Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Princess Skoolmunkee makes an appearance. ;)
Lol
Listening to it now.
There aren't any accents this time, are there? :(

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Princess Skoolmunkee makes an appearance. ;)
Lol
Listening to it now.
There aren't any accents this time, are there? :(
Yes there do be!
To wit- Princess Skoolmunkee!
Listen ;)
(when we get to printed books)

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

No no no NO!! You guys need accents which push you to your limits!! That was too easy. (Though princess skool will probably contradict me) Someone needs to send in a contribution which is a challenge for you guys, especially Ozone.

When self printing was mentioned, what exactly was meant by the said "printers" ? But then, I'm not at that level yet. First I must become "super popular"… and to do that, I must listen to #15 again!! (among other things…)

Another informative quackcast. So informative even Ozone learned something. lol!
This is the last DrunkDuck quackcast if the site move works smoothly, right?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Someone needs to send in a contribution which is a challenge for you guys, especially Ozone.
Hahaha! Well Terry Thomas and the Latin accent for quite tricky! :)
Niccotine suggested a "generic American hood" accent. THAT will be a bit of a challenge. Just have to find the right contribution for that one.
This is the last DrunkDuck quackcast if the site move works smoothly, right?
Hopefully things will continue to work smoothly… But no one knows yet … One more day O_O

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Hopefully things will continue to work smoothly… But no one knows yet … One more day O_O
What I meant to say is "Will you guys continue to call it the drunkduck quackcast or just the duck quckcast?"

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What I meant to say is "Will you guys continue to call it the drunkduck quackcast or just the duck quckcast?"
Ha! Always Drunk Duck!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ew! I just listened to myself all over again here… I sound… not nice. Hahahaa, I'm trying to focus my thoughts AND chat and interview and do a cogent Quackcast at the same time. My brain not so good at that. Brain go sleepy. Durrrrr.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

I find it hard to say what I don't like about the quackcast not because i don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but because there's not really anything not to like about it.
Well there was one issue, but it was addressed on the page. (The sound).
Time to listen to 15 again… and perhaps contribute to 28… ^_^

darthfurby
darthfurby
Posted at

I was hoping this episode about monetizing webomics would've produced some concrete numbers, like banner ad earnings per view, minimum views per day, etc, but those are things people tend to keep to themselves(understandably) so it's RARE to find solid numbers anywhere. Yahoo finance reported a statistical breakdown of 10 youtube content creators who made six figures on BANNER AD REVENUE ALONE(maybe The Duck should become the next "youtube" of webcomics with a similar ad revenue sharing system, or maybe not since youtube itself continues to lose embarassingly large sums of money each year):

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/meet-the-youtube-stars-making-100000-plus-per-year-535349.html?tickers=goog,^ixic,qqqq

James' convention anecdotes were both interesting and horrifying. Drawing 200 to 250 sketch cards at a convention over one weekend IS INSANE, that's like 10 cards per hour, 1 card sketched every 6 minutes. Good money but YIKES! I saw a guy sketch 100 cards live on ustream for 24 hours straight and it hurt just watching him. Not surprised to hear that people prefer buying sketches of established recognizable characters like Batman, Batman, and more Batman, instead of original material, especially in a bad economy. That phenomenon isn't exclusive to comics. But I'm like Ozone, I want original content.

And I want Batman too of course.

But how do we get people to buy original content? James has some interesting sales tactics: insulting customers, reverse psychology, catering to the masses by drawing Batman villains as a gateway drug to his work. Personally I'm much more comfortable browsing merchandise without the seller pressuring me into a purchase, so any kind of sales tactic would likely alienate me no matter how well it was delivered. Generally I buy based on quality of work, not how friendly the person is, but an unfriendly person could turn me off from buying excellent work, and a really friendly person could earn a sympathy purchase. It's awkward to walk away from a table empty handed after you've had a really nice chat after all.

James mentioned that you have to sell yourself as much as the work, but I wonder how, and what part of him he sold to push sales.

Overall, I thought the discussion for this episode was solid, but familiar. Making money, especially on the web, is a subject that has been covered to death, so it's hard to offer something new in this area that hasn't already been discussed, but a stronger emphasis on numbers, anecdotes, and tactics specific to the people and contributors on the show would've made it unique. Having a special guest on this episode helped keep it fresh and interesting tho.

