Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

In regards to the skimpy outfit thing, it's all about balance. Like Kyupol sid some characters will wear skimpy outfits, the problem is when every female characters goes around in next to nothing regardless of their personality. Pretty sure there is a comic or game somewhere in which mother theresa wears nothing but a thong.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Promiscuity is of the devil. :D

But then again, the whores in the olden days had more clothing…
haha, wow!
I was just reading some short stories about the older Middle Eastern religions where they mention Tiamat and Lilitu etc. It's really amazing how much religions get recycled on and on in culture and old legends get turned into such stupid background nonsense in later ones.

——————

We may do a Quackcast focusing on the depiction of female characters in webcomics in the future… But I think that'd be better as a panel type thing where people just proffer and defend opinions, using various examples and putting forward different points of view.
-With me taking the lead rather than Skool so she's free to approach the subject from any angle without being pigeonholed in the "feminist advocate" role.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I can't see how you can stop that happening short of her putting a balanced pint across well in such a debate. You should get someone else to chair it, I mean Pinky TA sort of puts you in a very specific position. i could say a lot more on it but if you quack it i may as well send script or recording when required.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I can't see how you can stop that happening short of her putting a balanced pint across well in such a debate. You should get someone else to chair it, I mean Pinky TA sort of puts you in a very specific position. i could say a lot more on it but if you quack it i may as well send script or recording when required.
LOL!
Pinky TA helps qualify me I think. :)
-I understand all sides of the issue, but I come at it from a normal male perspective. Where-as Skool and whoever else would be able to offer more mediated, all around views on the subject:

Rather than someone coming out and saying: "now people, let me tell you why this and thins and these things are ALL bad and you're naughty and dirty for doing that! And now these people will tell you why that's bad too and then we'll have a token male to offer counter view…"
-Instead I can just talk about how comics are (mine included), what I think are the issues with the way females are portrayed, and they talk more realistically about those issues…

You see, what men (myself included) and feminist teen girls tend to imagine as being the problems with depictions of females in comics is a little bit exaggerated, and often a little silly. Skoolmunkee has a far broader, more nuanced perspective on the matter so it'd be interesting to hear her talk about it in a way that lets her express herself without putting pressure on her.

Anyway, I think you've got Skool a little bit wrong. She's not a stereotypical "woman are exploited" sort of person. She understands the appeal and role of T&A as much as anyone else. And although My comic has a notable T&A aspect, that's not actually what it's about.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Not thinking that at at all, she showed that quite well in the last QC. However you could do with someone like that discussing it.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

#21 was excellent. I need to put a more exact date on my page when I'm coming out of hiatus.

Yay 4 Accents!!

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

21? where is it? I only see twenty and older.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Ah, Ill have to wait, i won't let stuff like itunes infest my computer.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ah, Ill have to wait, i won't let stuff like itunes infest my computer.
ditto
It's always had nasty bugs (on Windows and Macs)… and back when I still used Quicktime Apple changed the updating process so it was almost impossible to get rid of the update alerter and it forced you to download and install both itunes AND Safari. I have never seen such virus-like tactics from a major computer or software maker.
-So many people's comps I had to clean that out from. -_-

Plus, my boss has it on his comp for his iphone and I'm frequently having to go in and troubleshoot nasty bugs for him.

-BUT, a LOT of people on the net use it these days, so it's great that Kinh uploads the cast there and adds dynamic content like images and links and stuff into it, so it's pretty cool.
And then zillions of people use Windows too and that's hardly free of bugs anyway, so it's much of a muchness I 'spose :)

—————–
Skool's accent sounds a bit like Genejoke.
My accents sound a bit like… someone with a brain injury.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

My accents sound a bit like… someone with a brain injury.

oo very self-critical. Maybe you just need to sing your cast.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

I never realised iTunes was evil.
I guess I should've seen the signs, safari is awful and my G4 ipod nano broke before my G2 nano.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

vid
You're right! It could be worse :)
I never realised iTunes was evil.
I guess I should've seen the signs, safari is awful and my G4 ipod nano broke before my G2 nano.
ALL computer programs are evil! :(

Posted at

Quit talkin' about me like I'm not here, guys! :O

About the feminism thing, I generally just approach it from "I'm a woman who reads comics and likes to see women represented in a way she can relate to" and not any kind of sociological or psychological standpoint or whatever. I'm really not qualified to talk about women's issues from a broader perspective because there is a lot of stuff around that I don't really know.

Anyway the current one is up now on the site, Genejoke. :] I don't think my accent sounded like you at all though! Well, maybe a little. I think I said in one of them but you sound like a Milton Keynesian I know. I like Oz's accents though! They're fun and over the top kinds, "good" rather than "correct" if you know what I mean. (not that they aren't correct, but… okay I'll just stop now)

iTunes is evil, I hate it, it's terribly designed and does all kinds of things I don't want it to. But I'm stuck with it because I use ipods, which ARE nice little devices.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I just use a basic mp3 player, it's small, cheap and plays music, job done.

