Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

I'm causing a ruckus - more problems with the Duck that need publicity

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I'm getting kinda' sick of all the "every site has bugs" excuse at this point. DD wouldn't be shaky right now if it had a couple of bugs, it's the fact that it's affecting images, and the whole point of this site is to be an IMAGE HOST.

Thought I would clear that up as it seems a few people just don't get it.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

My 2 cents.

I was at Comic Genesis back in the days when it was Keenspot. It was webcomic death. No real community to speak of, no interaction between the comics. It does seem reasonably maintained but that's about it. It's a very impersonal experience, as far as I'm concerned.

The DD bugs irritate me and I have obtained a domain and will get some webhosting for a separate site for Due East. But that's as a mirror, at this point. I enjoy DD's community as much as anyone else. I'm willing to stay unless it just gets too unpleasant to continue.

I understand the business side, too, I went to business school in college. I started a non-profit and have run it through high times and low times for 11 years. But I think everyone here knows that sometimes you have to apply common sense along with practicality (which is lacking far too often in some corners of the business world, it seems). If you take care of what you have invested it, it will benefit you better, in the short run and in the long run.

I accept Volte's word that things are being slowly addressed and I am willing to continue to be patient. But I think this has been way too low a priority for way too long. DD could fairly easily be successful for Platinum without resorting to things like charging fees to the members of the community. And I agree with others that the DD community is part of the solution to that problem…should Platinum be open to anything like that.

Posted at

You have to ask yourself…Could the bugginess be an excuse for readers to just go to Wowio and read comics there all day for free?
And…is it in the interests of some people for the public to do that anyway.

Also…there are advertisements all over drunk duck.

If there is no money being made, then, that is sad.

I said it before, why not have a small space on the main page for DD artists to advertise on for cheap.
…money is money last time I checked.
and constant cash flow is what it is all about.

Posted at

You have to ask yourself…
The bugginess and lack of bug fixingness was around long before the wowio ads were :) I would think if anything were happening to seriously drive people away from DD they'd find a way to do something about it.

I said it before, why not have a small space on the main page for DD artists to advertise on for cheap.
This has been answered in the past, and basically, an amateur comic person wouldn't be able to match the rates that plat gets from their ads. When Plat is in a better business position, then user ads might be something they look into, but I wouldn't be surprised if Plat sticks with the people willing to give more money for the same space.

It isn't my intention to drive people off from DD or scare people off from putting a comic here. I've just been letting some of my frustration show and APC thoughtfully collected them in one place and made a big deal of it. T_T

This thread is starting to get pretty redundant though :/ Nothing in this thread is very new information. I realize it's an opportunity to vent but that doesn't really help DD's situation.

Posted at

2 Years later…Nothing has been touched. The forums still suck, there are bugs everywhere. So, yeah. I'm there with you now, APC. I doubt that makes you feel better though.

Actually, it does to see that there is more than just me and a seemingly vocal minority worried about this.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I do not see big image-related problems. The only bugs I've experienced are:

1. A page doesn't load correctly. Refresh… problem solved.
2. Trying to update an avatar or a banner is hard… so the site uses the old image… at least it puts up an image.
3. Trying to edit a page takes a little trick (change the extension name). But as long as you do that, it works fine.
4. The ads on the main page and the forums page slow browsing down… but once you get into a comic, that goes away.

None of the above are big problems. Hey, I'm getting free hosting. As long as it keeps chugging along in its current state I'm content.

So the only thing I really care about is this rumor that DD will die. At least Volte6 believes it to be untrue atm. I choose to believe in his words.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It is untrue. The rumour was false :)

Posted at

To be honest, I didn't even know there were problems with the image server until I visited the forums. I can't really browse the site itself anymore because of all of the @#$! ads, they absolutely kill my computer. (In fact, my text is lagging just typing this because I currently have some woman dancing on the side of my screen about earning a degree and some football smileys bouncing on the top of the screen, ugh. I've also noticed that my popup blocker has been blocking popup ads on my comic recently - double ugh.) But I haven't really had any problems loading comics themselves, so I've just started avoiding the front page and forums like the plague, and I know I'm not the only one who is doing so.

