Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
TitanOne
TitanOne
Posted at

Look, I don't want to offend anyone but this is a mess.

It's like the DD equivalent of Windows Vista!

Please bring back the old design…

Posted at

@Volte6 :

My key takeaways for the new layout are this:

1) I like the icons on the main page, but they get a little confusing to look at. I think putting some verticle lines to visually separate the three sets of verticle columns would be helpful.

2) When filtering on the main page, you can only save your selection. There's no option to just close the box that pops up.

3) It's difficult to figure out how to access my comic information, stats and updating. Because the "My Comics" section off to the right side no longer has the quick links on there, which were very convenient and helpful. Now you have to click onto "My Account" and then click on the comic icon in order to access any information about it, or to update pages. I woudl recommend putting the quick links back into the "My Comics" section, at least for stats and page updates.

4) It would be nice if the news noticed were somehow more visible on the main site, like the announcements that a comic has reached 25, 50, 100, etc pages. I notice a boost in hits whenever my comic reaches a milestone, and it's nice to know that people can see that information on the main page. While it's not necessary to put all of that info on the main page, it would be nice to have a "News Updated on this date" post of some kind, so people know when to look at the news section.

5) Maybe put some borders around items, so they don't appear to be floating around on the screen. (Example: Going into the "Browse Comics" section makes it look like the comic icons are just floating on the screen. At least putting a border around the comic icon section would help this, I think.

6) [UNRELATED TO THE NEW LOOK] I would still like to see the trophies get fixed. I have 2 comics in the top 1,000 and 1 of them is consistently in the top 500. It would be nice to receive some recognition for that achievement.

Posted at

Down at the bottom with that page navigation, the clickable links and the normal text have no difference until highlighted.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

I voiced some initial reactios to the front page, but then I started to use it a little more and I'd like to point out some things I like:

The fact that we get to decide what content pops up on the front page is awesome. Finally I can pretend that sprite comics and stick-man comics no longer exist.

I just noticed that my profile stuff moved to the top. Good move!

I like the additional information we now have in the "my favorites" area. Especially how it tells us when a comic last updated.

Bocaj
Bocaj
Posted at

Main dislikes:
-Sideways scrollbar!

-Extra white room on left in forums.

-How wide the sidebar is.

-MyFavorites comes collapsed!*

*I come to DD to read comics, and if it is collapsed I could miss a random update while browsing.

Posted at

I don't understand everyone's big deal with the collapsing favorites, I think it's better. :/

Brock
Brock
Posted at

Now THAT'S service.

Huzzah! The Account info and Favorites went back up to the top! Kudos to whomever for getting that one done pronto.

Work in progress, people. Work in progress.

Now if we can just get the Favorites to display by default instead of having the click the arrow…

chii
chii
Posted at

I voiced some initial reactios to the front page, but then I started to use it a little more and I'd like to point out some things I like:

The fact that we get to decide what content pops up on the front page is awesome. Finally I can pretend that sprite comics and stick-man comics no longer exist.

I just noticed that my profile stuff moved to the top. Good move!

I like the additional information we now have in the "my favorites" area. Especially how it tells us when a comic last updated.

You have some good points there, but here's the thing… You see those nasty huge non-comic related ads off to the right? Those are bringing in lots of money for Drunk Duck. Though having lots of money for the website to keep it going is good, at the same time it makes everything that much worse. When I see big fat ads sitting under my interface-thingamabobber, it makes me wanna throw up all over some poor small child till their FACE melts into a pile of nasty melty goodness.

This change was made to make some more money, and that doesn't say "Welcome to Drunk Duck" like it use to. It says "Welcome to a nice big Corporate dog raping you!"

Text is to small, ads are to many and to big, and all of this is just so, so hurtful to my eyes.

Posted at

So I think the main thing people are clamoring for here is:

-Borders, or another way of separating out the clusters of information
- A less plain background; something unique looking, or at least not plain white.

I wonder, would it be possible to allow people to choose DD-New or DD-Classic in the same way we could choose between the horror, manga etc. versions of the site?

Posted at

Nice ReDesign. Looks good.
MyComics and MyComicsNews is not loading but I figure that's just bugs in the rollout.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Please everyone try and calm down a little bit. Volte's still working on it.

