Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

@Genejoke: I'm glad you found it humorous! I'm sure Nick will be happy to know that his advice was interesting too! :D Thanks for listening!

@DarkGesen: Haha, that probably was Nick, he was in the other room and probably didn't realize it was picking up the water bottle he had. I was afraid to leave the interview and tell him ! (could be the 3 cats too, they were making a lot of noises I could hear over his mic as well)

Regarding Dr. Seuss however, I think this poem by a friend of his should prove enlightening!
You’re wrong as the deuce
And you shouldn’t rejoice
If you’re calling him Seuss.
He pronounces it Soice

He did change it to rhyme with "goose" later on since there was no convincing people it was otherwise. :D
Where did you hear it's rhymed with dice, out of curiosity? :)
At least it didn't sound like "souse"! (that's basically an older term for "drunkard"!) lol!

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Where did you hear it's rhymed with dice, out of curiosity? :)

I read it in a magazine a long time ago. I can't remember what magazine, but I remember from that moment on I made sure I would to correct every time I heard it mispronounced. (Don't ask why, guess I admire his writing style and don't like hearing his name pronounced incorrectly). But if what you say is true, (I don't doubt you or anything) I'm just as wrong as everyone else?! Damn!! I will change my ways immediately.

Funny how an interview in a podcast leads to the discussion about the pronunciation of the name or Dr. Seu-"Soice" ,eh?

(By the way, great Podcast, guys, I wasn't sure how you would top last weeks, or the week before's but you've done it again.)

Re: Ep 12
I found what you had too say about mirroring very interesting (though that was the main point of the podcast)
I've been considering mirroring for a while, and while it's great that you provide a balanced opinions on these things I'm still unsure about if I should or not… (but I'm just an indecisive person).
Will we ever learn about Ozone's past how he became an admin?
You guys should/could talk about the store and publishing work(?).
Oh my. Literally LOL'ed when Ozone said "I think we talked this one to death". Nah, there was plenty of info in this episode.
Geez… Speaking of talking something to death…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Oh my. Literally LOL'ed when Ozone said "I think we talked this one to death". Nah, there was plenty of info in this episode.
Geez… Speaking of talking something to death…
Ha! Naw, we really love and appreciate your feedback man!
Wish there were more like you and Genejoke in here :)

Yup:

QUACKCAST 12 IS OUT!

Posted at

DarkGesen you are fast. :lol:

Yeah, I think this one came out a bit unstructured and I felt like I was being a bit negative about comic hosting. It sounded okay when I listened back to it though… except when I realized I had been constantly talking over Oz like a jerk.

The next few should be pretty good! We are doing more advanced planning, haha. :]

JillyFoo
JillyFoo
Posted at

Hey guys! Just popped by to say I love the new quackcast!

I really love listening to webcomic podcasts while I draw, so it's great to add a new one to the list. I also look forward to more interviews of well known DD people. :)

If you need any help or have questions about doing podcasts I know Fes from the Webcomic Beacon and can get you in touch with him or ask questions for ya.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

It was a good one, been thinking about the site thing. Before coming to DD I ideally wanted to host it myself, man that would have been a pain in the ass. As for the professionalism… or snobbery… well maybe but as long as people can navigate a site easily and do the things they expect to be able to do I doubt it is an issue for 90% of potential readers.

But yeah I thought skoolmunkee sounded fairly anti hosting site at first but once she went more in detail it sounded fine.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Thanks for the continuing feedback guys! ^_^

@ Genejoke-
Skool is the bad one. Ozone is always the good one :)

@ Jillyfoo0 thanks Jilly! I wouldn't know what questions to ask… But Skool might.
As well as being the evil one, Skool is also the smart one.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

Thanks for mentioning the list. I hope that it continues to grow and if it helps one person it's been worth the upkeep (admittedly it's not that hard)

There is a need for tutorials on actually making art. I need to get a hold of some, but I'd really like to see others involved as well.

