Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
reconjsh
reconjsh
Posted at

Two things about this are bugging me in particular. Maybe I'm out of line for saying so, but I'm going to because I really love DD.

1) I understand there's bills to pay. I do. But, I don't like that it's the regular comic author that has to take such a big hit. And I think we are. I don't like it looking like I'm endorsing certain ads/comics - which it does. It definitely does. The placement is really, really bad… and I'd go so far as to call it "shameless". And this might be going too far, but I have to wonder about why I have to take this hit. I loved that I could make my page "my own" and it felt like I had my very own website, complete with a short link to my comic and my own design touch. I think this recent change spoils that to some degree. Maybe to a very minor degree to some and more so for others, but it does.

I wonder: where's the line if not here? You guys treat us great… (recalls story about Plat and DD taking all the Philly comic con folks out to bowling and more on someone's dime… probably Plat's, but possibly Volte's or someone else's)… but perhaps you under estimate the potential upsetting your user-base has. Maybe not… you guys do pretty well and so what if a few people are put off. I'd like to believe this is not true.

2) I also have to wonder that if it IS about money, why are there advertisments that link me to comics WITHIN Drunkduck? I understand that a redirected viewer may discover a popular comic like Watchdogs or Hero By Night (both great comics) and that may generate some sort of increased fanbase which in turn links in to increased print comic and merchandising revenue for DD… but seriously, how inredibly marginal will that be? It may be worth the cost of muddying up the middle of profiles and comic templates, but I serious doubt that to be true.

Ultimately, I know that my opinions have little sway over what occurs here, but I'd like to tell you that I'm disappointed in this recent change and I hope that THIS is the line.

Thanks for your time,
~Jerome~

EDIT: to restate… my beef is with placement, not the advertisement itself.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Platinum treats DrunkDuck with the same importance as anything else they have going on, if not more. They really believe in web comics, and know DrunkDuck can be bigger and better than any web comic community has become yet.

They put more money into DrunkDuck in a given month than I suspect any other web comic community does in many times as long.

Posted at

I don't see any ads.

(Neither would you with the right firefox plugins.) ^__-

Well, let's just hope it doesn't become as bad as say… Flashkit.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Well I think this is the prime quote that needs responding…

2) I also have to wonder that if it IS about money, why are there advertisments that link me to comics WITHIN Drunkduck? I understand that a redirected viewer may discover a popular comic like Watchdogs or Hero By Night (both great comics) and that may generate some sort of increased fanbase which in turn links in to increased print comic and merchandising revenue for DD… but seriously, how inredibly marginal will that be? It may be worth the cost of muddying up the middle of profiles and comic templates, but I serious doubt that to be true.

We are manually selling our ad space, which means we GO TO ADVERTISERS and talk to them about advertising on DrunkDuck. Up until today we did not have that ad spot to sell, which means we have not got anything to put in that spot other than your standard ad networks (omaha steaks anyone? ). So as a compromise the plan has been to run internal ads in the meantime, allowing us to have an ad spot to demo.

On top of that, we have been trying to work out a system to set aside a percentage of ad impressions to run anybody on DrunkDUck's own personal ads in that slot. In this way we hope to also benefit the community.

Posted at

Well, this is just a suggestion, and certainly not a business-savvy one or anything, but maybe if the authors of the comics got a small(very small) cut of the money generated by the ads? I don't know how the system works, but if someone's making money off of the ads on their page, and you still get the majority of the profit(enough to cover costs).

If the amount is by pageviews, then people (if they're getting a cut) would be working even harder to generate more pageviews, to draw people into the site, so that would mean an even larger revenue for you in the end. I believe that's how Helium works.

It's just a suggestion, and like I said, I don't know how the system works. It doesn't bug me as much, this new ad placement. If you can set up a pay-account system, too, that should help.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

umm… The profile ones are fine, and everywhere else, we can live with those. But inside the comic template instead of at the top or bottom or sides is just too far. No other host has a scheme that intrusive that I've seen.

A voluntary column add like Keen used to have would be OK… :(

Posted at

Livejournal do something interesting, too. They have the basic option- no ads, no extras, and then their paid membership, with all the extras… and then the third option, where you agree to display ads in return for SOME of the extras.

I think that's pretty cool.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I would say that even the adds that were between comments (when that was experimented with) were less worrisome to comic makers than adds right underneath their comics. Personally I find it intrusive and quite disappointing. :(

Posted at

I am just peeved about the placement also…It isn't even centered and is really an eyesore on our main, Marital Bliss??? page, I mean it really throws off the design and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I also know what you mean and completely agree about it seeming like you are endorsing a particular comic by having it in your comic template.

(Does Gods of the Arrr-whatever own your souls or something…I'm sure the people that make it are very fine folks, it's just not my cup of java…and their ads are everywhere on this site and it bugs me that they have been the only "featured" Creator Interview on the "News" tab since I got here…) Just threw that out there since it's kinda' relevant.

