Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Is it in bad taste to add a ton of friends?

Posted at

I actually have a list of people to avoid. If you friend me and I don't know you, you're on the list. I don't read any person-on-the-list's comic.

It's annoying as HELL when I get a PQ and it turns out to be some nobody-to-me adding me. I enjoy getting PQs that aren't add messages…

Chernobog
Chernobog
Posted at

No contact, no fav, no spike in reads, no nothing? Not friending. I dislike being spam bombed like that too. So shallow.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Weird. I've never visited someone's comic just because they "friend" me or leave me a comment. Nope. Not once. I usually "friend" people back, because lurkers need friends too, but that has nothing to do with checking out their comic. I've never given it a second thought.

Sometimes, I check out my friends' "recommended," lists and visit the interesting ones there (unless they are also in their "My Comics" list). Oh, and if my comic is among their recommended, I'm more likely to check out both their favorites and their own comics. ;)

Oh, and I do check out the comics of my regular commenters – especially if they make interesting comments and/or their comic looks like the genre and/or art style I'm into. (By regular, I mean, they don't just drop a comment for the purpose of advertising themselves.)

Posted at

Sometimes, I check out my friends' "recommended," lists and visit the interesting ones there (unless they are also in their "My Comics" list). Oh, and if my comic

Agreed I hate when people do that. :P

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I look at people's comics sometimes when they friend me. It happens frequently so I don't check them all, all the time. But if the thumbnail looks cool I'll usually have a glance. Why not? :)

Posted at

I actually have a list of people to avoid. If you friend me and I don't know you, you're on the list. I don't read any person-on-the-list's comic.
You have a list of people to avoid? That sounds obsessively wierd to me: you're going on my list right away!

Posted at

You have a list of people to avoid? That sounds obsessively wierd to me: you're going on my list right away!
:D

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

…even if you do not know them? Because I want to promote my comic, but there isn't much I can do. I looked at a thread asking how to promote a person's comic and a member said they just added 1000 friends. This seems like a good idea but it seems kind of desperate. What do you think?

Whats wrong about making friends?

we all need some love. lol!

Faliat
Faliat
Posted at

There's been two instances in which I've been friended by members whose comics I've already faved.

I have a couple of ideas to try and get my work seen more, but they aren't really priorities considering for some weird reason I'm in the top 2000 stories occasionally with one of mine and it's not got any proper updated pages yet. I think all I really need to do right now is churn out some good quality intros and that ranking will go up.

Though it might have something to do with the fact that two of my comics are the only A-rated manga-esque sci-fi horror stories I can find here.

Maybe I'm filling in a niche? I dunno… But it's none the less amusing.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I just friended everyone I talk too, or whose comic interests me, or who says something I think is funny etc.
So far I've had quite a few people thank me for adding them, so they seemed happy about it.
Also, if someone really doesn't want to be friends (anti-social gits!) they dont have to add me as one of their friends. If anyone was really irritated by it I would take them off if they asked, though it seems a bit unlikely that they would.
The fact is- it's nice to feel popular!

Starbraces
Starbraces
Posted at

You know, I USED to think that adding abunch of people as friends that you didn't know was kinda tasteless. But… who the hell cares? It's online, no one gives a fuck anyhow. At least not me. I let people add me. I see nothing great in it. As long as they don't bitch about "Why didn't you adz me!?!!?????" I'm happy

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Starbraces, based on that last post, I'll add you as my friend!

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

I have never added someone with the intent of spamming or having some one read my comic.
Most of the people I have added, orginally added me.
So I am not going to judge why they added me even if it was in an attempt to read their comic. I will check it out and if seems to appeal to me I'll add it to my favorites to follow.
Otherwise its just an add for a new friend whether there is any merit to that or not.
Its the internet, is there ever any merit?

Agham
Agham
Posted at

Only reasons I'd add someone on my friends list is that:

A- I read their comic, liked it and fav'd it,
B- If some kind of fun interaction happened between us, or
C- They add me first, cuz I don't wanna be rude. I wouldn't like it if the person I add doesn't add me back.

But in all honesty, if it's a "friends" list it should be treated as such, there should be some form of mutual consent that requires both to agree before a person can actually have someone else on their list.
I wouldn't care if you want me on your list, flattering if you ask me, but I should have a say in it, otherwise it can easily be used as an annoying method of publicity.

Tacster002
Tacster002
Posted at

I usually get an impression from people by their page…if they friended me I get excited, but if I look on their page and see thousands of friends…the excitement becomes irritation. less is more, I guess, because when I'm one in a thousand, I feel more like a throwaway number than if I'm one in ten, where I feel like I actually meant something to someone.

I'll generally poke in a friender's comics to see if anything catches my eye, but if nothing does, I'll pass and let them be.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.