Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Personally, I think Coveinant is a bit insane… nerves don't control emotion. He says some very mad things

While that is technically true, I'm sure you'll agree that pain can cause irritability.

look at Gregory House. he acts like a bastard all the time because of chronic leg pain.

Posted at

… My head hurts more now. Damn I hate getting up as 5 am and then Have a class that starts at 6 to 10 pm… I think that's why I have one…

suzi
suzi
Posted at

Okay, people. I'm in a neuroscience class and a lot of things you're saying are giving ME a migraine, haha :p

Migraines can be SET OFF by things connected to mood such as hormonal fluctuations (my mom used to get them in time with her menstrual cycle) and stress. The migraine itself doesn't affect your limbic cortex directly (that's where emotions happen, not the frontal lobes. That's where your logic center, and theoretically your consciousness–not emotion) but it DOES affect seratonin distribution throughout your entire brain (which effects activity, motivation, etc), and the swelling/pulsing/pain feeling comes from sporadic nerve activity making its way to the meninges (layers of fleshy stuff between the skull and the brain.) Your brain itself doesn't have pain receptors, that only happens once the meninges (and in some cases the lower brain stem/spinal cord which can lead to face and neck pain).

I've heard people refer to migraines as small seizures because of the random activation of uncontrollable firing, but I can't find anything right now that supports that.

MAH MOMMA TAKES XANAX FER 'EM.

suzi
suzi
Posted at

Oh, and of course nerves control emotion – the whole brain is nerves!

But nerves do not equal pain pathways.

Coveinant
Coveinant
Posted at

Ok, have you heard of a progressive migrane? I get those about twice a week. (and if you don't know it's a migrane that starts in one area and travels all over the brain)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

To be fair Suzi, regarding nerves, we're talking about things peripheral to the brain… Perhaps that's not part of a strict biological definition, but it's part of common meaning and in the context of what we've said and especially given your excellent technical description of the migraine process, we can say that "nerves" (as Coveinant described them), aren't affecting emotion.

Apart from the serotonin.

But then, migraines aren't that clearly understood, even now. And what can work for one person, doesn't always work for another…

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

But then, migraines aren't that clearly understood, even now. And what can work for one person, doesn't always work for another…
I've had no luck with any prescription drugs my doctors have tried with me. (I've had every kind of pill, nasal spray, and injection that I can think of.) ; ; It's just frustrating. All I can do is wait them out and avoid any attempts at communication until my brain fixes itself.

imshard
imshard
Posted at

I dont get migraines anymore because the doctor gave me meds to deaden my nerves. (chronic pain from multiple major injuries, if you must know)
I don't get hot or cold anymore either!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Waiting them out is really the most sure fire way I find, and if you can get something to help you relax and sleep though them, then you're set. The good thing about them is that they tend to run for a set time and you can sleep though most of the pain period and wake up at the end without experiencing much of it. :)

GETTING knocked out to start with is the hard part… I've heard that historically, when people didn't have access to narcotic, the only real treatment was to get extremely drunk. I take 2 capsules that contain 8mg Codeine Phosphate, 5mg Doxylamine Succinate and 500mg Paracetamol each…

The Codeine/Paracetamol is only a mild pain killer really, and even pills with 30mg of Codeine in each aren't much more effective than 8mg, but they have the added disadvantage of causing a reaction that increases pain if you take them too regularly. Anyway, it's a mild pain killer that may or may not work, while the Doxylamine Succinate makes you more relaxed and sleepy, so that's the best thing. ^_^

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

So I guess you could say there are nerves that control my emotion on every inch of my body.

*giggle*
me too!

sorry I tend to read things out of context!

as to why someone gets migranes.
Karma?

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Bah! Migraines. I think my fellow ladies will agree when I say PMS is much worse. It's shattered many of my relationships. When you try to explain to a guy that PMS is making you bitchy, they laugh and walk away. And the shitty thing is, they say there is no cure for it, except for "getting plenty of excercise and taking vitamins."

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

lol! I think they're a bit different… really… I mean, not that I have PMS and can say, buuuut, migraine can be more frequent, longer lasting, and even women who've them (the severe ones) describe them as being the worst pain ever. Those two people I know who need morphine injections for them are women, now in their late 50's.

