Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

That's a pretty grey area. It depends on too many things (and is too subjective) to give you a very good answer. Most commonly this comes up with 'bad art, good writing' situations, but there have been a few with 'good art, bad writing' or 'pretty good, but not funny yet'

It's impossible to ask for consistency, that's the nature of creative works. Always progressing. :]

One thing I consider is 'percentage' - IE if the comic has 80 pages and the first 50 are pretty bad, I'd wait until it has a better ratio.

On the other hand, if one aspect is really good, that lessens the impact of the less-great aspects.

If the beginning is so rough it shuts me off from being interested in reading more, then it would take a lot more of something else for me to want to feature it. This is MORE of a problem with story comics than strips. Story comics more or less need to start at the beginning, and it's difficult to 'jump in' at the point where things have improved because you're missing a lot of established story. With strips you can often just skip to any point and it's more readily accessible.

The 'rough beginning' problem is probably the one in which I most often have to put myself in the role of 'average comic reader'… as opposed to other goals we try to meet, such as finding different qualities or styles, hitting on a range of story types or genres, etc. I may come to a comic with those ideas, but if it's got a rough beginning I'm more likely to start looking at it from the perspective of someone who is kinda interested, but needs to accept (or get past) the rough part somehow.

The main problem is subjectivity though. What I think is good enough may not be the same as someone else's good enough; different people have different ideas of 'rough'; I'm more or less forgiving of things others aren't; I may be interested in a story or art style a lot more or less than others; different people have different senses of humor. We try to keep that in mind when we feature but we figure there's a certain amount of unavoidable bias. :] Since those things affect our initial interest in reading, it would probably have a knock-on effect if the beginning is hard to get through for some reason.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

hey you know the copyrighted thing does it matter if your using sprites but you give credit
Unfortunately yes. :(

—————–
Some other things to add that bear iteration, Comics will not be featured if:

1. The comment form is removed.

2. The ads are removed.

booger
booger
Posted at

Add another for the fanart thing:
What if you have 1 - 3 fanart pictures, but that's it.. Like they're fillers?

Posted at

Hm, I'm sure that's been answered at some point but I don't feel like trying to find it.

Most of the time filler is fine (and 1-3 would not be a problem unless you only have like 5 pages), but if 'filler' is a regular thing with the comic I'd be really reluctant. The problem with filler is that it breaks up the normal flow of reading the comic, especially if it's a story comic. If that happens often it makes it hard to read the comic.

Say a comic with 50 pages has a bunch of fan art they want to post. I'd feel okay featuring it if they saved the fanart til the end of a chapter, so the 'extras' were more of an interlude. What I *wouldn't* like to feature is a comic that, for example, posts a lot of fan art among the normal pages. for example, I think it was Temple of a Thousand Tears… I liked the comic, but there would be 2 pages a week, and then a 3rd update which was fan art (fan art friday). So when you're reading the archives, you'd get story-story-interruption. It was REALLY annoying and I didn't feature it because of that structure. Eventually Oz came along and featured it though, which shows that we have different opinions about those sorts of things. :]

Edit: actually, Oz may not have featured it until they changed their fan art posting format…

meemjar
meemjar
Posted at

OK a few questions of my own about getting featured:

1: If a person has four seperate comics in his account and one is a Fanzine and one is ADULTS only but both are dormant and the comic he wants featured is both his creation and rated teen+, must he delete the other two before his desired book is eligible?

2: Concerning copyrights. What if the said desired comic has been copyrighted by the owner (he actually has the legal right to stamp 'TM' on his work, which he does) is that a handicap?

3: What if out of 400+ pages of this desired book, he has about 35 pages consisting of fan arts and fillers? Would he have to eliminate them?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

1: If a person has four seperate comics in his account and one is a Fanzine and one is ADULTS only but both are dormant and the comic he wants featured is both his creation and rated teen+, must he delete the other two before his desired book is eligible?
Hell no!
We don't care how many fancomics, sprite comics, adult comics or whatever people have going- dormant or current, it's irrelevant.
That won't stop you being featured.

