Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

The Top Drawer is a weird idea to try and bring back because for it to be back in any significant way it would essentially have to be given it's own set of rules and moderators etc. in order for it to maintain some semblance of its' original personality while still meeting the requirements of Drunkduck proper. In essence, it would have to be it's own forum. Which, uh… I guess it is, since someone started a new one on another site.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Elaborate?
Unsigning would be a good idea.

lba
lba
Posted at

Yeah… Seeing as how most of the moderating influences on the behavior there are no longer present even on the rest of the forums I kinda doubt that would be a good idea. ( Not that those of us who managed to retain our dignity could have influenced that mob much. )

Besides, those posters who had something to contribute like Skull have moved to the rest of the boards and have added a measure of levity minus the drama. I kind of like it that way.

actually td is still accessable by the mods and admins.
we are still posting in it.

oz is a prostitute in there
Im a gangster
Skool is the drug addict
aqua is the runaway teen
I never get to see the fun parts of town around here. :(

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Something you should unsign.

Lygo
Lygo
Posted at

What is Top Drawer?!

From the sounds of it, the question should be "What ISN'T Top Drawer?"

Which I also don't know the answer to.

As it is, I dunno, I have other places I go to get random infectious tomfoolery on the internet. I doubt I, nor anyone else, really needs another one. The *chans sort of have it covered, don't they?

Posted at

No, and fuck you, Shplane, for suggesting it.

cool guy
cool guy
Posted at

I'll Sign cuz I wanna know what it is

Posted at

On second though, I think I'm unsign as well Shplane. We had some fun times in TD and I think we should retain those memories and let it die.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

The Top Drawer is a weird idea to try and bring back because for it to be back in any significant way it would essentially have to be given it's own set of rules and moderators etc. in order for it to maintain some semblance of its' original personality while still meeting the requirements of Drunkduck proper. In essence, it would have to be it's own forum. Which, uh… I guess it is, since someone started a new one on another site.

Exactly.

Also, when the Top Drawer was shut down, its trolls left our forum and things became a lot nicer. And DD's average IQ raised about 40 points.

I would advise that any members who came here in hopes to get it back just leave and return to your Top Drawer facsimile, wherever it is. Because it's not coming back.

Drasnus
Drasnus
Posted at

What. Is. Top. Drawer.

?

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

What. Is. Top. Drawer.

?

Okay, the Top Drawer's original purpose was that it was a subforum for mods and admins to dump threads that either didn't fit into any of the existing subforums or that had gone so painfully off-topic that they really don't belong in the subforums they occupied. Largely this was done because some of these threads still had merit to them, if only tangentially, so it was better to preserve them somewhere instead of just locking them. Because of this "junk" mentality for the forum, moderation on it was deliberately lax. People took this mentality to mean that it was an "anything goes" forum, and the treatment of it as such was relatively harmless at first so no one minded. By the time it had gotten to be a bit of a problem the whole sub-forum had evolved into something entirely different; it was pretty much it's own forum. Trolling ran rampant, largely because playful infighting amongst the regulars had become misinterpreted by newer members as an open invitation to be jerks.

I've used the analogy before that it was essentially like a junkyard that a bunch of kids built a clubhouse in, and for better or worse it was decided to just leave it to them rather than try to clean it up for its original purpose.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

Edit: Inkmonkey beat me to the Top Drawer's explanation

The Top Drawer was a portion of the forum originally designated to store threads that seemingly didn't have a home. These threads weren't quite right for General Discussion, Media Discussion, Forum Games, or whatever else. They were usually a bit off-beat and hard for anyone besides the original poster to grasp. When threads like this popped up, moderators would move them to the Top Drawer where they could continue for the few people interested and not get in the way of the rest of the forum.

As time went on it became the home for potentially inflammatory or outright trollish threads, too. Certain DD members were drawn to the Top Drawer's seeming lack of structure and rules and found it to be a place where they could let their minds run free without consequences. The Top Drawer was no longer a destination for forum nonsense, it was the source.

It doesn't take long in such an environment for topics of very poor taste to run rampant. Soon its inhabitants began to feel like they owned the place, and took offense whenever the Top Drawer was used for its original purpose. I remember the filthy things said to me one day when I moved a thread there. It was as if the Top Drawer was now a foster home for children who had never in their lives been punished, and expected no consequences for anything they did. It was becoming its own DD chapter of 4chan, the most despicable place on the internet.

The breaking point for the Top Drawer was when its juvenile in-jokes and trollish behavior started showing up in the rest of the forum. There were certain DD forum members who came here only for the Top Drawer, and yet were becoming problematic in other sections. The Top Drawer began to be viewed as a scar on Drunk Duck's image. In reality, there were rules. There are consequences to the things we type and the images we post. As hard as the admins and mods tried to protect and validate the Top Drawer, it became obvious that it had to go. Amidst overwhelming grief and protest from its regular posters, the Top Draw was shut down and hidden in July of 2008.

Posted at

I didn't protest, I'm glad that it's 'gone'.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

It was fun while it lasted.
I think that fun still can happen with out all the offensiveness through out all the forums but some can't post in that fashion.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

What. Is. Top. Drawer.

?
The place you could say the N-word and make fun of people/peoples comics without getting in trouble.

Hawks explanation really hit home though, but then everything he says does :D (marry me someday…:neenjah: )

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

The place you could say the N-word

Noob???
uuuh, yeah. That's the one….

humorman
humorman
Posted at

I'm pretty much the one that ended TD.

There are people who can vouch for that.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

I'm pretty much the one that ended TD.

There are people who can vouch for that.
No it was Ozone who hid it from non-mods and admins.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

that's how hilarious I am.

Ha.

:/

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

(marry me someday…:neenjah: )

I do. :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The place you could say the N-word
Except when I started banning people for that…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.