Again, thanks for mention in the last podcast.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

13 episodes in, maybe it's time to take "Introducing" out of this thread title? XD
(13 episodes, 14 separate podcasts)
You guys are hilarious about to reveal the plot to Magellan.
Fear the Wrath of Skoolmonkee!
"Everybody knows you're the evil one!"
Classic Ozone comedy.
What was that crickets sound? That was really weird (and random XD)
I despise fillers. I try not to put fillers up, especially ones that provide information about characters like personalities and stuff. For stuff like that you should show, not tell in my opinion.
The only fillers I've ever done were a family tree (because I introduced a group of characters at once and deliberately haven't canonically introduced yet) and a (back when i was trying to do a chapter at a time) "next chapter" page at the end of the chapter, however these do disrupt the flow, so when I go over my archives I'll remove them.
Ozone's like me, always cracking jokes and laughing at them XD
Another great podcast. You guys are on a roll.
Once again I've talked a lot, so I'll leave the fan art to someone else. :P

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

"Classic Ozone comedy"? Haha, now I like that! ^_^

Skool and I jam through a lot of webcomics all in one go due to our featuring duties so stuff like filler is annoying when you do that, especially if it's in the middle of a story (not near a chapter end or start), the breaks the flow.
It's worse though for a reader when you update with filler in your normal update schedule because they can't just click over to the next page- they waited for an update and that got a fake update instead, and now they have to wait more to see if they get a real update next time or just more filler again.

I almost labelled this as Quackcast 14 in all my external blog posts. :)
We're doing another on tomorrow ^^

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Dear Skoolmunkee,

From, BffSatan

darthfurby
darthfurby
Posted at

Thumbs up on episode 13, there's a really nice flow emerging in the cast, tho I'd like to hear more thoughts in the features section about what you both liked and didn't like, perhaps talk about why you had a reaction to a specific moment or panel or art style. The advice section of the podcast = awesome. Don't like filler, I think too much fan art is bad for my creative health, tho fan art once in awhile can be a lot of fun, and I listen in on other people's conversations to break out of writer's block. I don't think I've ever had artist's block, more like artist fatigue/laziness, and frankly never really figured out a way to break out of that consistently.

Great show, hope you guys keep it going for many many more episodes.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

more like artist fatigue/laziness, and frankly never really figured out a way to break out of that consistently.

Isn't that just a form of creative block? It's easy to break that, just spank yourself.

Okay maybe not.

I often divert my energies elsewhere and find the answer/inspiration/whatever presents itself, sometimes in dream. Sometimes I just need a little break.

As for filler… depands on the filler but ozones comment about the placement and moving it after is something I agree with. A little filler between chapters is fine in my opinion and is where I place it, well either that or delete it.

xmung
xmung
Posted at

Hey thanks for the nice things you said about Magellan in your recent quackcast… it's always a nice ego boost to hear people talking about my stuff. :D

To answer a few of the questions you raised…
- yes, xmung is pronounced "ex"mung (it doesn't mean anything, although there is a long boring story behind it)
- yep, I'm a dude (or to use the Aussie parlance, 'bloke' )
- yeah, I'm an Aussie!
- the lack of cast page is one of my greatest shames… I am working on a very thorough one though, hopefully very, very soon…!

Also Magellan is in one of your other recent features - Crossoverkill!

Cheers!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Zmung is my preference ^_^

New cast coming out on this Tuesday!

Posted at

So that is a goanna! Its skin looks all loose…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Goannas a very big monitor lizards like Komodo Dragons, except they're much nicer looking because they have longer necks ^_^
Komodo Dragons have shorter necks and those look a bit… like foreskin. -_-
-They're not nearly as massive as Komodos though. Those things are unbelievably huge… But a big goanna can get as long as two meters.

———————

Quackcast 14 is OUT!
And this week we have another guest star- VegaX! He's king of the comic review forum.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

now one up, the review thing was interesting. Especially stuff about getting educated by other people comic's review.

Also with people "getting" a comic, I agree with both of you. There is a difference between understanding something and seeing anything to appreciate about it.

In a recent review someone said how much they dislike the main character in Underbelly and it felt really negative on first reading but it summed him up near perfectly. In another someone mentioned the pixelization of the speech balloons which is something I had been thinking to improve but always fell to the back burner. that brought it to the fore again and have since remedied it. The reviews have lead me to improve, so all good. They do sting sometimes though.

