Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Well he did get stabbed with his own knife.

Today, I had an examination. A year earlier than the majority of the country's pupils. Apparently, it's because our school has the top 10% of England kind of thing. The exam was kind of troublesome, but not as you might think. for one thing, it ate up my lunch time (pun, LAWL) and secondly, it was a two hour exam. I finished it in 45 minutes. Most of us did it at that time, or less. We were the smart kids. Well, the smart kids of the smart kids. This left us with an hour doing nothing, besides the odd answer checking. One of the examiners caught me doing magic tricks.

I know I did good on that, I didn't even study for it.

If we're talking teenage subcultures, then our school has these:

- Chavs
- Emos
- Rudeboys
- Neeks (nerd+geeks)
- Mainstreamers (scene kids, preppies, whatever)
- Drifters

I'm a drifter, I get along with most people, and i don't really have anyone I hate, or people that hate me. Hopefully. What's more cruel is the relationships between different years/grades. We, in year 10/10th grade, are not very nice to the lower pupils, especially since we've been given power by senior staff to order them around. That's not to say I don't get along with some. I do.

I win at school. Seriously.

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I worked hard in high school. I have no idea what anyone said about me because I really wasn't paying attention. I had no idea who was popular, who wasn't, who did drugs, and who was wierd. I'm not saying I had a blast the whole 4 years, but it wasn't too bad, and 5 years later I am still close with my best friends from school. Looking back, if I could do it again I would take the social world of high school even less seriously.

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I never understood the American education tiers, i.e. who belongs in Middle school, Sophomores, Varsity. All I know is that I'm 15, and I'm in Year 10.

And I like it a lot.

English Schooling is so much simpler, isn't it?

Year 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Primary School.
Year 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. High School.
Year 12, 13. Sixth Form.
Any more schooling=College, then University.

Anyways, High School was the best time of my life.

Booze, chicas, pissing around with my friends.

High school rocked, you think it's bad now? Wait till you start working full time.

Nothing changes, it just gets worse, because now you are getting paid to pay bills and take shit.

Welcome to Adulthood, here's your first paycheck!

Where did all my money go!?

TAX MOTHERFUCKER.

The best course to getting through high school in one piece? Stop caring.

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

I pretty much hate my high school. It's not just that I can't stand most of the people in my high school, it's also that I'm very disappointed with a lot of my classes and the teachers, too.

For one thing, my high school is just about 500 students big. I think my class is one of the bigger ones, around 190 students. That being said, there aren't that many "cliques" per say, but there are certain social statuses, although everyone pretty much hangs out with everyone else, and we are all generally nice to each other. No gang activity, no violence, and not an extensive use of drugs (my school is mainly a drinking school). However, if you get one person angry, you'll nearly get the entire school angry with you, since everyone is friends with everyone else. It's as though you've got to like everyone or no one at all. And God forbid if you ever really hate anyone, or rub anyone the wrong way.

I generally take the loner approach. I've got a few close friends, but they aren't in any of my classes this year, or the next, since I'm taking either off-campus classes at nearby colleges or I'm taking independent study courses. I generally hang out with the boys more than I do girls. Girls are so dramatic and stupid and whiney, at least where I live.

One of the biggest disappointments about my high school is how poor the classes and teachers are. You've got some of the good ones, like my chemistry teacher or choir teacher (although I think he had a really bad time in high school, so he's trying to relive it as a "cool" person and is succeeding in being so in the "asshole" kind of way) but a very large number of my teachers are horrible. My freshmen year math teacher resigned due to mental health issues, and throughout the year we had at least 20 different teachers, my really awesome foods teacher, in the same year, resigned because she was being harrassed by the other (at less talented) foods teacher. Our strongest Spanish Teacher died last year from cancer (Rest in Peace, Mrs. Schwagger) and we have one French teacher who doesn't really care about anything. Nearly all of the female teachers have been pregnant at least once, if not twice in the time I have been in high school (around 3 years). My freshmen year English teacher not only hated me (and vice versa), but also had questionable mental health and I find it sort of a miracle that she even got a teaching license. I actually drove her out of the school (I am fiercely passionate about English) and can safely say she was the worst teacher I have ever had, ever. The entire English department of my school is a wreck (discluding the crazy teacher I just mentioned) and the strongest English teacher in the school district is a 7th and 8th genius by the name of Mr. Johnson. Almost all of the English teachers in the high school either hate their life, hate Mr. Johnson, hate kids, or hate English. The Math and Science departments are okay, with the Chemistry and Physics teacher, Mr. Stimpert, being one of the smartest persons I have ever met. My school also has a main focus on sports and a disregard for the Fine Arts Department, and tries to squeeze as much money out of you as possible ($100 for a yearly parking spot for your car and at least a $20 fee for any after-school activity you choose to do). Where that money goes, I have no idea.

