Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Yep, and then you were caught in a hail of dodgeballs. It still cracks me up.

Byndris
Byndris
Posted at

This is you Mettaur

Posted at

fifl
I dont know what that means!
Which is exactly why I'm forgiving you. That's a word you only use if you're looking for a fight, where I'm from. Also, it should be written with an accent, like this: "fífl".

Basically it means an idiot. Sure that type of curse words don't mean much in the states but insults that belittle someones intelligence are serious business in Iceland. We don't have many crude curse words like "f*ck" and "sh*t" and "c*nt" and such but we have allot of curses that are genuine cursed words. "Helvítis Andskoti þinn" = "You devilish hell spawn"

Learning cultures is fun ^^

same
same
Posted at

fifl
Which is exactly why I'm forgiving you. That's a word you only use if you're looking for a fight, where I'm from. Also, it should be written with an accent, like this: "fífl".

Basically it means an idiot. Sure that type of curse words don't mean much in the states but insults that belittle someones intelligence are serious business in Iceland. We don't have many crude curse words like "f*ck" and "sh*t" and "c*nt" and such but we have allot of curses that are genuine cursed words. "Helvítis Andskoti þinn" = "You devilish hell spawn"

Cause knowlege is power

Also in northern ireland it takes a lot to insult someone. Idiot is usually a greating here lol!.

Byndris
Byndris
Posted at

Mettaur, want some tasty
Pie?

Posted at

fifl

Cause knowlege is power

Also in northern ireland it takes a lot to insult someone. Idiot is usually a greating here lol!.
Bah! Here in Canada its too easy to piss people off. With all the cultures we got mixing about, you can hardly do anything without someone taking offense. If you wanna piss someone off, all you gotta do is be mildly impolite. Hell I almost got in a fight cause I didn't hold the door.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

I heard people get offended up there if ya can't speak both of the languages, french and english, is that true?

Posted at

Idiot is usually a greating here lol!.
You devilish hell spawn, you lol!.

You can curse and insult and usually it's taken as light humor but words like "hálfviti (half-wit)", "asni (jackass)" or "fáviti (idiot)" are conversation stoppers. Even mild words like "kjáni (silly person)" can cause a stern look. Idiocy and low education is particularly frowned upon and there are lots of complaints about negative stigma towards mentally disabled and clinically insane. "You're not right in the head" is without doubt the ultimate insult in Iceland.

Byndris
Byndris
Posted at

Mentally disable, insane… SOUNDS JUST LIKE ME!:)

Posted at

Idiocy and low education is particularly frowned upon and there are lots of complaints about negative stigma towards mentally disabled and clinically insane. "You're not right in the head" is without doubt the ultimate insult in Iceland.
That's a likable trait for a country! Education and literacy are taken so lightly here, as though it's cool and amusing to be ignorant and weird to be erudite and well-read. It should be a matter of shame if ignorance is willfully chosen. >:|

rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

hm. nj is a pretty weird place so sometimes it's okay to insult and other times its really not. in my group of friends it sounds like we're going to kill each other and that we hate each other when its really the complete opposite. as we put it we're nice behind each others backs. and most of the people i've ever met we've agreed that we're all crazy, insane, or deranged.

also, the best people were never really 'right in the head' anyway.

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

Here in Nc, being a funny idiot is sometimes aspired by residents of the state. But it's also good to be smart, as long as you aren't some jerk about it.

Posted at

It should be a matter of shame if ignorance is willfully chosen. >:|
It is where I live :P If you don't have at least a high school graduation equivalent, you're nothing.
also, the best people were never really 'right in the head' anyway.
Well… there's a difference between eccentricity and idiocy or other mental problems. You can be quirky but if you're receiving social benefits because you're clinically depressed or bi-polar, you stand to face allot of stigma from the public. In the eyes of many people, you need to be physically missing a limb to qualify as a disabled person. They're used to hearing words like "There's nothing wrong with you!" or "Get your act together!". There's been allot of movements to raise awareness for people with Downs or mental retardation and that seems to have payed off. I myself claim to be more open minded yet I can't help feeling irritated whenever I deal with someone "special". Old anti-idiocy programming, I suppose. I'm actually quite ashamed of it.

Zeph
Zeph
Posted at

Insanity is merely a gift the sane can't handle.- Depending on the degree of insanity, and type. Homocidally Insane is bad, where as comically insane (Like a comedian) is fun.

Edit: Roku's cuteness factor decreased slightly with teh murderous intent. <_<

Posted at

But it's also good to be smart, as long as you aren't some jerk about it.
I love egocentric jerks, but only if they're actually as smart as they act. It's got to take a lot of heart to be that self-assured…
No, it can only increase! Now every cupcake will be spiced with DANGER O_O

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

There's several sites out there dedicated to the stupidity of the general population, I didn't believe most of it, until I got to college. Nothing like getting out of your car after a delivery run and having a drunk girl ask if you had free sandwiches, then free chips after telling her no. I wish I was making this up.

rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

this… is fantastic idea- henceforth i'm renaming cupcakes dangercakes for the noir game! besides it only sounds like murderous intent. it doesn't look, nor smell of it therefore can not be and even more since it isn't.

