Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, that's pretty much how the change is gonna hit us :)

:(

Some things will be grrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeat!
Some things will be shiz, but HOPEFULLY improve later- ie template editing.

-There is NO way to get around or minimize that one. It IS a sticking point, for ME specifically more than anyone else, because I've always had and been very protective of my own template, I've personally edited or created the templates for 10s of users, made two of the most popular template styles for the DD templates, and I've known about Lawrence's plans for this aspect way before anyone else except Skoolmunkee and argued bloody damn hard against them.
SO yeah… Some things will be cool, but on that one I remain to be convinced. I really do.

Posted at

I haven't been a DD member for even one year yet, but I'm already feeling nostalgic for "the old place".

It's like we should be taking a variety of screenshots to remember the family homestead.

Dear god, same here, I'm not at all a 'veteran' user, but I really do feel attached to DD. I will miss the old duck, with its sometimes slow and crappy connection, with its dull grey forums coloured by humourous avatars…

But I am definately looking forward to the changeover. Though, fairly scared too. Nervous, or apprehensive are probably better words, actually. It's kind of like watching a little duckling finally grow up and leave the nest (except, I probably wouldn't have allowed a duckling to get "drunk", that would be unnacceptable!)

I'm definately looking forward to improving the site and putting on my protective glasses so I don't get eye cancer from the garish colour scheme, but hey, I'm willing to do that stuff for the Duck.

And as long as we're using the metaphor of a Car, I'd like to call it the Duckmobile, with 100 quacks to the litre.

Zeph
Zeph
Posted at

Quick Ozone, storm the castle!
I'll get the paper machete soldiers!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm definately looking forward to improving the site and putting on my protective glasses so I don't get eye cancer from the garish colour scheme, but hey, I'm willing to do that stuff for the Duck.

Haha, reminds me of this:

:)
-A song about the immediate future that's right up there with Shiny Shiny for wonderful upbeat sound coupled with a slightly opposite message in the lyrics.

We should all post self pics of ourselves with Sunglasses in the self pic thread in homage to DD's future! B)

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

Oh boy, I wish we could keep this old site, just fix the bugs! D:

But it won't happen. Oh well, time to get out my shades for the new forum…

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I had a dream where I was trapped in some kind of bright, new, shiny place that had the same color scheme as the new site.

It was funny though I didn't like the color scheme because it reminded me of lemon, pistachio, peach Italian ice.

Posted at

We should all post self pics of ourselves with Sunglasses in the self pic thread in homage to DD's future! B)

My god man, THAT'S A BRILLIANT IDEA.

I SHALL FISH OUT MY SUNGLASSES.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I've been seeing the new site in my dreams. not good.

rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

hmmm…

semiflex
semiflex
Posted at

I don't own sunglasses! :(

But I searched for and found a Firefox add-on that changes the colors of websites.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

a Firefox add-on that changes the colors of websites.
why this is Bigger than the discovery of sliced bread!! It's THE better mousetrap!!

you must share and make the need for indoor shades obsolete!!!

semiflex
semiflex
Posted at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/color-that-site/

Works with FF 5.0, and it seems to work with the Duck preview site :D

edit

I can't seem to figure out how to change colors individually… not sure if you can. But you can change the whole palettes of foreground and background separately until you get something that doesn't cause eye aches.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

That would be great if not for the fact I don't use firefox.

Posted at

Whoa! Great find! I'm going to play around with that a bit!!! :o

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

@Genejoke – aka The_Amazing_Mass_O_Pecs

if you like, I could use that image for the radio talents . . .

DaWaterRat
DaWaterRat
Posted at

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/color-that-site/

Works with FF 5.0, and it seems to work with the Duck preview site :D

edit

I can't seem to figure out how to change colors individually… not sure if you can. But you can change the whole palettes of foreground and background separately until you get something that doesn't cause eye aches.

I was playing with it on the preview site when I found it after I saw it reccomended on another site I'm at regularly which just changed it's color scheme.

It might have been a glitch of timing, but it stripped out most background art on the comic pages.

semiflex
semiflex
Posted at

I was playing with it on the preview site when I found it after I saw it reccomended on another site I'm at regularly which just changed it's color scheme.

It might have been a glitch of timing, but it stripped out most background art on the comic pages.

Yeah, I can definitely see it doing that. It turned the little BG pattern on the homepage into a solid color matching the color scheme changes. (Or wait, do you mean the actual art in the comic page, or just the background art of the layout?)

