Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I would say that there might be more restrictions on content like that if we do wider distribution. Probably nothing much worse than PG13 or so. Possibly PG. But that's all guesswork, and it could go in completely the other direction.

…or maybe a "Duck after Dark" anthology. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

"DD Black Label ", it comes hand delivered to your door in a brown paper bag.

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

I'm a bit wary of the whole "parody" idea. Sure, the "filtering" process may help a bit, but I still wouldn't trust most people's definition of "parody." I can see that getting extremely messy. (Although I do believe theRedDeath from Bad Guy High is the master at parody…at least in the superhero genre.)

How do you get into these books anyways? I vaguely hear something about submissions, but who are the guys actually doing the selecting? Just making sure if there are politics and popularity involved in it or not, since there are a good many talented artists who aren't that popular here on DD. Could the underdog have a chance?

Knuckles
Knuckles
Posted at

It's usually chosen by the DD staff, and no it's not based on popularity or favoritism. The staff receives a bunch of entries and choose them based on a number of things. But being that this is printed in stores, they try to choose those who produce good-quality artwork (in other words, no sprite comics or anything similar). And usually, they try to pick a new crew of artists for each book they do so everyone gets a chance at being in the spotlight. Each book has a different theme to it, so it caters to everyone's speciality which gives new people a shot.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

I like the "Duck and Cover" name, but what would it be about?
A big ol' fight?

Or maybe parody. Since there are musical "covers" of other songs, we could do an entire book around parody.
Well, a cover is not necessarily a parody. What if it was a story swap book, like if each artist did a ten page story of someone else's comic? It might be more work than it's worth, but it's kind of a neat idea.
I would say that there might be more restrictions on content like that if we do wider distribution. Probably nothing much worse than PG13 or so. Possibly PG. But that's all guesswork, and it could go in completely the other direction.

Now you're talkin'! If you ever decide to do a book like that, don't you dare do it without me!

Rich
Rich
Posted at

I like the "Duck and Cover" name, but what would it be about?

How about parodies of war? It is a topical theme. It can be done respectfully. And we all know about it. After all, who could forget the classic "Duck and Cover" WWII wartime propaganda?

Posted at

If we take the musical idea of a cover, that's someone taking an old song and remaking it, etc.

So "duck and cover" could perhaps be full of "retold" stories, like a Star Wars parody, a retelling of a fable, a song done in comic form…

Posted at

But being that this is printed in stores, they try to choose those who produce good-quality artwork (in other words, no sprite comics or anything similar).

Darn. That ruins my chance of getting in it. I'll be doing sprite comics and MS paint till the day I die. Or stop making comics.

anystar
anystar
Posted at

If we take the musical idea of a cover, that's someone taking an old song and remaking it, etc.

So "duck and cover" could perhaps be full of "retold" stories, like a Star Wars parody, a retelling of a fable, a song done in comic form…

Fwaaah, I totally love the idea of a retold story. I adore faerie tales, of course. XD I could do a rather naughty Red Riding Hood. *snort* I was thinking about doing that anyways. Or maybe a Snow White one. Something like that. I'mt aking a Children's Lit class right now, and learning about some of the twisted psychological things involved in the old tales, so I'm inspired.

Enef
Enef
Posted at

I would love to make up a submission for a DD book, it would be fun as well.

I also like the idea of a World War type thing or a Parody book.

I love stuff like Star Bores, Bored of the Rings, Barry Trotter, The Soddit etc etc.

I would love to parody an actual comic in creation.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.