You can be quirky but if you're receiving social benefits because you're clinically depressed or bi-polar, you stand to face allot of stigma from the public. In the eyes of many people, you need to be physically missing a limb to qualify as a disabled person. They're used to hearing words like "There's nothing wrong with you!" or "Get your act together!". There's been allot of movements to raise awareness for people with Downs or mental retardation and that seems to have payed off. I myself claim to be more open minded yet I can't help feeling irritated whenever I deal with someone "special". Old anti-idiocy programming, I suppose. I'm actually quite ashamed of it.

my brother is autistic so i am very very used to people with special needs in the PDD spectrum, as well as downs, and a little bit with mental retardation. and you aren't alone with being irritated- a lot people are, partly because there is a different mindset to handling special needs and also most people nowadays aren't very patient. it's like who know that it's hard for them but you don't understand so you can't tolerant as well. i see it a lot.

as for mental illnesses… i have major anxiety disorder, slight OCD, and the occasional major depression. my body will shut down the use of my legs so i can have an anxiety attack sometimes, i don't feel hunger almost ever because of redirecting resources, and other completely random stuff. i have been told that there's nothing wrong with me too. it's interesting how your country in theory punishes ignorance so much when it's also so ignorant like the rest of us. a smart person is one who can see with their own eyes the world around them and know that they really know nothing and want to know more.

Posted at

this… is fantastic idea- henceforth i'm renaming cupcakes dangercakes for the noir game! besides it only sounds like murderous intent. it doesn't look, nor smell of it therefore can not be and even more since it isn't.

I challenge you to draw this. Im bored, and I'm sure we can all use a little Roku art at the moment. :p

Also, I think we need to have a new rule as to how long a new gm has to start the game. I for one think that if Kroatz knew he wouldn't be around to gm for a while, he should have not ran at all instead of making us wait for him to get back. Just my opinion.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Im having a problem were my brain shuts down when i try to do work.

What brain? Lol.

Game thread is up, I'll PQ roles ASAP, they've been assigned already but I really gotta get goi…
*Runs into the college classroom, all ready for the most important test in his life*

Mettaur
Mettaur
Posted at

But it's also good to be smart, as long as you aren't some jerk about it.
I love egocentric jerks, but only if they're actually as smart as they act. It's got to take a lot of heart to be that self-assured…
Well, that can be even worse, acting smart and not being smart. Me and Paul just proved how much of an idiot, and a douche this JAson guy was at lunch. HE was trying to be cool, knowing what we were talking about, so I said,"You don't even watch Deadliest Warriors! I don't believe you saw it."
"Aw, yeah! Of course I did, you think I'm stupid or something?"
"Then where are the SS from?"
"…"
(A full minute passes)
"Okay, the SS-"
"Wait Paul, lets give him more time."
(5 Min passes)
"Should I tell him Paul?"
"Okay, you can tell him now."
"The SS were from WWII, ya douche!"
"Yeah, I knew that! I just didn't tell you because I couldn't remember at the time!"
And I just couldn't let him get away with this idiocy, so I said,"So, you know about the SS?"
"YEah, like, tons!"
"Okay then, what were the SS before they were a fighting force?"
"…"
"Okay Paul, we'll give him till the end of lunch."
(17 Min passes)
(Lunch Bell rings, signaling beginning of class.)
"Should I tell him now Paul?"
"Yes, you should."
And I yell over the babbling crowd so our table can hear,"The SS were HItlers elite bodyguard, and don't say you knew that! We gave you almost twenty minutes!"
And the WWII geek of the table, and actually history of, well, any conflict ever expert of our table did a facepalm. Yes, Peter did a facepalm.

So, have I explained how idiocy and smartness works in NC?

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

So, have I explained how idiocy and smartness works in NC?

I think it's sad that all you know about the SS comes from a stupid television program. General knowledge about both world wars is way too low among americans. And even here in the Netherlands people tend to know little about it…

Television makes people dumb, read a fucking book for a change. (No offence intended, I just think the average intelligence would be higher if people read instead of relying on government funded television programs…)

Posted at

partly because there is a different mindset to handling special needs and also most people nowadays aren't very patient.
Maybe that's it. I don't think my society is very patient in general.

Autism is an interesting condition. From what I know of it, the subject needs precise order and repetition in his day to day life or else he might becomes very upset. In some rare cases, one particular part of the brain becomes so supercharged that he gains inhuman intelligence in that one particular field. It usually has something to do with math, thus causing them to become nothing short of a living calculator.

it's interesting how your country in theory punishes ignorance so much when it's also so ignorant like the rest of us.
People can often become so certain on their convictions that they become blinded by it. It usually has something to do with how productive you are to the society. If you're not contributing enough, you get the stern "what's wrong with you" look. Physically handicapped are respected though because they are taught to be as self sufficient as humanly possible and thus people know that they strive to their limits like everyone else does. Since people with mental problems don't look disabled on the surfaced, bigotry towards them is born. Like I previously said though because of increased awareness there's thankfully more tolerance towards mentally handicapped now but we still have a long way to go. You should have heard my viewpoints on the subject when I was a kid. You probably would not have liked me very much back then. :(
SS
Behold! The true face of SS!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.