Also, skoolmunkee must've had a sip of that Australian water, she played comedian to ozoneocean's straight man. Holy role reversal Batman!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Great analysis there Darth! :)
Thanks for that, it really helps us a LOT and it's great too read feedback ^_^

Also, skoolmunkee must've had a sip of that Australian water, she played comedian to ozoneocean's straight man. Holy role reversal Batman!
Ha! It's a combo of things- I organised and wrote most of the cast so I was focused on moving through the topics… And Skool just being an amazing flirt ^__^

Hahaha! It was funny, me thinking "hurry up and let me get to the next topic you two!", which is pretty much what Skool was doing back when we did our first interview with Amy and Nick.
Complete reversal!

Posted at

What are you guys even talking about T_T

Yeah, people may to keep their best tactics to themselves- either that or they haven't figured it out either. Oz did pull in a number of people for these (Ronson the publisher, Amy/Nick the merch, Riot the con/commission/'sponsored' guy) so I think we did get a good variety of experience there! But much of their advice and experience was probably overall familiar-sounding because stuff that works for them works for other people too.

I think that as much as we'd like to always have new info and cater to a more experienced set of people ready to 'work' their webcomic at a higher level, some of our topics are going to match better with less-experienced folks and not really have too much that's new for people who have been doing this for a while. I certainly learned some things though. :] The "numbers, anecdotes, and tactics" criticism is solid, in retrospect there wasn't a lot of that. Maybe that could be a future show? "How do you get people to buy your work?"

Perhaps in the metrics podcast we're planning with Shadowsmyst, she'll be able to talk about some of those numbers you were asking about? I might also suggest the Webcomics Weekly to you, those guys tend to talk a lot more about the business mechanics of their comics and do get into numbers and things.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Not really critical feedback, but I got quite a lot out of this episode. Hmm. Yes. Quite a lot. Are there notes for this in the tutorials section? Maybe for #'s filled with info this might be a good idea. Like this one.
T_T
As it happens I happened to be playing Dragon Ball Z when "Drag-on" ball was mentioned. T_T.
(I would've contributed, but lost track of time.)

Posted at

I haven't done a tutorial for this one (or the artists' workshop), I wasn't quite sure how to condense them without just posting our own notes with all the explanations and everything. But maybe that's what's needed? And it would be less work anyway. :]

I will have a look at doing that, probably not til the weekend though! I'm glad you found it useful. :]

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Skoolmunkee should totally read Malefic. It's apocalyptic and will eventually be post apocalyptic.

Hearing my stuff read back was weird, I was heavily medicated at the time I wrote it and had very little recollection of doing it. Probably why somethings didn't make as much sense as they might.

Posted at

It was perfectly understandable! Thanks for being a regular contributor. :]

I have read Malefic, but I'm sure it was before you switched to the 3D. The earlier art didn't really grab me so I guess I haven't just come back round to it, but it's still hanging around on my favorites list at least. :]

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

The earlier art was/is rougher than a badgers arse. It got better but I could never match the quality of my stills with doing a comic. I've replaced all of chapters one and two and working on three. Really hate those older pages, far too rushed and hideous.

Posted at

Hey if we can't be useful or interesting we can at least sound like we're having fun!

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

30 was really informative. I've never been to a comic con, but now I know what to do should I have the opportunity one day. I must bring free "shinies".

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

30 wasn't bad, quite interesting but I've never even been to a comic convention. that said I want to, but there aren't many I know of in the uk. At least none anywhere near me.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Woop, this week's Quackcast is up. yay!
Mostly another conversational one again. I say "you know" a lot and mispronounce "Prurient."

Skoolmunkee's hillbilly accent is freakin' hilarious!

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Skoolmunkee's hillbilly accent is freakin' hilarious!
Both of you as hill billies were hilarious. Specially about shooting the drunk raccoon. Ha! I can always count on you two to make me laugh out loud.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I had intended to send stuff in for that but been major busy of late.

accents were funny.

Posted at

Laughed way too hard at the Hillbilly accents, damn those drunk raccoons! Hahaha! :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.