Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Posted at

If you make the background a color that's not so bright, it will be alot better.

Posted at

I think first and foremost that the site should be more user friends to the people using it. IE: Making is easy to update your comics, comment about others comics, and rate people's comics.

1) Comics should have a quick link for updating new pages
2) You should be able to change the date your comic goes live after it's already been uploaded to the site
3) Comics should have titles displayed along with their icons (because you're right, the images are going to help drive traffic to a comic, but that doesn't mean that the title of the comic should be removed)
4) Awards / trophies should get fixed

Also, has anyone else noticed that the site moves a lot slower with this new layout? Maybe that's just my computer….

therealtj
therealtj
Posted at

Well, I like how the Fovorites and "Your comics" Are neater. I kinda like the colors, but text needs to be bigger >_<

Maybe an "account preferences" where you can choose how big you want text to appear? Anyway, I like how It's showing banners of DD comics in the ad banners now.
Also, maybe a color option with that? Just my two cents.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Yeah, I have to go to my account to read the recently updated comics on my fav list. It's annoying. Now DD has even more problems than before.

Th_Mole
Th_Mole
Posted at

For those who don't like the sterile white background and preferred the blue, perhaps very light blue would work (CCCCFF/204,204,255), or very light cyan might be better (CCFFFF/204,255,255). The very light cyan, especially, would be less visually intrusive.

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Yeah, I have to go to my account to read the recently updated comics on my fav list. It's annoying. Now DD has even more problems than before.

Never mind it's working now.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

I think making it more visual is a great idea– like how it's coming together so far. If I had one suggestion to make it would be to get rid of the words "The Rack" and replace that with something more direct to say what the avatars below are suggestions:

"The latest WEBCOMICS"
"Today's best Webcomics"
"Fresh Webcomics!"

You get my drift…

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Also, opened it up in Internet Explorer, and the top 10 lists, or that section, isn't side by side like in Firefox, they are stacked on top of each other. In firefox it's looking good.

Orange
Orange
Posted at

The site is loading much more slowly than usual, and when I was trying to post a comment for a comic, three windows for ask.com popped up….may I ask why?

Also, the quote color isn't very readable…
Edit:nevermind about the quote…
Another ask.com popped up while i was typin this….D:

Allan
Allan
Posted at

Well I do notice Volte or someone is working on it because already it's no longer #ffffff, but #cccccc, so that's definitely progress!

mlai
mlai
Posted at

1. Please un-shrink the text in Forums.
2. Please return Forums to the eye-pleasing former colors (blue).
3. Please do not use white as background color anywhere.
4. Please un-collapse the user bar. Or at least allow it to remain open after you click on it this session.
5. Please make sure everything's aligned correctly in IE browser.
6. Is it necessary to have the ads in My Account and Tools?

Posted at

Ok, I haven't checked anything besides the forums, but here's my take.

1: Text is too small. I have perfect vision, but I STILL have to squint. I feel for anyone with worse than 20/20.

2: The colors are horrible. Replacing cool, soothing blue with bright, assaulting white was, to put it bluntly, incredibly stupid.

3: We had enough ads before. I'm sure Platinum was making plenty of money off of DD already.

4: Load times seem to be longer, and sometimes things won't load at all.

5: Why are you messing around with layout instead of fixing bugs and adding more basic forum features that everywhere else has?

Posted at

Well I do notice Volte or someone is working on it because already it's no longer #ffffff, but #cccccc, so that's definitely progress!

I'm not seeing it that way.

Allan
Allan
Posted at

Compare the background color to that little white "Search!" tab at the top. You can see one is significantly brighter than the other.

Posted at

Compare the background color to that little white "Search!" tab at the top. You can see one is significantly brighter than the other.

You're right, it's not white anymore, but CCCCCC is the forums color and those are pretty different right now unless he just made the forums darker.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

TOO BRIGHT!!….TOO BRIGHT!

Allan
Allan
Posted at

You're right, it's not white anymore, but CCCCCC is the forums color and those are pretty different right now unless he just made the forums darker.

You're right. The background is EEEEEE.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

It looks good now, but less like a comic site in all honesty. I like that though, although I can see it turning off a few new users. Sleek and sexy is more of my thing though, actually makes me want to come back to the main page and read comics more than I did. However, there are few glaring flaws. Is anyone else getting a HUGE grey blank on the lower half of the site while browsing in FireFox? Also AJAX is still taking forever and a day to load, although I don't have the programing knowledge to know what all that means.

My only suggestion besides touching up the graphics on level three, would be to add the names of comics when you scroll over them. I like seeing the icon before I read, but it's always good to know the name two. Each is very descriptive, but together and picking out new comics is a breeze. I love the featured comic section now though, makes it so much easier to find what I want as opposed to going back. Now that it seems to be done, I have to say… well played, Volte. Well played.

Also, the dark purple or blue for the link text on the forums is difficult to read, maybe switch to an orange like for the user info box? It would match the color of the site and be easier on the eyes when overlapping the blue.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Then kill the friggin' ADS on the side.
More ads in the forums and front page, less need for more on the comic pages. I say, let's let sleeping dogs lie. Besides, they are out of the way.

We just need to narrow that side bar up just a little bit, so no scrolling. ;)

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I don't like it… feels very incomplete and amateurish; like a geocities page. It needs more style. Granted the previous style was a bit jumbled, but it worked in the sense that the preview pictures didn't follow any particular theme and allowed easier meshing between them and the site. I think it's good that new things are being tried, but this new system needs a lot of tweaking, particularly for the front page.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Oh hey I'm a moron, the name AND description of the comics do appear, but take forever thanks to the javascript. :/

That's a pretty annoying issue, specially since it closes the tabs after you move away from the page. Also, did you guys cheapen the cost for ads, I'm seeing a ton of ads for DD comics that never really appeared before.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

not trying to be a pompous arse, but did you guys run any usability test with a sample group before going forward with this?

The admins here got to use it… We pointed out all the same issues and suggestions already :)

Its good to know the admins got to test it out.
In my job I have had to test out several programs and web based tools and the process is a long and arduous ordeal. It takes a long time and I can see people have put a lot of time into this with some great ideas that just needed some finishing touches and tweaks.

Is there a time-frame as to when everything is finished?

Posted at

If I may give my opinions on this interesting change of scenery around here.

1: I hate the white color. A lot of people have already complained about it, and they're right; it is an eyesore and it distracts.

2: I love the random comics on the frontpage, and it seems to work pretty good.

3: The idea of a MyFavorites tab sucks. Sometimes it doesn't load in on my browser and I have to click it open and closed repeatedly, much like deviantART's previews and whatnot. Otherwise, the idea of being able to see, at a glance and without those silly stars, what comics have updated it awesome.

4: The text is too small in the forums, as has been noted before. I'm nearly blind as it is, what are you trying to do, finish the job? I jest, but only barely. :)

5: Did I mention the white? I did? Well I'm mentioning it again because it's driving me nuts.

Otherwise, this new look seems slimmer and more streamlined in a lot of ways. A bit more spit and polis hand we'll have a winner here!

Posted at

I see you flushed the color on the front thumbnails. That makes it way more bearable, good idea.

Posted at

ABSOLUTE MUST:

Switch back to old color scheme, enlarge text, switch back to old color scheme, switch back to old color scheme, switch back to old color scheme.

ANNOYING, BUT NOT TOO BAD:
Extra ads, loads are slightly longer sometimes.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.