It makes me a bit nervous to see the admin team being so down on everything (although I note that nearly everyone's attitudes have made a miraculous 180 degree turn once this topic was made..?). I don't have any intention of moving PT completely off the site at the moment, although I have been looking into mirroring options. :/ It will be a shame if DD gets abandoned, the community here is the best out of any of the major web hosts, in my opinion.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

It makes me a bit nervous to see the admin team being so down on everything (although I note that nearly everyone's attitudes have made a miraculous 180 degree turn once this topic was made..?)
Like I said before, DD still runs adequate for a comic hoster most of the time, and the queuing system is still the easiest and friendliest to work with. Also it's great that DD lets you run your own ads for income. Until/if those things go (or if someone buids a better one), we'll be sticking around too.

But…I am staying resolute in MY opinion. I have heard LOTS of pretty promises, but I have not seen any progress, and a slow deterioration of the COMMUNITY over the past few years. Several threads, meetings, VP's, etc. Despite the claims by PS, nothing has changed. So I am holding their feet to the fire. For all the good it will do.

I remain hopeful, of course. But I also remain concerned.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm a lot more confident now than I was before. :)
It's just good to have a rant every now and again…

Eh, but as Admins, we don't often realise what weight our words carry. There's no WAY I wanted users to start feeling worried! I'm an idiot for doing that.
I'll try and watch my words in future ;)

Posted at

I just want to throw out there that…

Little businesses grow up and become Big businesses.

Posted at

I just want to throw out there that…

Little businesses grow up and become Big businesses.

They also go out of business, stay the same size, increase in size slightly, get bought out by larger businesses and loads of other things. They have to be FINANCIALLY SUCCESSFUL to grow.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

I'm a lot more confident now than I was before. :)
It's just good to have a rant every now and again…

Eh, but as Admins, we don't often realise what weight our words carry. There's no WAY I wanted users to start feeling worried! I'm an idiot for doing that.
I'll try and watch my words in future ;)

Remeber kids, Speak Responsibly.
M.A.D.S
(mothers against drunk speakers)

=)

Posted at

Great link there. They have some exciting news on their front page:

Warning: file_get_contents(./includes/database_error_message.html) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/righscom/public_html/addons/projectfanboy/vb/includes/class_core.php on line 910

Warning: halt(./includes/functions_log_error.php) [function.halt]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/righscom/public_html/addons/projectfanboy/vb/includes/class_core.php on line 912

Fatal error: halt() [function.require]: Failed opening required './includes/functions_log_error.php' (include_path='.:/usr/php4/lib/php:/usr/local/php4/lib/php') in /home/righscom/public_html/addons/projectfanboy/vb/includes/class_core.php on line 912

mmm hhmmmm

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I missed something, did they link to a news story on DrunkDuck, Carly?

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I had something to say, but honestly it's lost now. I think it was about the original enthusiasm shown for DD back after the last huge crash and then the platinum buyout…but I forgot.

Hnnph. Maybe it'll come back to me.

How ya doin', Drunk Duck?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

How ya doin', Drunk Duck?
Caught a little cough, but appart from that, JUuuuuuuuuuussssssssssssst fiiine ^___^

Posted at

I missed something, did they link to a news story on DrunkDuck, Carly?

Some guy had posted a link to his (obviously fantastic) site saying "host your comics here" or something.

Posted at

OH yeah it was some "other" comic host. i went to check it out and the first thing I saw was a HUGE block of php error code. damn! If you're gonna go onto a site, in a thread where people are complaining about site bugs, don't post a link to your more broken site and encourage people to go there! ha ha ha…

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Sorry about that. I removed the post, I didn't know Carly responded to it.

Posted at

Was it rampage network or whatever? That guy has more problems than DD right now, and is generally pretty skeezy. Avoid at all costs.

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

Was it rampage network or whatever? That guy has more problems than DD right now, and is generally pretty skeezy. Avoid at all costs.

Agreed, been saying this forever.

