Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Genejoke, why you gotta pick on Oz, maybe it was me! (Actually I don't know, I didn' notice it when I listened back.)

(Also also, see this thread on how to pronounce my nick ^_^)

Yeah I realized right before I opened my mouth that I didn't remember how it was supposed to be pronounced. :I Anyway with you I just cruise by your profile now and then and go "Okay, so what can I feature next???" Glad to hear that Bombshell should have more pages soon. :]

Ironscarf, you are beloved! I am sorry to hear about your job by the way. :I More time with the kids at least, maybe? (And yay, more pages!)

The "wishlist" was actually kind of hard, because there are a lot of comics that would have fallen into the "I feel really bad but it's just not good enough" category and I wouldn't ever publicise them like that… and "not enough pages yet" would kind of spoil future features maybe. But maybe we'll do something like that again, mention comics that are worth a good look. :]

BffSatan
BffSatan
Posted at

Am I the only one curious about this 'cease and desist' thing?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Me too. No idea what that one's about.
Funnily enough looked through the yearly listing of features you linked to in that other thread and spotted the time when Spang and I stopped doing them.. It wasn't for as long as I thought. It was towards the end of 2007 and in the first part of 2008. It was probably for about a year all up… which isn't bad given the total time I've been doing them. But I still feel really guilty though.

Man that was thoughtless.
——————

Number 19 has no silly accents… I read out Demontales' script but he didn't specify anything so I didn't want to look as if I wasn't taking his stuff seriously by doing one.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

What?! No Accents?! Why?!

By the way, Ozone's laughing at around 26 or so minutes into # 18 was really funny.

Posted at

I can't remember details about it, it wasn't one of my features. It was sometime after the Wolverine spoof comic was featured, the comic was along those lines- using copyrighted characters or something. Apparently Platinum got a letter from the copyright owner (a syndicate I think?) and they had to take the whole comic down. It happened very quickly and I think we just bumped up the next one in the queue. It was a pretty long time ago, I might have some details wrong.

Ozone would you quit feeling guilty about that already, I got over it and forgot about it ages ago. T_____T Besides I pretty much just left the rest of the admin work to you guys. :]

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

new one is up but broken.

Okay it works now.

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

Ozone pronounces "Raster" like "Rasta" XD
I'm sitting there, thinking "did he just say Rasta? What's that got to do with anything?"

demontales
demontales
Posted at

Number 19 has no silly accents… I read out Demontales' script but he didn't specify anything so I didn't want to look as if I wasn't taking his stuff seriously by doing one.

Since I do have accent in english I almost asked if you knew the french accent from Quebec, but I had an impression it would end up more of french accent from France.

Oh, and I'm a he :P

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Since I do have accent in english I almost asked if you knew the french accent from Quebec, but I had an impression it would end up more of french accent from France.

There's a difference? most people wouldn't notice and I imagine if ozone did it there wouldn't be strong resemblance to either. Would be funny to hear though.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

There's a difference? most people wouldn't notice and I imagine if ozone did it there wouldn't be strong resemblance to either. Would be funny to hear though.
I would've researched it specifically :(

demontales
demontales
Posted at

here's a difference? most people wouldn't notice and I imagine if ozone did it there wouldn't be strong resemblance to either. Would be funny to hear though.

Often there is a big difference. However, when speaking english maybe we discern these different accents more easily. When talking French however, the accents are very different. A little like American and England's English.

But it would probably be funny if Ozone used any French accent.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

here's a difference? most people wouldn't notice and I imagine if ozone did it there wouldn't be strong resemblance to either. Would be funny to hear though.

Often there is a big difference. However, when speaking english maybe we discern these different accents more easily. When talking French however, the accents are very different. A little like American and England's English.

But it would probably be funny if Ozone used any French accent.

They should have you as a proper guest next time. Very insightful stuff. :)

DarkGesen
DarkGesen
Posted at

QC 20 was great, as usual.
I'd love to contribute… only I don't know what I'd say.

I've got a dingo!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Skool's accent was magnifficent!