Hahaha, but it depends on your own experience of those things. Like everything…

…for a lot of women the pill puts a big damper on PMS. Can even sort out their migraines! (when that's a related problem).

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

…for a lot of women the pill puts a big damper on PMS. Can even sort out their migraines! (when that's a related problem).

I was taking the pill for acne at one time, and after awhile it actually made me suicidal. I tried to kill myself three times! They had to take me off of it. It was one of the darkest times of my life. Once I got off of it, it was like a huge weight off of my shoulders, like the sun breaking through the clouds.

Now I'm, like, happy all the time. It's kinda creepy. 8D

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

I like pie. (whoah, deja vu…)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I know. And you can eat that on your own :P
…it's smelly…
Plus, it gives me a headache.

blu
blu
Posted at

its really hard to determine the vague differences between a migraine and a mere stress headache for me.

last year i dunno which one of those it was, but my ears felt like i needed to pop them all the time and there was tons of pressure in my head, and sound hurt me and light hurt me so all i could do was lay on my bed in the dark for three days until it went away. :(

it may just be me, but i feel that migraines are definitely worse than PMS, at least a body can still function properly during those crabby crampy days. XP

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

it may just be me, but i feel that migraines are definitely worse than PMS, at least a body can still function properly during those crabby crampy days. XP

I think that depends how bad your PMS and period pain is. I'm fairly lucky (on the PMS and the migraine fronts - the former is very mild for me, and the latter I never get)… but my sister has such bad time-of-the-month cramps she's stuck in bed for a couple of days with a hot water bottle, doubled over in pain, unable to do anything but moan and occasionally drink a cup of tea. And yeah, it's treatable with certain drugs, but most migraines are too, or so I hear.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

I usually get both at the same time or right in succession. With a migraine, I stumble around unable to feel my left side or think straight, while the world is spinning around me and my head feels like it will explode – and I hope it would to relieve the pressure. Cramps put me in a fetal position unable to stand up, feeling like I'm continually being stabbed in the gut.

Oh gee, I don't think I could pick a winner in that little contest…

But the migraines started first and will probably last longer – and don't always follow a schedule, so in the end, they probably trump PMS. Besides, both make me want to scream, but with a migraine, the scream backfires and hurts me more. At least with PMS, I can make everyone else miserable too.

Coveinant
Coveinant
Posted at

Ok, have you heard of a progressive migrane? I get those about twice a week. (and if you don't know it's a migrane that starts in one area and travels all over the brain)

seriously, when I get these, I'm pretty much paralyzed by the shere pain. so ya, I've had every type of migrane at once (I feel asleep during the last one, so it was not as painful but they usually happen during school).

Rutger
Rutger
Posted at

I feel so sorry for you. Honestly, I do. The pain you must endure on a daily basis is enough to drive a moose to suicide.

I myself have never had migraines. Some bad headaches, sure, but nothign qualifying as a migraine. But I'm sure I'll get them eventually, since you've had them ever since you were ten years old.

Boy, I can't wait.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

you all give me a headache. get it through your heads, I'd rather die than act like a fool.

Um…

Nevermind.

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

Reading this thread made my head somewhat spacey.. Maybe several of my brain cells died?

I get migraines every months, probaly related with hormone cycle and I know that migraine is heritary in my family. Lots of my relatives have them… But you know, as I discover that while I'm pregant (6 months now) not one migraine have occured in 4 months. I'm pretty tickled about this, but I'm dreading the time when the baby comes out my body goes back to normal.
When I first became pregant, I had one hell of a muthafuka migraine… I was sick for 24 hours, constantly vomiting and had to stay in the bathtub in a total darkness with intese pain… Like someone was drilling into my skull. I COULDNT SLEEP. Pills were worthless (of course, couldnt keep them down).

So… I dread Feburary.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I had one hell of a muthafuka migraine… I was sick for 24 hours, constantly vomiting and had to stay in the bathtub in a total darkness with intese pain… Like someone was drilling into my skull. I COULDNT SLEEP. Pills were worthless (of course, couldnt keep them down).
Yep, I've had those. Almost drive you to suicide…

From what I've read though, for a lot of women that have them, they can often completely go away after you have kids. ^_^
Congrats on having a baby Memmy! :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.