Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

If you met yourself, would you become friends?

Posted at

I'd probably befriend myself with the purpose of studying my clone in order to visualize how I portray myself to others, with the purpose of improving myself. I could find out lots of interesting facts, like; Do I ever have a bad posture? Is there something I occasionally do that makes me look stupid? How are my table manners? etc.

Then I'll realize that he's doing the same to me and feel very insulted.

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

I was thinking on the incest issue a little bit there and I just realised!

Legally, it would be. Since the only way mirror you would be able to exist as part of modern society is if the truth was told, in which nobody would believe you unless it happened to other people and was well documented, or the mirror you has to be registerd as a long lost relative or that you would have to say you are a monozygotic twin and the two of you were separated at birth.

I should make a comic out of that! It's an interesting topic.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

I'd hate him. But he'd probably never talk to me.

Posted at

…or the mirror you has to be registerd as a long lost relative or that you would have to say you are a monozygotic twin and the two of you were separated at birth.
Hey, stuff like that happens all the time.

Posted at

I've actually been friends with people who think almost the same as me (yes, it is kinda creepy at first when someone you just met can already practically read your mind), so yeah, I'd be friends with me.

Would I be worried about a clone being too perfect? Nope. Biology alone doesn't define a personality and it has absolutely no control over what you know (experience has dibs on that). Given a few years, we wouldn't be identical anymore because we'd have had difference experiences during those years. Well, genetically identical, but that's about it.

Posted at

We'd get along pretty well, I think, though I do tend to befriend people dramatically different from me in personality.

She'd always laugh at my jokes and have something to say in return. She would actually be interested in my comic (being interested in my comic is pretty much grounds for immediate friendship). It'd probably help my confidence, being able to see myself from a different view. I can't really see us ever conflicting with one another…

I'm terrible with communication, though. Neither of us would ever tell the other if they were upset about something. Either we'd live in a bubble of silent understanding or we would never know what the other was thinking. If we ever did get into fight, it would be explosive because of all the built up anger… Probably best if I stick to people who force me to communicate.

rmccool
rmccool
Posted at

most likely I would find myself to be a bit tacky…
I love Hawaiian shirts…I got pink flamingos in the yard and one blue flamingo.. I walk my rabbit on the beach… sometimes my hair is blue… some days its brown.. I like people who are not afraid to be thought odd.. they tend to be fun people..on the flip side When I see a guy with a Hawaiian shirt they tend to annoy me.. I think tacky golfer.. yet here I sit enjoying my tackiness.. so if there where two of me I guess we would be tacky and laugh about it

Zad
Zad
Posted at

Entire thread tl;dr. :D

If I was in regular contact with myself, i.e. see them everyday, meet at the bus stop, whatever, then I imagine it'd happen slowly.

I know I'm a horribly selfish, snarky, sarcastic, shy (God, all these s words!) person, but, I would know it, too.
I'd know I'm jsut as uncomfortable with myself as myself. I wouldn't be bothered with it, because I would understand.
It would be like a dream come true.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

This could turn into a discussion about whether you truly like who you are, are content with yourself and your self-image and a lot of other psychological stuff
That's not the jist of it.

The thing is that for myself, I'm totally and completely happy with the way I am. Self satisfied to the very gills! That being the case, it's purely logical that I would find another one of me who was like that, for all the same reasons, utterly insufferable.

It's like if you've got a nice happy tomcat, all contented in his environment and happy with himself. Add another tomcat just like him to the to that environment and see how they get on.

Denial. Sheesh saw that coming a mile away. The two tomcats would manuever establish their territories. Once that was settled you could see them get along very well or not. I've observed this dynamic numerous times. A very happy tom just won't care because he's in charge and nothing will stop that. He'll tolerate the interloper and they could become best buddies. But then of course tomcats aren't humans and possess higher reasoning.
I can tolerate anyone (you should see you've I'd put up with. I establish boundries and make do) and I've been told by everyone (and I mean everyone) who has had to put up with me that I am very easy to get along with. No one remains an asshole 24-7 if you treat them with consideration. Being an asshole is a defense in anticipation of a negative reaction. You don't respopnd negatively you've diarmed the asshole. Works everytime, even with those who are professional assholes and try to get to get your goat on purpose. Which is what I would do with myself.
I'd see it coming and respond with consideration and they'd be putty in my hands. You forget I was in the Army. I can put with anybody.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Denial.
Excuse me? Sorry bravo, but that's a little on the offensive side. I know you probably don't mean it to be, but it is.

