Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

partly because there is a different mindset to handling special needs and also most people nowadays aren't very patient.
Maybe that's it. I don't think my society is very patient in general.

Autism is an interesting condition. From what I know of it, the subject needs precise order and repetition in his day to day life or else he might becomes very upset. In some rare cases, one particular part of the brain becomes so supercharged that he gains inhuman intelligence in that one particular field. It usually has something to do with math, thus causing them to become nothing short of a living calculator.

hehehe, sorry. autism IS a very interesting condition but it's interesting because of how it can vary. PDD (pervasive developmental disorder) is broken into 3 main areas- aspergers (they often have a subject in which they immerse themselves in completely so that might be to what you're refering to (i know one kid who is like a living gps, but the subject can be anything from neurology to dinosaurs to videogames)), autism (this is the most intense on the PDD scale, autistic kid often lack social skills from speech to emotional understanding), and PDD-NOS(not otherwise specified) (this has the widest range of problems varying from nearly autistic to fairly 'normal' ). often the subject needs order because that is what they have learned and if the conditions are all there then they do not understand why it would change. x + y will ALWAYS equal z. if you add a + x + y it will still equal z. if x or y is missing then it becomes easier to change. every PDD is different- theres a list of condintions and you might match some of them and not others(if you match all it's the highest level autisim). depending on what you match is how you are labeled.

this is all a very simpified statement and really doesn't cover much at all but it's hopefully more enlightening. it sounds like you have most of your understanding from that movie 'rainman', which is a very good movie that does show realistic autisim in one particular case. but it still cracks me up because this is what most people latch on to when they think autisim.

You should have heard my viewpoints on the subject when I was a kid. You probably would not have liked me very much back then. :(

yeah, but i like you now so it's all good. it's more important to grow and have better understanding then be stuck on how much people messed up when they were kids. for the most part we're all still kids.

Posted at

It sounds like you have most of your understanding from that movie 'rainman', which is a very good movie that does show realistic autisim in one particular case. but it still cracks me up because this is what most people latch on to when they think autisim.
I haven't actually seen Rainman but I'm aware of the story and I heard it's supposed to be based on a real person (I did see Unbreakable, though).

There's this one autistic guy who was given a radio show few years back and he has the ability to state which day of the week a certain day was. Ask "September 24th 1918" and he'll say "Tuesday". There was also this interview with a man named Daniel Tammet, that I saw few years back. He had a very special case of autism that could only be described as "having all the benefits without the drawbacks". He could speak over dozen languages and was challenged to learn Icelandic and show up for an interview the very next week. An interview that happened to be in Icelandic. He passed with flying colors. That's downright impressive in my book.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

It sounds like you have most of your understanding from that movie 'rainman', which is a very good movie that does show realistic autisim in one particular case. but it still cracks me up because this is what most people latch on to when they think autisim.
I haven't actually seen Rainman but I'm aware of the story and I heard it's supposed to be based on a real person (I did see Unbreakable, though).

There's this one autistic guy who was given a radio show few years back and he has the ability to state which day of the week a certain day was. Ask "September 24th 1918" and he'll say "Tuesday". There was also this interview with a man named Daniel Tammet, that I saw few years back. He had a very special case of autism that could only be described as "having all the benefits without the drawbacks". He could speak over dozen languages and was challenged to learn Icelandic and show up for an interview the very next week. An interview that happened to be in Icelandic. He passed with flying colors. That's downright impressive in my book.
I've seen videos of this artist who can memorize entire cities when he flies over them just once.

He's drawn entire cities with crazy accuracy from memory. I think he's british.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.