I have no idea about the milton keynes type thing but I recorded that full of cold and could hardly breath. Listening back some of it sounded really weird.

Posted at

We've got two new Quackcasts posted today!

Quackcast Episode 21: Interview with Lawrence Leach, CTO of WOWIO!
This is a special edition QuackCast recorded specifically to address the site issues which came up on DrunkDuck in the past week. Lawrence discusses the problems from a technical perspective and answers a lot of questions!

and our usual,

Episode 21 - I Say Old Chum, Jolly Good Advice About Speeding Up
skool and oz summarize the site problem from March 30th, and then go on to discuss various ways in which you might speed up the process of making your comics. Also we go kind of overboard on accents.

Posted at

Its occurred to me that listening to QuackCast's during lessons is probably a very silly thing to do, beacuse I will burst out into hysterical fits of laughter when OzoneOcean puts on his little Dastardly Villain accent.

*gapped toothed smile*

Aaaaabsolutely loved it however, more crazy accents HO!

Posted at

Hahha, I love your userpic!

We were a little worried about the accents in this one, really! That doing them takes away from the message, like the advice would be poorly delivered or taken less seriously. (Either that or they would just be annoying or at least distracting to people who didn't like them.)

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Ah, I was wondering when this interview was going to be uploaded. I'll listen to it on my way to college. Somehow I doubt this one will have many (if any) crazy accents.

iPods are great when they are working properly.

ALL computer programs are evil!

And DD doesn't count because it's a site, and not a program!! B)

#21.5 is very informative. I'm not as enraged as I've seen some other users about this whole server crash because stuff like this happens. And it's not like it was deliberate. I'm glad they had up to January backed up. I didn't have any doubts, but it's nice to hear some reassurance from the guys behind the scenes. Admittedly I only really lost about 20 pages, but that's nothing.
Keep up the good work everyone!

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Just finished listening to 21.5, and it was great to hear directly from Lawrence about how he sees the current situation, some of the challenges involved, and what the strategy is.

I was already convinced of his dedication to fix what can be fixed of last week's catastrophe, but frankly, I'm now reassured that Lawrence is someone with some serious smarts. Wanting to do something and having the ability to do it are not always synonymous. So good: He's not looking to merely apply band-aids, but is anticipating the soon-to-be beta situation and the overall future.

The DD situation reminds me of so many residential communities, certainly here in NJ, whose population exploded far more quickly than ever anticipated, and whose structural support lags way behind. Transit, education, municipal services - everything - is in a scramble to meet the needs of a huge population. It's not an overnight fix.

So, again, thanks Lawrence! I trust you're putting your best brains on it. And good luck :)

— (wildebeests looking forward to funny accents)

and now on to 21.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I say Ozone' - played a blinder on the accent front old chap - country club application in the post 'n'all that - jolly spiffing enunciation! Right - 21.5: I'm orf to run Lawrence up the flagpole and see if he blows eh wot!

Posted at

We were a little worried about the accents in this one, really! That doing them takes away from the message, like the advice would be poorly delivered or taken less seriously.

Haha, I don't know why you should be worried, if anything it gets people more interseted and involved in the casts because they're fun as well as informative. I mean heaps of people are now sending scripts for you guys to read in awesome accents. HELL I'm considering doing it now, I'm thinking a Crocodile Dundee accent…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I say Ozone' - played a blinder on the accent front old chap - country club application in the post 'n'all that - jolly spiffing enunciation! Right - 21.5: I'm orf to run Lawrence up the flagpole and see if he blows eh wot!
It's like the love-child of Berty Wooster and Terry Thomas!
And what a handsome chap he is.
Haha, I don't know why you should be worried, if anything it gets people more interseted and involved in the casts because they're fun as well as informative. I mean heaps of people are now sending scripts for you guys to read in awesome accents. HELL I'm considering doing it now, I'm thinking a Crocodile Dundee accent…
Do it! ^_^

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Omg Oz… you just made my day. lol!

Have you tried doing standup comedy or being a professional clown? Probably would make you more cash than being a graphic designer.

Next time, I wanna see you imitate Alex Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7hOSVWJV9U

I'd be so totally impressed.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Omg Oz… you just made my day. lol!

Have you tried doing standup comedy or being a professional clown? Probably would make you more cash than being a graphic designer.

Next time, I wanna see you imitate Alex Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7hOSVWJV9U

I'd be so totally impressed.
LOL! Thanks! I'm only as funny as the scripts :)

If you want to write a script on a Quackcast topic using an Alex Jones theme, then I'll read it in an imitation of him. That'd probably work best ^_^

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.