Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Randal
Randal
Posted at

Recently, a bunch of us in #drunkduck chat have been addicted to a java game called Powder which you can find HERE.

Though it doesn't look like much at first, you'll soon find yourself being late for work, school, and you will have a hard time getting your homework done. Since we've started playing, there have been many additions to the game.

If you like simulation games like Sim Earth and… well… the Sims… you will find yourself sitting in front of this little screen for hours on end coming up with new ways to grow plants, freeze things, bounce rubber balls and blow crap up.

You'll find yourself saying things like "too much magma" and "needs more C-4"

Posted at

Damn you. That's all I really need to say. I had never heard of this devil's game until now. Actually it isn't really a game…it's just…there. This is truly inhuman.

Ooh, wait, if I add some fireworks under my improvised roof…sorry guys, I've gotta go!

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Wow, that's a pretty nifty little thing.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

Damn you. That's all I really need to say. I had never heard of this devil's game until now. Actually it isn't really a game…it's just…there. This is truly inhuman.

Ooh, wait, if I add some fireworks under my improvised roof…sorry guys, I've gotta go!

I take no responsibility. After all, I did warn you.

#drunkduck chat

):

What?

I'm there right now…

See that animated button in my sig?

Yeah, that one.

Posted at

And I thought I was going to sleep tonight.

Haha, how naive.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

What?
I got banned and have yet to be told why.

Send me a PQ with the particulars and I'll get it sorted out. If anyone else is having this problem, please do the same. (If I don't get right back with you, I will when I'm done driving for the day. Or you could PQ one of the other channel operators. Killersteak, Blu, Lak, Poinko, Blues or TheDoctor.)

And I thought I was going to sleep tonight.

Haha, how naive.

That's happened to me too. "holy crap, it's 7:00am?!"

Randal
Randal
Posted at

I've actually played similar games before.

This is by far the best one, though.

While bouncing the pink balls, growing plants with the right balance of seed, powder and water & blowing things around with wind is fun… my favorite thing by far is blowing things up and setting things on fire. Especially if I can set it up Rube Goldberg style.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Blowing up the little fighters is best ^_^
My fave thing at the moment is to make a lake of magma, then make a lake of oil above it using ice as a support. Mix in a little gunpowder and fireworks into the oil here and there, then put some uneven ice cup things under the main oil lake. Lastly I fill the oil like with fighters!

Then I erase a tiny section of the oil lake's ice support and watch that oil drain slowly from one ice thingo to the other and then into the magma… Eventually you get a flare-up that melts the ice and sends everything into the magma at once for all sorts of fun explosions :)

worstcase
worstcase
Posted at

Oh wow. I am supposed to be studying for exams but i just clicked that cursed link! I guess i can always retake 9th grade…

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

the program is very interesting. i like how water makes magma turn to stone, magma turns ice to water, etc. the stuff reacts with each other.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

They just added a new toy. Nitro is an explosive liquid. I'll leave you all to your happy destroying.

Posted at

I love the nitro. Nitro and oil. And little people. And happy fire.

This time-waster is too much fun!

Posted at

They just added a new toy. Nitro is an explosive liquid. I'll leave you all to your happy destroying.

Yeah, the nitro isn't showing up on mine. Anyone know what's going on?

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

Man, this thing is insane. I love how addictive simple stuff like this can be.

Edit: I've got a weird little ecosystem thing going right now. Basically what I did was a made healthy layer of water, powder, and seeds. Dropped them all down, let the seeds grow for a few minutes. The plants got pretty big, but had basically stopped by the time I got back.

Next step: Dropped just a tiny bit of magma onto the biggest plant and all hell broke loose.

The wood burns, and when it burns it doesn't just burn away the plant, but also creates an updraft, sending nearby powder scattering. If a seed bumps into powder in mid-air, it freezes in place and starts growing. The fire shoots sparks, powder, seeds, and water into the air, which join and slowy start forming these floating wooden structures, until a spark touches any part of the wood, then that whole thing bursts into flames, repeating the process, only bigger.

At this point I can turn away from the screen for 30 seconds, and by the time I turn back the screen has changed completely. I would have thought that by now either the fires would have burned out or all the wood would have been burnt, but they both just keep replenishing. I'm just now introducing fighters into the mix, but they don't seem to be having any real effect on it. Does give me something to focus on, though…

Posted at

It's like beer…

Behold, Two-Legged Monkey Town.

Now to add the fire…

Posted at

Man, this thing is insane. I love how addictive simple stuff like this can be.

Edit: I've got a weird little ecosystem thing going right now. Basically what I did was a made healthy layer of water, powder, and seeds. Dropped them all down, let the seeds grow for a few minutes. The plants got pretty big, but had basically stopped by the time I got back.

Next step: Dropped just a tiny bit of magma onto the biggest plant and all hell broke loose.

The wood burns, and when it burns it doesn't just burn away the plant, but also creates an updraft, sending nearby powder scattering. If a seed bumps into powder in mid-air, it freezes in place and starts growing. The fire shoots sparks, powder, seeds, and water into the air, which join and slowy start forming these floating wooden structures, until a spark touches any part of the wood, then that whole thing bursts into flames, repeating the process, only bigger.

At this point I can turn away from the screen for 30 seconds, and by the time I turn back the screen has changed completely. I would have thought that by now either the fires would have burned out or all the wood would have been burnt, but they both just keep replenishing. I'm just now introducing fighters into the mix, but they don't seem to be having any real effect on it. Does give me something to focus on, though…

Yeah, mine's doing that now too. It's actually really interesting to watch.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It's like beer…

Now to add the fire…
That's beautiful!

…Something I tried: made a circle of C4 in the centre of the screen, filled it almost to the top with nitro, then surrounded that with another circle and filled that to the top with superballs… Then touched some fire to the nitro.

The result was magical ^__^
All the balls went crazy! The result of the initial shock was so cool; they blasted out and then all bounced back into the middle where the nitro had been in a massive blob, before blasting out again at random.

Posted at

It's like beer…

Now to add the fire…
That's beautiful!

…Something I tried: made a circle of C4 in the centre of the screen, filled it almost to the top with nitro, then surrounded that with another circle and filled that to the top with superballs… Then touched some fire to the nitro.

The result was magical ^__^
All the balls went crazy! The result of the initial shock was so cool; they blasted out and then all bounced back into the middle where the nitro had been in a massive blob, before blasting out again at random.

and theoreticly that's how the universe was made… with a large explosion…

COOL!

Edit: just tried that… it looks like it would kill anything and everything in existance… yet it's so beautiful…

Posted at

Pompei.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Did that guy on the right just kick his two mates into the volcano? o_O

Posted at

Has anyone else tried fiddling with the BG option?

Pretty!

Oh yeah, and you can make a volcano that erupts by itself if you line it with the clone tool.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, I did the fancy tool ^_^
I've done just about everything I can think of now, except I can't work out how to grow as big a forest as Puff :(

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.