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Skool's accent was magnifficent!
YES! another super QC. I do like hearing the different voices (even my own), but the Ozone and Skool accents are best

— (official wildebeest announcement)

when I gave myself my DD name, it was from its meaning and I hadn't really thought about how it would be said, but now I've reconsidered.

Here and forth with: ayesinback is officially pronounced "eyes-in-back" :neenjah:

(it does sound better)

Posted at

It's going to take me a few weeks before I can bear to go back and listen to myself. Sorry for yelling at you to stop laughing, Oz. :D And also sorry for forgetting to list you in my "total experience of Australian accents," I'm not sure why TV shows rated above you.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

ayesinback can be a good hypnotist.

But… like any skill it requires some practice. Believe me. I hypnotized a friend and got her to hallucinate reptoids. I'm not joking though that sounds funny.

Speaking of hypnosis, listening to Alex Jones talk about Fukushima and Libya and the New World Order… then listening to Oz and Skool to make me laugh… its actually a hypnosis technique used on people with phobias.

I have a friend who is a psychotherapist and thats what he told me he does to people with phobias. He'd hypnotize the patient then bring them into the phobia situation (e.g. spiders. put them in a room full of spiders). Then alternate it with sending the patient to their "happy place" (lets say a beautiful beach). Until the patient will dis-associate from the phobia until it reaches a point that the phobia will be gone.

Anyway, great job. I suggest though bringing up live guests and asking them questions on the air or something.

darthfurby
darthfurby
Posted at

Big points to skoolmunkee for discussing her disappointment over the sexualized portrayal of female characters in comics, a guy like me needs to hear that more often because my hormones compel me to draw(and read) that stuff, while my brain tries to relate to how a woman sees it. Reading comics featuring buff half naked men in skintight outfits doesn't bother me in the least, so it's hard for me(and I suspect most guys) to see it from a woman's perspective.

I second kyupol's suggestion for live guests. For now, I enjoyed listening to the pre-recorded voices of other drunk duck members and hope that continues in future quackcasts, but not when it cuts into our ozoneocean/skoolmunkee time, especially since this episode was only 45 minutes! Not good. At least an hour please, especially if we have additional content like the voicemail segment. As for the scripts, I thought skoolmunkee did a solid accent, tho it sounded more British than Australian, and I would've welcomed a second helping of ozoneocean's American accent(which was HILARIOUS in a previous episode.)

In its current format, the features seem somewhat scripted and too planned out; I think a natural organic discussion between two friends approach would better serve that segment.

Also, I'd love to see a Drunk Duck copyright/ownership discussion someday. If a Drunk Duck comic strikes it rich(i.e. huge distribution deal) does the creator own everything or does WOWIO get a piece of the action? What rights does WOWIO gain when a creator uploads a comic to Drunk Duck? Who owns what and how much, that sort of thing. WOWIO's Copyright and Authorized Use section caused me to raise an eyebrow:

"All materials contained in this website ("Website Materials") including comic strips, books, art, illustrations, images, or text are trademarks or copyrighted materials owned and controlled by WOWIO, INC or its subsidiaries, affiliated entities and/or third-party licensors and/or individual creators, and are protected by applicable trademark and/or copyright law. "

I'm really rambling here. Anyway, great podcast guys, I listen to them every week.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Thanks for the advice! We'll see how we can modify the features in future. :)
At the moment we've found it a little easier to stick mostly with one each, to save on preparation time and to save on taking time from the rest of the Quackcast, but we could modify it to a more informal review… we'll see.

Also, I'd love to see a Drunk Duck copyright/ownership discussion someday. If a Drunk Duck comic strikes it rich(i.e. huge distribution deal) does the creator own everything or does WOWIO get a piece of the action? What rights does WOWIO gain when a creator uploads a comic to Drunk Duck? Who owns what and how much, that sort of thing. WOWIO's Copyright and Authorized Use section caused me to raise an eyebrow:

Ah, no issue here actually.
ALL copyright is 100% retained by the creator. Wowio has no part in it at all.
For that to happen you'd have to sign a contract granting specific rights AND you'd get a lot more compensation than just the right to display on a website.

