Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
liz
liz
Posted at

I hope Wowio stays that same, or isn't changed much. I've never been there, but from what I hear it's a great site for comics and such. There are a lot of mixed responses from fans of Wowio on Platinum Studio's move.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

I hope that this helps wowio go international if it happens.

I have seen really awesome comics there that i can't adquire because i no americano residento.

Same. I have a few things I'd like to make into an eBook, but can't (The name should give you a clue as to why)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good to see it finally went through :)

Blues
Blues
Posted at

Is Platinuim ever going to try buying something that makes enough money to justify the purchase?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Is Platinuim ever going to try buying something that makes enough money to justify the purchase?
You're posting on it. ;)

But that's kind of an ignorant statement, since you don't know HOW MUCH it is being negotiated for.

The Wowio deal hasn't gone through yet, to my knowledge. I don't even know if other parties are looking at it too, since this article doesn't mention it either way.

There are already some changes afoot with Wowio, as it seems that it will be going GLOBAL soon (not just the U.S.).

Wowio is a great thing for PS to acquire, though. Why re-invent the wheel? Plus, it may get a lot of talented DD people a chance to make some moolah, too. :)

bongotezz
bongotezz
Posted at

I was thinking about signing up to distribute my comics. depending on what comes of this i might just do it.

Posted at

It is scary really… I've been away from the scene at about when Platinum Studios bought DrunkDuck, how have they been to you guys?

Blues
Blues
Posted at

You're posting on it. ;)

So you're saying that Drunkduck is turning a profit? I could be wrong and they somehow are, but if it was then the fixes people have been bringing up for months would've been fixed months ago cos they'd have been be putting some real amount of focus on the site as opposed to you guys not even knowing what was happening. And no, this isn't an attempt to bring up the bug issue some more, it's an example.

But that's kind of an ignorant statement, since you don't know HOW MUCH it is being negotiated for.

I never said they've purchased it, but it's clear they're trying

There are already some changes afoot with Wowio, as it seems that it will be going GLOBAL soon (not just the U.S.).

Until wowio is back up there's no telling how well it will do globally and how sustainable it is

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

So you're saying that Drunkduck is turning a profit? I could be wrong and they somehow are, but if it was then the fixes people have been bringing up for months would've been fixed months ago cos they'd have been be putting some real amount of focus on the site as opposed to you guys not even knowing what was happening. And no, this isn't an attempt to bring up the bug issue some more, it's an example.
Drunk Duck makes enough money to keep itself online and in existence. You never asked about profits. But even if it isn't making a profit, the value of DD is pretty clear.

I never said they've purchased it, but it's clear they're trying
I never said you said they purchased it. Why don't you start reading posts before you respond to them?
You said…

And I said you have NO IDEA what they are negotiating. In other words, how do YOU happen to know if it's justifiable or not?

Until wowio is back up there's no telling how well it will do globally and how sustainable it is
No kidding. The same could be said about the success of anything new that launches. Why be negative about it? It could be one of the best things that could happen. You're a real negative nelly. :P

crocty
crocty
Posted at

Hey great, they can buy it, then not allow the site admins to work on the site!
Those marketing geniuses!

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

And I said you have NO IDEA what they are negotiating. In other words, how do YOU happen to know if it's justifiable or not?

Now hey SpANG, we're all adults and can agree on what is plain as day. Platinum has had a shakey history of ill-fated purchases, not paying people, etc etc. This is out in the open information, doesn't take more than a google search to locate.

I think from experiance being a bit concerned about them spending more money is perfectly reasonable and not ignorant. However, you make an excellent point. The public does not know the specifics of the deal. It can be a bust or a boom.

From what I heard (and this is purely rumor, I'm not going to go find the site that mentioned this I'll be honest) Wowio is paying Platinum with some sort of incentive to buy them. Person who told me this colorfully put it as "a hooker approaching a hobo", which makes sense. It's an interesting deal, and if profitable enough it could turn the tables for Platinum.

Then again if it turns sour, well, it seems as if the company can't afford many more nails in their coffin, or so to speak.

Again, my info is a bit hazy. I kinda just stopped giving a shit after the whole not getting paid thing that went on a while ago. :/

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Platinum has had a shakey history of ill-fated purchases, not paying people, etc etc.
I think from experience being a bit concerned about them spending more money is perfectly reasonable and not ignorant.
From what I heard (and this is purely rumor, I'm not going to go find the site that mentioned this I'll be honest) Wowio is paying Platinum with some sort of incentive to buy them.
Uhhh. Didn't you just make my point for me? The fact of the matter is that none of us know the inner workings of the deal yet. We don't even know if PS paid anything out-of-pocket. If your source is right, it doesn't look like they did.

Look, Wowio is a great site. It pays artists for their work. I can't see it being a bad acquisition.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Uhhh. Didn't you just make my point for me?

Hey no, sarcasm was a totally reasonable response to an argument that wasn't even there.

Yes I was agreeing with your point, and I was being pretty obvious about it.

I was just trying to make sense of Blue's concern as well, saying that both of you make pretty good points and that not one of you quite fits the bill of "ignorant".

My personal opinion on the matter is: so what. Platinum has made plenty of good buys that have later turned into debacles. So long as they handle this well, who cares?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Fair enough.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

I love starting pointless arguments because I'm so arrogant with my opinion!

Who am I?

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Yeah after reading that post again I sounded confusing as fuck. My bad. I guess that's what happens when you type about buyouts right before you passout.

ANYWAY

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Who am I?
I do that more than anyone else. Look at how seriously I took that gender transformation thread! lol!

And that's just a tiny sampler… it gets worse! o_O

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Who am I?
99% of forum posters worldwide?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

99% of forum posters worldwide?
Way to burst my bubble :(

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

When Plat took over DD they helped it. Hopefully they will allow Wowio to continue mostly the same way and also become better. Seems that's already started happening.

I may dislike a lot of Platinum Studio's comics, but they have good business sense.

c_arnold
c_arnold
Posted at

It's disappointing this thread devolved into a pointless argument as quickly as it did. I'm actually curious about the Platinum buyout of wowio. Since I didn't see any recent news on the Platinum buyout of wowio on yahoo business other than the were making a move to do so, I looked around and found that apparently PublishersWeekly.com, "The Beat", says that it's already happened, Wowio's been bought.

Reading the various web-comic sites I like and the miscellaneous news following the buyout, it doesn't read like the pending changes past the whole fact that they're going global are entirely welcome, but what change ever is. Mainly seems to be centered around "vague" terminology in the contracts. I'm also concerned that there are folks departing wowio with the buyout, rather than being removed, that never bodes well. I find it really alarming when you've also got artists saying they're not going continue with Wowio.

Either way, I'm curious as to what, if any, improvements that Platinum can make to Wowio.com that's as beneficial to the various web-comics that have stuck with Wowio to date, or would seek to use the service. Now that they're planning to take it global, they're going to face some really interesting challenges.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

A lot of the anti stuff just stems from some sort of nebulous juvenile distrust and dislike of Platinum. They're like "the commies" to these paranoid comic people…

From what little I know of the buyout, Plat wasn't taking over Wowio. The joining was more like a marriage of mutual benefit.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.