2: Concerning copyrights. What if the said desired comic has been copyrighted by the owner (he actually has the legal right to stamp 'TM' on his work, which he does) is that a handicap?
It doesn't matter one little bit. Wouldn't prevent a feature.

3: What if out of 400+ pages of this desired book, he has about 35 pages consisting of fan arts and fillers? Would he have to eliminate them?
Again, this does not matter.
There was one comic that I really liked the look of but couldn't featured because it was about 50% filler and fan art. That sort of proportion is way too high. But you're talking about less than 10%.

With long comics though, it's a bit harder to do features with them because it means we have to spend ages and ages reading through them just to get a sense of the story as well as make sure there are no hidden nasties in there that will embarrasses the site.

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

Interesting topic. I always wondered how comics got featured.

So in a nutshell, if it's something the DD staff is proud to have on the site, it'll eventually get featured? Assuming it updates regularly and has a moderate fan following etc?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Interesting topic. I always wondered how comics got featured.
Listen to Quackcast 18 http://podcast.drunkduck.com/ to get some more insight :)

So in a nutshell, if it's something the DD staff is proud to have on the site, it'll eventually get featured? Assuming it updates regularly and has a moderate fan following etc?
Yes, apart from the "fan following" thing. Comics don't need fans or even any readers at all to qualify.

CornTown
CornTown
Posted at

I have a few (two) question. If you use your DrunkDuck site as a mirror to your regular comic's site, can you still be featured?

If yes, but you only have about half of your archive on the Drunk Duck site, does only the DD content count?

Posted at

1. Yep!

2. Just the stuff on Drunk Duck, though we will usually let people know there's a main site with more stuff, if we know about it.

Posted at

Hello! So, I can't help but ask–
I seem to remember when a fancomic about Shin Megami Tensei (Persona) was featured on the site. Didn't that go against the "no copyrights" rule? Or maybe there was something I missed that let it go through. I'm just curious to know.

ringmvn
ringmvn
Posted at

I SERIOUY NEED SOME FEEDBACK ON MY COMIC. ITS MORE THAN 15 PAGES AND. JUST WONDERING IF IT GRABS ANYONES ATTENTION. ANOYONE IS FREE TO GIVE IT A SHOT!!

mindcat
mindcat
Posted at

Okay wait, I'm confused. Some of the featured posts say to PQ if you want a feature of your own. I thought it was something someone had to request?

Posted at

mindcat wrote:
Okay wait, I'm confused. Some of the featured posts say to PQ if you want a feature of your own. I thought it was something someone had to request?

You're supposed to PQ me to tell me you want a Twitter Feature- that's a different thing than the front page features :D

mindcat
mindcat
Posted at

Tantz_Aerine wrote:
mindcat wrote:

You're supposed to PQ me to tell me you want a Twitter Feature- that's a different thing than the front page features :D

OH!

rickrudge
rickrudge
Posted at

Thank you, skoolmunkee for explaining the whole process of choosing a “Featured Comics!”. Even “Top Ten” and “Quail’s Random” is fine with me.

It would be really nice if there was a way of continuing on with the “Latest Updates” like you guys do with the “Featured Comics!” arrow buttons, so that you can view comics posted earlier that day easily. You don’t have to have all of the days postings on the front page, like Tapas, or Deviant Art. But, it would be nice if you could make them accessible like the extra “Featured Comics!” with your arrow buttons. Many of the other web posting sites have these, like ComicFury or Smack Jeeves, etc.

Other than that I love the Drunk Duck Webcomics site and how you’re able to work with how I post my comics. Thank you guys for all of your work.

— Rick

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

rickrudge wrote:
It would be really nice if there was a way of continuing on with the “Latest Updates” like you guys do with the “Featured Comics!” arrow buttons, so that you can view comics posted earlier that day easily. You don’t have to have all of the days postings on the front page, like Tapas, or Deviant Art. But, it would be nice if you could make them accessible like the extra “Featured Comics!” with your arrow buttons. Many of the other web posting sites have these, like ComicFury or Smack Jeeves, etc.
Yeah, I'd like us to go back to that. Obviously we had it before those sites, but changed it… it was an oversight actually.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.