If a comic makes it big or even if it doesn't, all success, all money or whatever is the creator's own. The copyright blurb stuff you're talking about is just part of the usual copy and paste pseudo legal crap people always feel compelled to paste all over websites somewhere.

Wowio only has copyright over its OWN graphics here, like the Quackcast banner etc, or the html template of the page you're reading this one, that sort of thing.

itsjustaar
itsjustaar
Posted at

Hahahah, I was really hamming it up. I wasn't able to stick around to hear the whole completed reel, but when my friend saved a part of it for me when I came on, we had a couple giggles on who sandwiched me in the final take. ;D

You guys sound so much better than me. xD Microsoft Sam and Randall from Clerks.

Posted at

Anyway, great job. I suggest though bringing up live guests and asking them questions on the air or something.
Yeah we plan to do this occasionally! They tend to involve a little more planning and organization (plus finding a good guest/topic match) so I'm not sure it will ever be a *frequent* thing, but we do have another one lined up for the very near future and plans for a couple more when the time is right. :] I suspect when we're more comfortable with them we'll have more of them, we're still kind of figuring out how to get these put together most efficiently.

Big points to skoolmunkee for discussing her disappointment over the sexualized portrayal of female characters in comics
Thanks for saying that. :] It's something I try not to bring up too much, because I don't want to come off as having a chip on my shoulder about it, but a couple of times I've had to say something. I normally don't mind too much to be honest, I recoginise it's going to happen (and I've probably done it myself). Just sometimes it's very glaring.

especially since this episode was only 45 minutes! Not good. At least an hour please, especially if we have additional content like the voicemail segment.
One thing we're not sure about is time, we're still not sure what the ideal time for these should be (plus we're not very good at keeping track of time while we're talking). We've been trying to get in between 45-60 minutes. Would it be worthwhile creating some kind of anonymised survey to find out what time, features of the show, etc people most commonly want?

In its current format, the features seem somewhat scripted and too planned out; I think a natural organic discussion between two friends approach would better serve that segment.
They pretty much are scripts. That's because the quackcasts have been taking more time to prepare as we go, and we thought it would save us a good hour or so of prep time by not having to read each other's features much and just have a few critical comments to make. We tended to talk a lot longer about the features when it was conversational too, and we were hoping to free up time to give to the main topic and to add in stuff like the 'voicemail.' Maybe there's a compromise?

It's all pretty experimental really. We want to have informative and interesting quackcasts without too much rambling, but don't want to sound like it's a bunch of bullet points we have to hit and talk through on rails. We don't want them to run too long but we also don't like having to leave out stuff we prepared. And as we get into more informative topics, prep time goes up, so we put that time where we felt like it was more important. It's a small balancing act, I don't think we've worked it out completely yet. That's why feedback is good. :] If listeners feel something we're doing isn't working it's good to know, maybe that is something we fan fix. I don't think we'll be able to suit everybody of course.

None of that was me saying "that's how it is and it isn't going to change," just some explanation in repsonse to your comments.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

ayesinback can be a good hypnotist.
Hahaha. Did I make you feel sleepy?

Actually, I have done a few guided meditations.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

@ayesinback - a little sleepy.

Guided meditations and hypnosis share very similar traits. The only difference being is guided meditations tend to go into the spiritual stuff that the atheist or the christian might resist. Therefore creating blocks in their mind, thus rendering it useless.

Hypnosis these days has this "white lab coat" feel on it since its used by some psychiatrists (usually those who arent too gung-ho on prescribing prozac and who actually fix people) and not just confined to the eastern new age spirituality.

@skoolmunkee - looking forward to the guests.

Anyway while I'm at it, you do have a point on women with skimpy outfits in comics. But then again, what if they're SUPPOSE to be the "bad girl"?

Promiscuity is of the devil. :D

But then again, the whores in the olden days had more clothing…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.