Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

okay thanks for clearing that up. That means PW and analytics code will be lost and can't be put back in.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

okay thanks for clearing that up. That means PW and analytics code will be lost and can't be put back in.
No. Only temporarily. You save that stuff and put it in again with Lawrence and Dan finish adding that functionality after launch.

Initially DD should hopefully be a much smoother site, but way better for very amateur, beginner level people to start with.
Advanced users like you and I will be disappointed and stifled. This should change as things go on.
-Though without full HTML, it'll never be fully to our tastes, but then again if you're really advanced, but not lazy (like me) then you self host anyway ^_^

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Me advanced, HAH! I struggle with html but being able to use PW is important. And thanks to quackcasts I started using analytics too and finding that informative.

Posted at

Yeah, although we don't know how long "temporarily" will be, we want them to try and prioritize those little add-in things over whatever other improvements they want to make. People losing their tracking and vote-button add ins and stuff is gonna be a big deal for some people. It's actually unfortunate that we did that stats quackcast now, since when we did it we were working under the idea that the html would transfer over so people should get stats before the changeover. And now they're going to lose them. >:I

smbhax
smbhax
Posted at

Yeah, I don't think they quite understand that the potential for complete customization is what makes people really move in and feel at home at a site like this–take that away and you really *do* start to ask "okay why am I here with a pretty generic layout when I could just go make my own site where I can do anything?–or go to some other hosting site that doesn't have these restrictions?"

Yes, people stick around these community sites for the community, but when everyone's pages look too much alike, there's just a huge loss of personality and creativity everywhere. Many people here (not me, mind you) have invested an incredible amount of time and effort into getting their pages looking just how they wanted them. What's going to be the big incentive to stay after having all that work, and even the functional possibility of replicating it, taken away? (Not to mention, having some of your large comics forcibly resized?) Will the real movers and shakers at DD–those that are left–stick around when reduced to increasingly generic pages?

I worked in the MMORPG industry, and the key lessen to learn there is never, ever to take anything away from your customers: it almost invariably causes your population to drop. I can't help but think that the same will apply here.

(By the way, I've really been enjoying the Quackcasts lately, they're getting better and better. : )

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Many people here (not me, mind you) have invested an incredible amount of time and effort into getting their pages looking just how they wanted them. What's going to be the big incentive to stay after having all that work, and even the functional possibility of replicating it, taken away? (Not to mention, having some of your large comics forcibly resized?)
Yup, That's me to a tee- even with a giant, intentionally huge page that I made to use an "infinite canvas" effect. Exactly these concerns.
I appreciate Lawrence work on rebuilding the site, but removing HTML editing wasn't necessary and could've avoided a lot of work for him an Dan if they'd kept it in. They made a mountain of extra work for themselves.

I will not be able to replicate my template on the DD system as it'll be on changeover. I'll be able to get closer to it on the future version of the template editor, which is much better, but never the full control I have right now.
It may be time to fire up the self hosting for real again and create a much slimmed down, simplified template here on what'll become my DD mirror site.

By the way, I've really been enjoying the Quackcasts lately, they're getting better and better. : )
Thank you very much!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.