, knew how to really pitch a baseball and rode a bad ass motorcycle.
Heh, I know this old crazy hippie American who runs a dark, crowded second hand bookshop, he used to talk about playing softball or baseball or something with Frazetta back in the 70's… Lucky bastard.

Posted at

he had a stroke and couldn't use his right hand. the amazing part was he was able to teach himself how to paint with his left

Adariel
Adariel
Posted at

My father. nuff said.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.