Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

It always takes me a very long time to fall asleep. Not insomnia, just the way I've always been.
Same here. I can lay down in bed in the dark and still be awake three hours later. The other problem is once I do go to sleep, I can sleep for a LONG time. I could sleep a whole day away if I had the mind too. The only time I could easily go to sleep was when I went to school at 8am and got off work at 9:00pm. Then I would just past out when I got home.

DOUK
DOUK
Posted at

I used to have insomnia, but thanks to Avatar, I'm cured!

lba
lba
Posted at

It's only insomnia if you're not getting enough hours each night consistently. When do you get up? If you've stopped going to bed early but are now sleeping in later then normally, then you're probably just moved your sleep cycle few hours.

If you have trouble going to sleep after 24 hours, you could always try adopting the 28 hour cycle.

I tried adopting the 28 hour schedule myself, but I found that it can be incredibly hard when you have a really fluid and changing schedule like if you're in college. I kept wanting to sleep during times when I was supposed to be at work or in class. It probably might work out for other folks with different circumstances though.

There are some people out there who are just biologically inclined towards being awake much longer. I've found that being awake 20-24 hours at a time without getting tired is pretty average for me whereas most people tend to stay awake for periods between 14 and 18 hours before they're ready to call it a night. I'm not sure why it is, but I've noticed this occurs in a lot of people whose internal clock is set to second or third shifts. I don't think there's necessarily anything about it that would hurt you if that's the case, other than being tired a lot because you have to stay up and operate on everyone else's schedule when you want to be sleeping.

Posted at

I'm a terrible insomniac, I can lay in bed with my eyes closed, but it doesn't matter. The only way I can get to sleep is with Tylenol PMs. Or valium. Or excessive drinking. Needless to say, if I have none of those things, I won't sleep. If I DO sleep and wake up in the middle of the night, there's no way I'm gonna' go back to sleep, so I play a bunch of Guitar Hero until I have to work 6 hours later. Would play real guitar, but I wouldn't want to wake up my room mates.

Posted at

Oh, and also, insomnia isn't like a real illness or anything like that.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

The only way I can get to sleep is with Tylenol PMs. Or valium. Or excessive drinking. Needless to say, if I have none of those things, I won't sleep.

That sounds pretty serious. You should see a doctor if you haven't already.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I had zero sleep last night. It's morning now… and it's STILL HOT! >:[

According to this article you only need 20 minutes sleep every few hours or so…
link to yahoo news thing

I find it way easier to sleep during the day than at night. I LOVE to sleep for as long as I can, if I can, but oversleep triggers migraines. :(
Undersleep triggers them too, so I'd better watch out today –__–

I know wikipedia isn't a reliable source for information
damn straight. Calling that "fatal insomnia" is like calling pneumonia "fatal sniffles" :)

LOOKIS
LOOKIS
Posted at

Depriving animals of sleep can actually kill them in just a few days. Apparently humans are the only species that can survive extended periods of sleep deprivation.

(That probably should have gone on the "cool facts" thread.)

Posted at

I know wikipedia isn't a reliable source for information, I found this pretty disturbing…

Wikipedia Article: Fatal Familial Insomnia

Luckily this thing's very rare…
That's a bit disturbing… I do love sleep, though. When I get some.

The only way I can get to sleep is with Tylenol PMs. Or valium. Or excessive drinking. Needless to say, if I have none of those things, I won't sleep.

That sounds pretty serious. You should see a doctor if you haven't already.

lol… The doctor will only prescribe more valium.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

lol… The doctor will only prescribe more valium.
Downside? :)

Posted at

Ha, that's the question, I won't complain.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Take 3 aspirins. That knocked me right out, yes sir.

Posted at

I took three aspirin once. It just made me retarded.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

Try four. Maybe five. Go for the gold, man.

Posted at

Insomnia…is a book by Stephen King… :)

^ Read that book
suprisingly even though the book is really REALLY good i'll read it in the morning and get perfect sleep that night when it usually takes me hours to fall asleep

Other than that i've found out
-counting sheep never works for me
-Music works sometimes (it has to be soft and low-volume but doesn't have to be classical
-turning off all the lights makes you tired
-thinking a lot will keep you awake
-think about a hippo? (the book insomnia actually suggests that one)

Jobo
Jobo
Posted at

meh,
Ive been cursed with chronic insomnia. But on the flip side, some of the best artwork comes out of you when you're sleep deprived and insane! =D

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

I sleep best when music is on.
Once I fell asleep with the remote on my bed, I rolled onto it and the sound just got turned harder and harder.

My parents had to kick me awake for me to turn it off.
That was fun.

Posted at

I have a few methods for inducing sleep.

A couple of people have mentioned masturbating already. Some studies have proven that it's more effective than any sleep medication out there, including valium.

Herbal tea or a glass of warm milk can also help. They're both stereotypes, but there's a reason for that.

Turning off all your electronic devices is a heavily recommended move. The light that perpetually exudes from a television or computer screen can inhibit the mind's ability to fall asleep. A bit of light reading is a much better alternative.

Taking a shower twenty or thirty minutes before going to bed is also an effective tactic. The hot water warms the skin up, and once it cools it can often make a person feel sleepy.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

A couple of people have mentioned masturbating already.

…warm milk.
lol! Disturbing connections :)

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

A couple of people have mentioned masturbating already.

…warm milk.
lol! Disturbing connections :)

And another display of a sick mind from Ozone there…

DrLuck
DrLuck
Posted at

Turning off all your electronic devices is a heavily recommended move. The light that perpetually exudes from a television or computer screen can inhibit the mind's ability to fall asleep. A bit of light reading is a much better alternative.

I was gonna post this. Seriously, I'm like a parrot with a blanket over its cage if you turn off all the lights in the room. Downside: I really hate sleeping in pitch black because I can't see anything.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

If I can't sleep and really need to, all I have to do is pop in a movie I've seen a hundred times, (used to be Empire Strikes Back. One of my favorite movies, but these days I have a hard time making it past the Yeti.) Lately I just put on MTV A.M. or VH1 Nocturnal State/Jump Start, as it's always the same videos over and over and over… (infomercials are boring too, but they piss me off)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.