I am going to write a book called "How High School Ruined My Education."

FoxmanZEO
FoxmanZEO
Posted at

My school's curriculum was fucked up beyond all recognition.

I just grit my teeth and waded through their crap, admittedly picking up the occasional nugget in maths, while teaching myself as much as possible.

Eg.
English every term:

-Autobiography: Almost everyone uses the first example on the pink sheet, fishing trip.
No actual biography required. And god forbid you should express an opinion.

-Book review x2: Read a book, review it.

We were once told to do a vignette, that was my favourite assignment ever, there was no template, no examples to copy from, just us versus the English language.

My teacher refused to believe that someone could create a vivid scene from thin air, so I got marked down for creativity.

(Fun fact: Almost everyone else still used a fishing trip as the setting.)

Posted at

I'm sorry to hear that you've had a rough time of it. One of the things is, it's not a crime to dress any certain way, but people are going to react to certain things as a trigger or a key to something else. For example, for me, the Pentacle means something very positive, divine, and beautiful. To others, they see an evil, satanic symbol. If someone tells me they're uncomfortable with it, I'll tuck my pentacle in my shirt, so long as they're being respectful about it.

My high school experiences were…weird. I'd already been ostracized long before, so by that point I was bitter with social contact. I felt either pitied or simply despised a lot, so no one even had to do something to make me feel bad. ^_^ Of course, my last year there was much better, when I started to make peace with myself. High school is a high-pressure environment, where the people who are supposed to be paid aren't getting nearly enough money, and students aren't getting any motivation to get good grades except "It's really bad if you don't". Meh, I don't wanna get into that.

Basically, try to tough it out, forgive people if they're immature, give people credit for trying, and accept that no one else can tell you who you are. :)

And for the record? College= MUCH better. The social environment is absolutely different, with only a few exceptions. Best of luck. ^^

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

I was in one of those schools for "Bright people who learn differently". Half of the student body made up the people who really did not get along well in regular school, and the other half was a bunch of rich kids who were too lazy to do school work. I'm dead serious. Being one of the only private schools in the area that wasn't religious nor gender specific, we ended up with a lot of rich folks.

I typically hung out with the first group I mentioned, as I fell into their category. For the most part, I got along fairly well. Sure, I got ostracized sometimes, but it vanished after a while, with the exception of some of those freakin' rich people. Some were extremely immature, and those were the ones who got on my nerves.

As for the group I hung out with, during my senior I was so oblivious that it took me until the second semester to realize that the people I hung out with most were at least 75% female, so I literally perked up one day and said "You know what? I just realized most of you are girls…"

There were a few upsides for having rich people among us, too: Our senior pranks were the absolute BEST! We'd basically excessively decorate all of the rooms that didn't contain expensive equipment with their own themes and it would often take a long time for classes to begin again.

suzi
suzi
Posted at

I finished high school last week, my graduation ceremony is tomorrow :D

I have to say I loved it. My combination of apathy, thirst for knowledge, intuition and empathy allowed me to find the perfect social niche and maintain an impressive academic career.

I was homeschooled my entire life until 9th grade. I was so overwhelmed by school and everything about it, but managed to get a 4.0 gpa for the first two years. I wore myself out, I worked so intensely. I also made friends with the nucleus of the same social group I'm in now: dedicated, quirky, intellectual, geeky kids who have no interest in breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules like so many others.

I think the best thing about how high school turned out socially for me is that, in a school ABSOLUTELY DOMINATED by super-rich overly competitive white preppies (there was a book written about how insane MY HIGH SCHOOL IN PARTICULAR is), I managed to completely ignore them. In freshman year, a bunch of girls tried to intimidate me into recognizing their social hierarchy, but I ignored them, smiling cordially and turning away whenever they jeered at me.