Obviously, the placement within the "creative space" is causin' quite the ruckus. If we all voice our hesitations and disappointment over the level of selloutyness, maybe they'll let the ginormous ones at the top and bottom serve as adequate…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Regarding "The Gods of ArrKelaan" maritalbliss; they are a founding comic on Drunk Duck and are entitled to some free advertising and featuring. :)
In this case though, GOA, Kiss, Wtachdogs, HBN and adds for any other comic that come up are only being used for testing purposes.

I think we're pretty united in our disapproval (as active comic creators) and as long as it continues to be voiced in such a calm and polite manner such as this it's fine. Whether anything comes of such protest is yet to be seen, but if people's feelings are made clear in a non-confrontational way this thread will be ok :)

herio
herio
Posted at

Too bad there's no edit button.

We need more degrading ads.
round

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

A very creative protest. ^_^
This is fine so far but will be locked if it gets too silly or obnoxious ok?
So no more image protests for now.

Just register your thoughts on the subject and this can be a good forum for gauging DD comic creator's views on the matter.

I'm sorry Volte, I love DD a LOT, but not this particular instance. I hope you understand. :(

marine
marine
Posted at

I for one DO want ads everywhere. The ads are wonderful and I wish we had even more!

Platinum Studios and Drunk Duck forever! yay!

Glarg
Glarg
Posted at

At least give us the option to erase the adds from our comics through the HTML format.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

(Does Gods of the Arrr-whatever own your souls or something…I'm sure the people that make it are very fine folks, it's just not my cup of java…and their ads are everywhere on this site and it bugs me that they have been the only "featured" Creator Interview on the "News" tab since I got here…) Just threw that out there since it's kinda' relevant.
People that know us know that we are extremely conflicted and hesitant to say anything, because DD has been awesome enough to place ads for us but at the same time we do not feel that it's the right place for an ad either. You're right, it looks like you endorse whatever is down there.

At the same time I also aknowledge that DD is a free hosting site that does stuff that no other hosting site will do for you, such as reserve tables at WW for any DD artist that wanted one. That cost DD thousands of dollars, I would imagine. Try to get that from Comic Genesis, Comic Dish, or Smackjeeves.

I wonder if an ad in the comments area would be a good compromise, rather than right under the comic image. I mean, we all read the comments all the time. I think if it was there, there would be at least a little less intrusion. Plus, it would probably get MORE views, because people always go back to look at the comments.

And for the record, the Creator interview is broken and stuck on Ronson. Not our fault. ;)

Posted at

At the same time I also aknowledge that DD is a free hosting site that does stuff that no other hosting site will do for you, such as reserve tables at WW for any DD artist that wanted one. That cost DD thousands of dollars, I would imagine. Try to get that from Comic Genesis, Comic Dish, or Smackjeeves.

As the owner of Comic Dish, I can definitely back SpANG up on this statement :) DD is the only one that makes enough money to do anything like this, and this is a huge thing. That's why I encourage people to voice their concerns, but see how it goes. Volte's doing this all for the people here, so give it a chance :)

Posted at

Yeah, I agree with what pretty much everyone else is saying. I have no problem with advertisements on the site, I know that DD has to pay for itself somehow - that's fine! The ones on the search and browse, front page, profiles, and top and bottom of the comic pages? I have absolutely no problem with those. The one that's right underneath my comic, breaking up my comic and my next/previous buttons and making it look like I personally chose to put it there? I have a problem with that one.

If it absolutely has to be on the page, I would even be happier if it was moved down under the creator comments area. I don't like to have things flashing and blinking at me when I'm trying to look at a comic. It's extremely distracting.

Volte6
Volte6
Posted at

Okay everyone… I totally understand your viewpoints on this. I'm going to spend a little time processing all of this and try to think of some compromises.

ZeroVX
ZeroVX
Posted at

I can handle putting up ads on the front page. I'm used to that. What I don't like is the ads on my profile page.

If you're going to do that, you could at least have the courtesy to ask.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What I don't like is the ads on my profile page..
Profile pages aren't the same thing Zero. The add isn't as intrusive there, the whole feature is more recent, no users design those layouts for themselves, and people don't go there to see creator content.

Good on you Volte. I hope something better can be sorted out :)

Posted at

I can handle putting up ads on the front page. I'm used to that. What I don't like is the ads on my profile page.

If you're going to do that, you could at least have the courtesy to ask.

I don't see the big deal about the one on the profile page, but maybe that's just because I never look at profile pages, ever. As far as I can see, it goes under the description and it's on top of the currently non-functioning trophies. Like OO said, you have no real say over the design of your profile page, you can't alter how it's laid out, so it's not as personalized as a comic page is.

Actually, looking at it right now, I think it's one of the better placed ads that are currently floating around the site. It doesn't look completely out of place because it's not pushing content around.

And thanks, Volte. I hope something gets worked out. :kitty:

madscott
madscott
Posted at

Okay everyone… I totally understand your viewpoints on this. I'm going to spend a little time processing all of this and try to think of some compromises.

I would like to just suggest that if the ad has to be under the comic (because that is the sweet spot) AT THE LEAST ad something that identifies it as being a DD ad and not a ad that the comic owner placed there.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

Just avoid pop-up ads and I'll still be happy. XP
….mmh, probably.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.