Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

My theduckofanime avatar is the same as on my comic one, but my forum name duck, literally has a duck. Not the old avatar as I had before.

Vaoni
Vaoni
Posted at

Yes! Woke up this morning, checked out the forums and didnt have my eyes burnt.
Much better guys, thank you very much :D

Comicmasta
Comicmasta
Posted at

MUCH BETTER!

now all we need is the link that skips to the last post and that would be it.

Posted at

Oh the colors are SOOOOOOOOOO much better now! Good work!

Still want my siggy though…that was cool….

Posted at

why would yo go against PHPBB? That's like trying to re-invent the wheel.

Integrated sign-ons. Spambot free. It's better, and it will be proven. Give it time.;)

phpbb is easy to integrate a sign on with, and if you set it up properly spam bots aren't an issue. It's really questionable to reinvent a forum system when you have available to you such a good one that is so easily integrated with sites all over the world, and so easliy modified to add whatever functionality you want, especially when on the debut of your home grown system people lose features they had and loved.

That said, kudos on the work. Making a forum system is anything but easy, and it's certainly a decent one so far. I'm VERY glad that the colouring has changed. The grey is sooooooo much easier to read :) And a bigger kudos for doing it so fast. That should allay most fears of corporate carelessness.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

So apparently, profiles are integrated with the rest of the site functions right?

So is the who's online list for the entire site, or the forums in particular?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

So apparently, profiles are integrated with the rest of the site functions right?

So is the who's online list for the entire site, or the forums in particular?
"User's online" shows who is signed into Drunk Duck, not necessarily browsing the forums at the time. But it's really all the same now. ;)

That said, aside from the "comfort things" that PHBB had to offer, I always thought it was a really bad and vulnerable tool, But it's all we could do at that time. Not only that, but this takes "branding" to the next level. I think DD is on the right track.

Once the friendly features are integrated into this forum, (mostly) everyone will like it more, too.

Posted at

I was reading this thread from the beginning and saw everyone complaining about the colors and I was all, guys, what's wrong with you, the colors are fine?! And then I saw that since then Volte had changed the colors already and so how cool is that? It's like your own personal coder guy to do every drunk duck thing people want and would be good. See, that's not so bad.

But a lot of the features are still being coded. Like the "view all new posts since last visit" – which is just killing me, let me tell you.

skoolmunkee want! (Also skoolmunkee want the page numbers and forum categories and… well, not a big fan of the column on the right.)

Yes, it seems as though most of the admins (save for one who has done little more than insult people), still care about us. That is definitely a good sign.

Yes well someone is a monkey butt face and it isn't me! (I am at least a monkey face face.)

One more thing; my number 45 member number gives me much pride. =)

I want a smaller member number, all the other admins (except this Mojo… hobo…) have little tiny member numbers and mine looks big and fat and ugly compared to you all. :cry:

Posted at

That said, aside from the "comfort things" that PHBB had to offer, I always thought it was a really bad and vulnerable tool, But it's all we could do at that time. Not only that, but this takes "branding" to the next level. I think DD is on the right track.

Well, phpBB is actually a very secure and stable tool, with a very active community. You can feel otherwise, but that's not really based on anything ;)

Though I agree on the branding thing. There is something to be said for having your own system. I just think that the community would have been better served had the development effort, at this time, been spent creating additional creator features instead of recoding a forum system. Just imagine what could have been done with that time which would have given us more we could do, rather than taking away features because there wasn't enough time to mimic them.

Again, not to say what Volte has done sucks or anything. He's done some awesome work, and making a forum with as much functionality as it has is no small feat. I just would have preferred it if he had directed his effort more on new functionality than on existing at this time.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

Now this is me just making guesses, but…

By programming their own forum, they have a lot more control over what they can get it to do. I think that something akin to the "karma" thing that Volte6 was working on a few months back could now include forum posting … maybe we'd even rate posts and things like that…or maybe you can get recognized in some way with frequent and insightful posting.

It may even be possible to create a customizable forum for the comic artists - one that everyone can have complete control over, that won't be imbedded within the old phbb format.

If anything, the fact that they're creating a whole new forum is just another indication that they're going to strengthen the community aspect of DD.

…my opinion, of course.

Posted at

I think it would be funny if someone ran out of excuses to hate the new forum and decided to start compllaining about stuff that doesn't make any sense… like:

"I hate the SMELL!"

(this message brought to you by a weird dream I had)

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Well it DOES smell pretty bad…

Posted at

I wouldn't know. My nose is stopped up :P

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Well, it DOES. And the floor is sticky too. Sorta like someone spilled soda all over it…

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

Now the color looks better and just a tweak of the color, the forum makes it simpler to look at. Only left is the main forum page table that still looks a bit packed without the grouping of similar categories. I'll just wait and see if there are any possible changes that is going to take place soon. Good job, guys!

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

phpbb is easy to integrate a sign on with, and if you set it up properly spam bots aren't an issue. It's really questionable to reinvent a forum system when you have available to you such a good one that is so easily integrated with sites all over the world, and so easliy modified to add whatever functionality you want, especially when on the debut of your home grown system people lose features they had and loved.
phpBB is great, for sure. It has a lot of problems though. It is frequently targetted and exploited by 'hackers', and requires constant maintenance. It also does a massive quantity of unnecessary queries. Also, IMO the code is heavily over engineered, making modification and integration a difficult process. Sure, it's easy to inject signups, but integration is far more complex than that. At BEST I could hope to multiply the queries it was performing in an integration process. This forum is integrated, and is easily modifiable for any purposes. We can build a million features onto it and still keep it lighter and more relevant than phpBB.
It had always been a goal of mine to some way get away from the 'free forum' option. I just never really had the time. These forums, while lighter in generic features, will allow us to build myriad specialized features.

That said, kudos on the work. Making a forum system is anything but easy, and it's certainly a decent one so far. I'm VERY glad that the colouring has changed. The grey is sooooooo much easier to read :) And a bigger kudos for doing it so fast. That should allay most fears of corporate carelessness.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

If I had one minor quibble about the colors, it would be the top " | Quote | Edit | Delete " section. The grey over grey is hard to read. I'd suggest something like the yellow admins have in thier avatar section.

Oh, also, the quote in quote should alternate colors, too, IMO.

But I'm sure that's all being worked on. :)

Edit: LIKE THIS

Posted at

(stuff that Volte6 said about phpbb that Ronson also touched on)

It is definitely true that building your own system makes it easier to add things to. I guess that it all comes down to what kind of additions you plan to make. If they are minor, then it's not at all difficult to add to phpbb. If it involves some fairly major things, then yeah… you probably are better off making your own system.

Aeon
Aeon
Posted at

I don't know if I'd want that whole quote reply bar to be yellow. It makes the forum look a little old-school Batman, y'know? But maybe if the "Quote/ Edit" text stayed the bright blue it is when I hover my mouse over it, it wouldn't be too garish, and it would still pop.

Posted at

Oh, also, the quote in quote should alternate colors, too, IMO.

Meh, I wouldn't say different colors, but seperate quote at LEAST need some sorta box around them.

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I would prefer if we could have text signatures to image ones, image ones make forums distorted and ugly in my opinion.

My only REAL gripe is i still don't know if there is any new posts in a catergory which is annoying.

Posted at

My complaint is the lack of Powdered Toast.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I don't know if I'd want that whole quote reply bar to be yellow. It makes the forum look a little old-school Batman, y'know?
That's exactly what I was going for! ;)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.