I had a boyfriend for two years who was wonderful while it lasted and kept me together mentally. Eventually we realized we were too different, and broke up; after that, I went for a 7-8 month period of falling in love with various close friends of mine until last September. Since then I've had two boyfriends (Alex and Kit, for those who read my comic), both wonderful, wonderful unique boys who follow their own path without regard for whatever is considered mainstream or not. To me, rebellion is simply ignoring the patterns and expectations of social norms, not denying them.

God…I really, really loved high school. I'm almost sad it's over…(but the work was annoying this year. Even though I had wonderful classes and wonderful teachers and did so well…)

*nostalgic sigh*

TheTopHat
TheTopHat
Posted at

i quite high school.

…thinking about it im a dropout, how the hell am i in uni?
*mind expolds*

Posted at

I left high school a good two years ago, and well i did not like it much. I was a nerd, so there where always the ones who would pick on me, some of them where my close friends a year before it all happened.
I hung out with nerds, geeks, skaters in general the rest of the rejects if it will. It would get to the points where there where times i did contemplate just dropping out of high school. It was really bad.
Was picked on because frankly i was smart, blond, well spoken and enjoyed video games.
I counted down the days to the end, looking forward to college so much.

Im gladly there now, i just finished my first course to find that everyone there was fantastic, there where no bad people on there at all, we all just got on.
As the course went on got to find out that the 'popular' kids have failed in what they wanted to do and are not liked in general. It was wrong of me to think like this but i was happy they failed.
Just about to start the national diploma in pastry and cake crafts. Got a great job with chances of moving on to a 5 star hotel(so im sorted when it comes to jobs), a fantastic girlfriend. A really fantastic girlfriend.
Just shows that things do get better.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

High school is alright. This year (Junior year) is almost over, and that's a good thing. It's the "year of pain" as far as workload is concerned, but that's basically over and done with except for 1 and a half weeks and then finals. Ah finals…

And next year I'm taking three art themed courses. So that's always nice to think about.

Katch
Katch
Posted at

I'm graduating High School on the fourteenth, but ANYWAY
it really wasn't that great, i have to say.
The only senior activity's i'll end up doing is Graduation and Grad Night~
=/

Ummm, the craziest thing i did during the year was get the honored " Artist of the Year" award~ yey for me~

i got like, sleuths of ribbons for my artwork and uhh…yeah
so that was the highlight~

mostly though, all but a few select teachers were crab cakes and i was lazy throughout ninth through twelfth grade.

=P

Posted at

9th grade-Had a small group of friends. Didn't really fit in too well and then one of my friends left school cause the rest of the group got into anime and she hated it.

10th grade- I had no friends. tenth grade sucked.

11th and 12th grade-I was on my school's literary magazine staff for two years. These were the best years in high school. Access to photoshop and in design anytime I wanted. Good art years too. :3 And I actually patched up things with some of my old friends and made some new ones. o_0

Posted at

I just graduated high school. I hated the start of it and in the end I still did. I didn't realy lurn anything in high school. I was emo for my first year. My second year I got this awsome friend and we did evrything together till my last year of school were he told me how crapy of a friend I was. That is how that friendship ended. Then I got the greatest friends of my life wich was also my D&D group. They made my last year of high school liveable. So that was it. I hope college is a lot better. And thats it for me.

P.S. guys 95% of the time guys make a lot better friends than girls…. theres less drama in your life without girls.

Posted at

P.S. guys 95% of the time guys make a lot better friends than girls…. theres less drama in your life without girls.

As a girl, I agree. Girls are scary…

suzi
suzi
Posted at

As a girl, I agree. Girls are scary…

TOTAL AGREEMENT. Of my 10 closest friends, only two of them are female and one of them pisses me off 98% of the time and the other 40% of the time, the guys never more than 10%. Girls are usually more boring and gossipy, stagnant (and if they aren't they're painfully sporty), not willing to take silly risks…I know it's stereotyping but…BLUHHH. I need to be around people who actually talk about THINGS and are FUNNY and aren't afraid to actually go out and explore the world around them. Girls, in my experience, never really want to. ):<

Of course I am a girl, but I'm very entrenched in my little social group as not a tomboy but something important. I feel kind of bad for the girlfriend of a close friend of mine, because when she's around us it's so obvious that she's just…the girlfriend.