Pinky TA review… I read a review on another site ages ago and they tore it apart but I honestly can't remember where it was.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Damn… wasn't the first to comment this week.
I guess I'm one of those people who takes critisms to heart and would re-do older pages.
I say that because I'm doing it now(!) For a number of reasons, though.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

reviewing
Lol yeah- there are two sorts of unhelpful reviews:
Puff-pieces and Tear-downs.
Two different extremes- One is for the benefit of the comic author's ego and possibly to curry favour with them or promote them. The other is for the ego of the reviewer and to entertain the reviewer's audience.

Neither are particularly helpful for improving the quality of the work because that's not the focus. It'd be fantastic if it was, but when it comes to those extremes, it's not.
For example, a site like "your webcomic is bad so you should feel bad" won't give you any insight on how to write a better webcomic, but it MAY entertain you, and if it does then it's done it's main job.

As a working webcomicer, when looking for useful stuff to apply to yourself or pick up pointers on how to better give a review, you'll know to steer clear of reviews where there's an over-abundance of obvious hyperbole (like a silly Yahtze game review), or a clear attitude or thread of bias that runs through the whole thing- as in "this work is like this because the author is a…" and "here is another example of the same sort of thing, the author is obviously…"

A useful critical review, as opposed to an entertaining one, will be quite balanced throughout as the reviewer seeks to evaluate each point on it's own merits: ie. "The art is rendered extremely well, but the detail can overwhelm the action in the scene. The story has a slow pace and is structured quite unevenly, especially toward the end, but the dialogue was punchy and helped build the action" rather than "the art is good, I liked it. The writing is horrible, the author cant write,"
- The latter isn't really balanced it just pits different aspects against one another without properly evaluating them.

Helpful criticism was something we had to do a lot of back when I was doing fine art at Uni :)

———–
I didn't mean to sound as if I was displeased with all my reviews in the review forum though! From memory some people DID indeed pick up on some issues, and I do appreciate it when people have nice things to say, even if that's not really the place for it.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I didn't mean to sound as if I was displeased with all my reviews in the review forum though

I didn't take that from it at all, don't worry. I often find i start trying to be constructive about the art (or whatever) and come off harsher than I want to.

Another thing that bugs me about badly taken reviews is the whole "it's just opinion not a proper review." well all reviews are opinion. Granted some are put across better than others but at the end of the day all reviews are opinion. Also much is down to personal preference. The hardest thing for me to review is gag a day strips as most look like crap and have all the artistic merit of a baboons arse. But if they make me laugh then… well does't make for a very insightful review. Also what makes me laugh seems to offend a lot of people :)

In reviews and comment above threads people have said things like…

You do see a high level of improvement and the artist is really good at perspective (also rare in webcomics) But the sketchyness of some of the line art can be eye bleeding at times. And the coloring can be sometimes just way to busy. But it is improving.

noticed the text boxes and bubbles are kind of messy and need some work.

The art is down right ugly but functional. I never had any trouble understanding what was happening and that's important.

here are some little things like typos that could be easily avoided. I call for more quality control.

For instance I don't dig your word bubbles and the pixelation. Everything can be smooved out and much neater. Fonts are okay, your sound effects are actually the best in terms of fitting with the actual comic. Like you need to make it more appealing terms of 3d mixing with text. If you are beginner at the program that you are doing the text and actual comic graphics, I suggest to really study tutorials, like photo touch ups*, exportation with less pixelation, different approach to brushes and bubbles.

All of which have spurred me to improve, well mostly. I'm still rubbish at editing my own work though. The thing is all of those comments were done well and didn't seemed overly harsh or complimentry.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

What happened to the Review Duck that was mentioned in the quackcast?

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

probably got drunk and abusive :)

Posted at

Glad to see this one is prompting some discussion! i don't think the quackcast warrants its own forum yet though. :] But ONE DAY….

Motivated by our own quackcast, Oz and I are going to try out a couple things with the features. Not a full on critique but something more reviewy. We'll see how that goes this week.

The review duck was just an image that someone had made and hosted in their files area. Anyone who wanted to notify others that they were open to critique would just post the img /img code for that in their author's comments or as part of their custom page HTML. It did help some people out. I suppose it probably went away during one of the big site crashes when things got lost and members came and went and not everything got remade like it used to be.

There's no reason why it couldn't come back. You'd just need a good image and people willing to use it. So a bit of artistic work, and some organization. :]

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.