Why would you go with a service where the only way to tell what each box in the contact form means is by analyzing the html itself?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I think so. Yeah, I've heard that. So that does speak volumes to me. That little retard trying to muscle in on MY community? Who the F does he think he is? This is the Duck baby! Ain't nothing like it!

Okay, I'm not a big "ra, ra" kid of person, but really, I don't want anyone abandoning DD. I'm not leaving. It's still the best webcomic hoster out there. I love this site. I believe APC and mostly everyone that speaks out like this love it too. But we need to come to an understanding. There has GOT to be a level of communication that we are sorely lacking right now. This thread has gotten a lot of attention from some of the right people so maybe we'll see a turn around. I hope so. ;)

But, we need to all stand back and see what DD has going for it to. A lot of us lose sight of that. Remember, this is why DD stands out from the rest:

- A community of people that actually CARE about each other, and help each other. I've really never seen anything like it. And I am on A LOT of forums. Hell, the image bug isn't really that HUGE a deal since some community members found a work-around. You guys rock. I really, really mean that.

- The most user-friendly comic queueing system on the net. Be it jpg, png, or swf. No FTP knowledge needed, upload ten pages at a time, easy re-sort, and a drop down reference that your readers can actually use.

- Lots of traffic. I mean, a LOT. You'd be surprised, I bet.

- Tutorials, Profiles, email updates, RSS feeds, games, and lots of other extras that work pretty well.

- Ad space/revenue allowed. That's big. Trust me.

- and I DO credit PS for keeping the site active and alive. Even though we've put up some intrusion, and I don't really agree with the sales staff decisions, hey, it's still here. And it costs a lot to maintain a site like this.

Yep. DD isn't perfect and never has been. And yeah, we are all a little worried about the future. Hopefully someday DD will get the attention it deserves. But until then, we'll just keep doing what we do and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

And always, always, ALWAYS… back up your work. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Okay, I'm not a big "ra, ra" kid of person, but really, I don't want anyone abandoning DD. I'm not leaving. It's still the best webcomic hoster out there. I love this site. I believe APC and mostly everyone that speaks out like this love it too. But we need to come to an understanding. There has GOT to be a level of communication that we are sorely lacking right now. This thread has gotten a lot of attention from some of the right people so maybe we'll see a turn around. I hope so. ;)

But, we need to all stand back and see what DD has going for it to. A lot of us lose sight of that. Remember, this is why DD stands out from the rest:

- A community of people that actually CARE about each other, and help each other. I've really never seen anything like it. And I am on A LOT of forums. Hell, the image bug isn't really that HUGE a deal since some community members found a work-around. You guys rock. I really, really mean that.

- The most user-friendly comic queueing system on the net. Be it jpg, png, or swf. No FTP knowledge needed, upload ten pages at a time, easy re-sort, and a drop down reference that your readers can actually use.

- Lots of traffic. I mean, a LOT. You'd be surprised, I bet.

- Tutorials, Profiles, email updates, RSS feeds, games, and lots of other extras that work pretty well.

- Ad space/revenue allowed. That's big. Trust me.

- and I DO credit PS for keeping the site active and alive. Even though we've put up some intrusion, and I don't really agree with the sales staff decisions, hey, it's still here. And it costs a lot to maintain a site like this.

Yep. DD isn't perfect and never has been. And yeah, we are all a little worried about the future. Hopefully someday DD will get the attention it deserves. But until then, we'll just keep doing what we do and hope for a brighter tomorrow.

And always, always, ALWAYS… back up your work. ;)
WELL SAID! :)

Damn well said man ^__^

Posted at

Agreed, been saying this forever.

Why would you go with a service where the only way to tell what each box in the contact form means is by analyzing the html itself?

No, that's not who it was. I can't even remember the site that was linked, but it wasn't rampage network. The rampage guy contacted me a while back too, and would absolutely not take no for an answer; I eventually just started ignoring him. At least, I think it was him, he never actually linked to the site, I googled it when I saw you guys talking about it and it seems to be the same person.. I got a bad vibe from him while I was talking to him so decided to steer clear. I'm glad I did now.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.