The front page IS quite usable, you'll find that eventually. The lack of news isn't good and we've gone to Volte with various solutions to and and he's said he'll work on it.

Just hang in there, be patient, suggest changes but try not to get too steamed up about what you HATE because you won't be listed to as readily as calmer voices.

Orange
Orange
Posted at

I don't really like the new layout…
:\
My screen is too small to fit everything in, and too much pictures are kind of an eyesore, especially for the slower-loading computers…
The white is kind of blinding and makes it look somewhat unfinished.
If you do keep this layout, you wanna consider choosing the other as optional ^^?

Edit: Also, the forums look kind of bad D:
Edit part 2: scratch that, really bad ><

Randal
Randal
Posted at

This guy was videotaped while trying to use the new DD site layout…

I know it's an old one, but it's still good and I thought it would help break the tension in this thread with a little exaggerated levity.

CORY
CORY
Posted at

I've found darker backgrounds and lighter tables on those darker background have a sleek look to it when it comes to web design. Simple would be great for DD, but with so many things Drunk Duck has, it's impossible to keep it simple. Screw the simple idea and go with user-friendly. I don't care if it's ugly as long as it's usable.

Also, stick at least a #333333 background in there. That'd really make my eyes stop hurting.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Well, if simplicity is what they are going for, then removing the black banner up top and removing the ads and the account info to the side while centering the forum in the middle would be pretty stellar.

The problem with the site right now is that all the colors clash horribly. There's black at the top, blue plus gray to the left, and tan yellow with whatever bright color the ad has. It just doesn't look good on a really bright screen.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Oh, I just found one more thing to add. In the "MyComics" list, clicking the link actually takes you to the comic page. It was far more useful for it to take you to the controls for the specific comic. (I don't need to see my comic. I need to edit it. It was nice to have one less step than going through my control panel/My Account.)

EDIT

Another little glitchy thing… Mouse-over bubble is behind the ad:

Edit again

I noticed that doesn't happen with the SPLASTK ad thing. I'm not sure if it happens with all the ads or if it's fixable. Too bad it messes up that last feature description. (I'm using Firefox, btw.)

Oh, and also, I don't think the ads would be such an eyesore/imposition if they were set apart from the content with borders or a different background color.

Posted at

The balloon overs on the front page do not display in Firefox. They flicker in and vanish.
The balloon over in IE have a strange grey box in the middle on each side.

Posted at

1) Although the comics have balloons that open up when your cursor moves over them, I've had several times where it will display another comic's discription.

2) It would be nice also to have the names of the comics over or under the icon, because if someone references a comic and I have to search for it, I can't just look for the title. I have to cursor over the icons one-by-one to find it.

Posted at

The balloons work in my firefox

Version info
Firefox/2.0.0.11

Also thank you very much for putting the assisted comics back and the shortcut tools!

Now if I could just keep the Favorites and My Comics tabs open that would be awesome and I'll be content!

What is MyComicNews btw? Do I get to make news about my comic that people can subscribe to or something? Or news in general, like if I needed to go on hiatus I could announce it there? Or will it just remain a link to DD news?

pastel
pastel
Posted at

One thing I really like is seeing the icons of recently updated comics instead of just seeing their names.
I used to ignore most comics on that list before, but in this format, its easier to find comics that catch my interest.

One thing I think should be changed is the font. Instead of a tall, skinny font like what seems to be Arial, DD should switch back to a wider one like Verdana or Tahoma, etc. They're easier to read and if you look on most other websites on the internet, wider fonts are the norm.

Posted at

Seriously, if you have a new design, how about FIXING THE BUGS ALREADY?!

Zac
Zac
Posted at

Heya Volte,

Here's what I like about it, bud.
1. I like to see a Random comics, on the front page.
2. I like to see the this just in feature. Which I'm assuming is recently updated comics.
3. The top 10 is nice too, is that based on the same system as before? How does it account for the high amounts of hits Stories get to the Strips. Just curious.
4. I like the condensed tool bar on the right. It's neat. And looks like it could have a lot of shortcut potentials.

Here's what I don't like:
1. There's a lot of white. So it's a little like staring into the sun.
2. The amount of ads on the front page (5) makes it a little hard to go for the simplistic approach, and makes things look a bit crowded.
3. The tiny font.

Other'n that, cool beans Volte. Good to see you're still working on the site.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.