XD sorry, spontaneous ramble because I saw something I care about.

matteblack
matteblack
Posted at

Ugh…high school, so long ago I think I've forgot how crappy it was, but I suppose it will all come rushing back at the 20 year reunion…if I go.

Posted at

My classes are too easy:\

practicly every student says F*** after every other word, and the girls are way too emotional:P

Posted at

Thanks for the agreement I too am a girl and I just think other girls create to much drama in their lifes for me to handel. I'm sorry but in life there are more importan things than why so stupid guy didn't comment on my hair. I agree with the statement that girls are WAY to emotional at time. I also have olny one friend that is a girl. And that was mainly only because she was the first person who talked to me at my ending high school. She dosn't realy fit in with my group of guy friends. Witch are eather the pritty much the school computer geeks, but they will back me up any time cause im the only girl in the computer room that will talk to them :) So no one stealing my friends at least. Okay I ranted enough to make you all sick so bye for now.

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

Agreed. I totally felt that way in highschool, particularly. My group of friends was all the honors geeks… In honors classes there were generally a few preppy kids, a few total loser dorks (oh, lord how we judged them… the D&D playing, computer programming, socially inept kids. God bless them,) and my group of friends. We weren't really anything. My group was mostly girls (entirely girls except for my best friend for the past twelve years, N,) and there was a group of guys on a similar social level that we used as kind of a dating pool. So incestual. But if given the chance I'd rather hang out with the guy group any day. They were much less with the drama. It's funny, because now two of my favorite people, my roommates and good friends, are lesbians, and N (who's still my best friend seven years after graduating from high school… sweet Jesus I feel old,) came out of the closet right after graduating high school. Of all my closest and enduring friends only one is a straight female. ;)

High school was pretty miserable. Everything was just so massively important all the time. Every insult wrecked my world, every set-back was monumental, every crush was an earth-shattering love. And I think that it's that way for a lot of people… your body is going crazy, everyone starts talking about this mysterious 'future,' and how you'd better start figuring out what you're going to do with the rest of your life. There was all this drama about sex, and drinking, and all my guy friends and boy friends smoking pot, and me being the freak who wasnt' interested.

Highschool ended with the worst summer I've ever had. Seriously. One of my best male friends hung himself right after we graduated. I was date raped. N came out to me before anyone else, and that was a pretty big weight on my shoulders. Breaking up with long time boyfriend because I was going to college and he wasn't. Trying to plan my move to college in the middle of all this, trying to deal with the crushing weight of my own importance… High school was just a time when I was so stuck in my own head… Well. Anyway. It was a small town, full of drama and not a lot else. High school was enough to make me want to never bring a child into the world, because they shouldn't have to go through it. I remember all the teachers in high school telling us over and over again that "These are the best years of your life! You'd better enjoy them!" but that's a lie. High school was the time of their lives, and that's how the ended up teaching at the same HS they attended, in the same town they were born in, and the same town they'll die in. Up until six months ago, I would have said college was the best year of my life, but now… I think this adulthood thing could turn out okay. Guess I sound pretty bitter about HS, still, but I'm pretty much over it. Don't honestly think about it much, unless N has some news about someone from our hometown (mostly babies and marriages.) It was a long time ago.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

The beautiful place where I learned to develop my beautiful views of this very nice beautiful planet.

YEAH!!! I LOVE HIGH SCHOOL! OH HIGH SCHOOL! I MISS YOU SO MUCH BECAUSE I LOVE YOU!!! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH THAT I'LL TRAVEL A MILLION MILES AROUND THE WORLD JUST TO GET TO YOU AND JUMP THROUGH RINGS OF FIRE… OOH HIGH SCHOOL MY DARLING LOVE!!! I CAN WRITE AN ENTIRE POEM AS LONG AS THE AENID DECLARING MY UNDYING LOVE FOR YOU, OH HIGH SCHOOL!!!

(*as you can see… even if you are an idiot, you'd sniff out the sarcasm on this post. haha*)

ZeroVX
ZeroVX
Posted at

After looking at some of the more depressing stories, I have this to say:

I would like to find the one who said "High school years are the best years of your life!" and bitch-slap him.

So far, all high school has done is bore me to death. I can't wait for finals to be over.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.