Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070424/ap_on_sc/habitable_planet

So, scientists have found a planet near a red dwarf trillions of miles away.

I hear all this talk of "green livin" and whatnot…Our sun ain't gonna' last forever…if global warming or ROUS's don't get us first, eventually, this planet will not be able to sustain life…so, shouldn't we…don't we owe it to the children -(Won't someone think of the children) to start developin' the technology to make a trek?

If they started takin' recruits (I know, I'm sure they have enough NASA volunteers–if the US is even first…) would you sign up? Husband and I would in a second…I would defin. live out the rest of my life in a freighter-star ship…It may seem selfish to commit your offspring to such…but, fuck them…that would be an undescribable experience…

What do you think?

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I duuno, I got my hopes up years ago when they said there was evidecnce of microscopic life on mars, then they took it back, so now I'm skeptical.

Posted at

Alexis,

Yeah, I remember that…But, I'm one of those people that think it's naive to think we're alone…(At least that's what I want to think…)

What I'm sayin' if the gov't showed up and said…we are sending a group of 3000 people into space and we would like you to go, teach kids art (or cook—whathaveyou….) would you be up for it? Just leave it all and go!

I say yes.

snark
snark
Posted at

Hmm, I probably wouldn't go, the thought of spending the rest of my life stuck in a spaceship with a group of other people would drive me insane. >_<

That said, current technology wouldn't permit space colonization given the sheer amount of energy required to lift a ship capable of storing a sizeble group of people in addition to everything required to facilitate life for a few thousand years.

Still, I guess being a pioneer of the continuation of the human race would be pretty cool…

Posted at

Never. I can barely survive flying from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia.

Besides, how would the change in gravity affect the human body, both immediately and generations down the line?

Wolfer
Wolfer
Posted at

I don't really know. I'm really interested in space and all it's mysteries, but a trek through space on a giant spaceship silled with colonists…Isn't it a perfect target for space pirates?

And maybe, just maybe, I watch too much scifi.

reconjsh
reconjsh
Posted at

Scientists are already suggesting that life on this planet may be unlikely due to it's rapid rotation around its sun.

That said. I don't think I'd volunteer. I'm too old to make that long of a flight and I enjoy my life as it is now. If NASA "needed" ME for some reason though, I'd go.

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

i would, as long as some of my family got to go to. families are the way for long distance exploration, regular astronaughts'll just flip out and kill eachother.

Posted at

I'd only go if we get the internets onboard the spaceship….

Brokenhill
Brokenhill
Posted at

I'd go, no strings attached. I'm sick of this planet, I wouldn't want my children and grand children being raised in a society like this.

Posted at

WERE ALL GONNA DIE

Damn…So, I guess I shouldn't plan ahead too far.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'd go, no strings attached. I'm sick of this planet, I wouldn't want my children and grand children being raised in a society like this.
There are other societies you know, you don't have to leave the planet to find a new one ;)

Will
Will
Posted at

you gotta think about it though, by the time our sun expires we will have probably advanced to the point where we can travel at the speed of light, and if not, life could be sustained under the earth's crust untill the earth reaches a new sun.

heh, like thats gunna happen, meh, speculation is fun.

Posted at

I don't think I would want to be one of the testers. Those always seem to go wrong. NASA may employ genius's, but genius's can be really stupid.
Plus like it was said earlier, I don't do well with not being able to get away from people, and kept in a tight quarters.

Posted at

heh, i guess they are gonna plan to put all the rich people in a noah's ark and travel to another earth because we've messed this one up pretty good.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Personally I'm more concerned with keeping earth habitable than going off to find new planets to destroy.

Glarg
Glarg
Posted at

Imagine how many undiscovered fuels must be in there.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

True… Or we could use it as a test bed for new and improved nuclear weapons! No one's ever built one of those global Cobalt life killers… We could see it it works! ^_^

Glarg
Glarg
Posted at

True… Or we could use it as a test bed for new and improved nuclear weapons! No one's ever built one of those global Cobalt life killers… We could see it it works! ^_^

Actually I heard the Goverment is already planning for a nuclear test bed on the moon.

Posted at

Oh man, I hope it does turn out that it can host life. Maybe there's intelligent creatures on the planet already?

Hmm, on the question of joining a team like that… I'd definitely go. Maybe working as a techie or something. xD; The thought of discovering new life astounds me, and, truth be told, I would love to meet alien life, face to face. x3;;

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I would love to meet alien life, face to face. x3;;
heh, why would it have a face? ;)

Posted at

I would love to meet alien life, face to face. x3;;
heh, why would it have a face? ;)

Oooh, good point. Haha, guess that needs rephrasing. XD;

Glarg
Glarg
Posted at

Which brings the multiple questions…

Are they A sexual or B sexual?
Do they even have reproductive organs?
What do they eat?
What is their average life span.
Is there more then three sexes? More then a male, female, and shemales?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.