Ironic, since I'm the one who usually causes offence to everyone willy nilly. Completely inadvertently :)

OMG, does that mean you're too much like me?!! o_O

Posted at

I'd probably get along with myself… and plus, we could get things done faster together. :P

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

Would I be worried about a clone being too perfect? Nope. Biology alone doesn't define a personality and it has absolutely no control over what you know (experience has dibs on that). Given a few years, we wouldn't be identical anymore because we'd have had difference experiences during those years. Well, genetically identical, but that's about it.
It's not a clone, though. It's someone completely identical to you but just mirrored.It's you almost completely down to a T. Even though you will have both had different life experiences and such later on, the issue of them replacing you in your life is immediate. They could kill you and your family wouldn't know until they find the body under the patio when they go out of style and need replaced by hoverdecks.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

He'd look right at me and being me, I'd know what that look meant - pure disappointment. No, I wouldn't want to meet that guy.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

We would meet in passing, stopping in the middle of a crowded walkway, gawking in shock at one another. And then, in a flash of motion, we would simultaneously sucker punch each other with a left upppercut, knocking each other unconscious. When we wake up in the city jail a few hours later, we stare at each other again, and then break into a duet a capella version of Just Communication.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

A clone of the same sex? Naw naw, too boring. I want one of the opposite sex. Yes, because I want to leave open the possibility of, you know. And since she would be me up to that minute, I know we'd both hold very low regard for social taboos of that sort.

I think we would get along fine, finally finding a "soulmate" in the hobbies we like. However I think we'd get bored of each other soon, being so similar. Then we'll go out together and use our "twin-ness" as a gimmick in social circles. We'll do the psychic twins party trick.

I'll bet she'll quickly find some hot guy and "dump" me. Cuz I know that's what I'll do to her.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Denial.
Excuse me? Sorry bravo, but that's a little on the offensive side. I know you probably don't mean it to be, but it is.

Ironic, since I'm the one who usually causes offence to everyone willy nilly. Completely inadvertently :)

OMG, does that mean you're too much like me?!! o_O

Sarcasm. Sorry it doesn't come out right typed. It's a kneejerk response in the mental health community. After all it means they can't write papers about your unique psychological profile and make lots of money off your on-going therapy sessions. ;)

I have one question. How can you accept something in your own behavior that you can't accept in others? After so many years I can't but I am still honest and sadly the humor that leavens my honesty doesn't come out well on typed on a message board. I admire that honesty in others and would rather be roughly criticized than be fed by companies of sycophants.

Maybe I should do Drunkduck a favor and follow this sage advice: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt you are a fool"

But then the most insightful character in Sahkespeare's plays is the fool. To express ironic insight you will often end up being cast in the role of a fool and I hate garishly colored hats with bells.

What I see as best in myself I desire in others.

Jobo
Jobo
Posted at

nah, she would be too much like me and steal my ideas, then i would have to kill her.

altprom
altprom
Posted at

I feel like I would be awkward with myself at first, but then I'd end up just quoting things like Arrested Developement with myself. Or each other? I'm not quite sure how to word that.

Boxtop
Boxtop
Posted at

My answer to that question would be two words: "Hell no." Why would I be friends with someone who's irresponsible, emotionally unstable, has the intelligence of a rock, and looks like he's the main villain from a slasher movie?

Every time I look in the mirror I see a pair of cold, empty eyes staring back at me. Eugh. Do not want.

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

I'd meet myself in gamestop or something, we might be rivals but eventually end up in a bromance so powerful that we'll occasionally break out singing "Guy Love" together!

A clone of the same sex? Naw naw, too boring. I want one of the opposite sex. Yes, because I want to leave open the possibility of, you know.

Yeah! That's what I was gonna say!

Posted at

If I met myself, as I am now, I think we'd get along quite well. There might be some initial trouble getting past the fact that I tend to be a random-fact-babbler, which might be annoying, but considering how quirky I am…. Yeah, we'd be fabulous nerds together.

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

As for the whole sex with self question, I wouldn't do that, but I would be up for a threesome.

That would be awesome.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.