I think there's a way to stop it from attempting to change images. Or either way, there might be a way to set it up so it only changes the homepage and forums, and not comic pages. I'm gonna go mess with it some more and see if I can figure that out.

edit

While changing the colors of a page, in the settings tab there's a FOLDER option– if you use that option and save it for the forums it'll only change the forums and nothing else. No option I've tried on the homepage preserves the comic pages, but that may just be the way the preview site is set up right now.

So at the very least the place where you'll spend most of your time can be edited without harming comic layouts.

Also there's a Chrome extension called Stylebot that seems to let you change color schemes, for the Google users.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

In the last stretch now. So what can we expect?

Posted at

I keep waiting for them to do this announcement… maybe they're waiting to see if the data migration will be done on time, that's always taken longer than they expected before.

Anyway the main things will be:
If you have side pages (where you've uploaded the HTML file yourself), make sure you have a copy of that html code. You'll be able to remake it on the new site with some copy/pasting, but for whatever reason it won't carry itself over. Also, expect to have to rebuild your custom comic page HTML on the new site (and probably with only limited capability, whatever's there on the preview site now). Everything else is more or less functional and should carry over. They'll lock down the old site (viewing only, no ability to log in or make any changes) over the weekend and at some point early next week the preview site will take over the main URL and the old site will be temporarily moved to a subdomain (but I think you still won't be able to log into it).

Posted at

I keep waiting for them to do this announcement… maybe they're waiting to see if the data migration will be done on time, that's always taken longer than they expected before.

Anyway the main things will be:
If you have side pages (where you've uploaded the HTML file yourself), make sure you have a copy of that html code. You'll be able to remake it on the new site with some copy/pasting, but for whatever reason it won't carry itself over. Also, expect to have to rebuild your custom comic page HTML on the new site (and probably with only limited capability, whatever's there on the preview site now). Everything else is more or less functional and should carry over. They'll lock down the old site (viewing only, no ability to log in or make any changes) over the weekend and at some point early next week the preview site will take over the main URL and the old site will be temporarily moved to a subdomain (but I think you still won't be able to log into it).
That's how you do it?

…argh…

But you might want to have them make a big button about that as people don't really pay attention to the news…

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

If you have side pages (where you've uploaded the HTML file yourself), make sure you have a copy of that html code. You'll be able to remake it on the new site with some copy/pasting, but for whatever reason it won't carry itself over. Also, expect to have to rebuild your custom comic page HTML on the new site (and probably with only limited capability, whatever's there on the preview site now).

Reading the post it sounds like that (copying the html code) would be a pointless exercise as there will be no way to use html but only the customization tools provided. The phases that tools are provided doesn't bother me but it seems they are going back on things they assured people of not too long ago. Please correct me if I read it wrong but it sounds as though it's going to piss a lot of people off.

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

Things are a little confused: Is the site being disabled today (June 30th) or tomorrow (July 1st)?

There is no June 31st :/

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

on the 1st. :)

Please correct me if I read it wrong but it sounds as though it's going to piss a lot of people off.
Oh yeah. I'm already PO'ed with it. Supremely.

But it's not flakiness, back-flipping or prevarication- It's basically Lawrence giving an estimate of what he thought he was capable of at the time, but as the dates have gotten closer he's had to revise things. He's tried and tried, but that's what we're left with.

Gunwallace
Gunwallace
Posted at

There is no June 31st :/

Or is there?

It's a conspiracy, I tells ya. They want us all to work extra days without pay, so they're sneaking extra days at the end of the month … just wait for February the 30th, it's coming, it's coming soon.

The Duck is part of the conspiracy, man. The sobered him up and now he's all like, stone-cold awake and helping THE MAN run the world.

End days people. The end days are here and The Duck is in control. It's all happening now, man … there's nothing you can do but wait!

Posted at

If you have side pages (where you've uploaded the HTML file yourself), make sure you have a copy of that html code. You'll be able to remake it on the new site with some copy/pasting, but for whatever reason it won't carry itself over. Also, expect to have to rebuild your custom comic page HTML on the new site (and probably with only limited capability, whatever's there on the preview site now).

Reading the post it sounds like that (copying the html code) would be a pointless exercise as there will be no way to use html but only the customization tools provided. The phases that tools are provided doesn't bother me but it seems they are going back on things they assured people of not too long ago. Please correct me if I read it wrong but it sounds as though it's going to piss a lot of people off.

Your main comic page with the comic images on = have to be rebuilt using the in-house tool with no custom HTML
Your side pages like Characters or whatever = have to be remade but you will be able to copy/paste in html code for them

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.