Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Whatever happened to Drunk Duck merchandise? Was it just really unpopular, then taken off of the Drunk Duck front page? If I tried to buy something from there, would it come in the mail, or is that website totally dead? Also, are there any plans for NEW DD stuff?

If you can still order from the site, I'm sure there are plenty of newbies that would want to take a look at it.

Posted at

It was probably shut down because no one bought anything from it. I found everything to be really ugly. It was just a cafepress store anyway.

If you bought something off the site you'd get it, since it's cafepress who would do the printing and shipping. I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has pretty much abandoned DD.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

She's just come back from a working holiday to Italy! Everything is fresh, exciting, Italian, and smells of basil there.

After that DD must seem rather unkempt. :(

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

It was probably shut down because no one bought anything from it. I found everything to be really ugly. It was just a cafepress store anyway.

If you bought something off the site you'd get it, since it's cafepress who would do the printing and shipping. I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has pretty much abandoned DD.

I'm not really surprised Plat has abandoned DD, as this really isn't the type of site that makes a good amount of money(it's all indie creators and it's all free), but I don't see how them removing the store really helps anything. It almost seems like it would be against their favor.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

ugh.

I think Volte's intention with that was to always make something that was more DD controlled. From what I recall that "store" feature was considered redundant ages ago. I'm surprised anybody noticed it was gone.

Skool's remark about Plat isn't entirely related to the loss of the Cafe press thing; it' a general comment about the state of the site. OK? ;)

————————-
There's a general malaise and feeling of neglect.
Things are kept running, but…
:(

Anyway, it doesn't help to get too down on things :)

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

'Kay. As the pythons say, I'll look on the bright side. :)

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I have a hard time thinking of DD as a sinking ship, I've been here so long and it hasn't been bad up until recently, what with the bugs and blah blah blah.

That makes me wonder though, how is DD paying for server costs. I was under the impression that Plat forked money over, so if it's abandoned or gets abandoned, would we be kept afloat on ads, or will the site go the way of the do-do?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

As I say: Things are kept running, but… ^_^

The site hasn't been abandoned by plat. It's still being paid for.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has all but abandoned DD.
There. Fixed.

The truth is that PS has not ABANDONED Drunk Duck, but is IGNORING it. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's a real shame.

I can still host our comic, and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen. Plus, DD gets a LOT of traffic. I don't credit PS in any way for that, though.

The only thing I can tell you is that the site still works for hosting comics, and the forums work… Kinda.

Well, for now, at least. :/

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Ooh, Ok. My bad I read that wrong. Makes sense.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen.
Same here, DD's got the best ranking system and all. In fact if SJ wasn't filled with yaoi comics and used a pageview rank instead of a fav; DD would go out of business in a month i bet. The site owners know what they're doing over there.

But I'm talking about something outside my control, and i don't have the resources to create my own webcomic hosting site to fix it. u.u

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

Same here, DD's got the best ranking system and all. In fact if SJ wasn't filled with yaoi comics and used a pageview rank instead of a fav; DD would go out of business in a month i bet. The site owners know what they're doing over there.

But I'm talking about something outside my control, and i don't have the resources to create my own webcomic hosting site to fix it. u.u

I do. Which is to say myself and a few others have the know how and the time.

We just need money. A lot of money. We were actually really close to doing it at one point, had most of it coded, got a template, started on graphics, and then stopped because we couldn't get server space large enough to keep an image hosting site afloat. :/

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

We just need money. A lot of money. We were actually really close to doing it at one point, had most of it coded, got a template, started on graphics, and then stopped because we couldn't get server space large enough to keep an image hosting site afloat. :/

I actually know a computer place in my town where you can buy a server(like, an actual physical one), but considering its a used coms store, it's probably not very good, but still. Just throwing that out there.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I actually know a computer place in my town where you can buy a server(like, an actual physical one), but considering its a used coms store, it's probably not very good, but still. Just throwing that out there.

Well a site starting out wouldn't need a very large server. The thing about image hosting is that you really don't want to wipe your images out, so there are massive backlogs of images that need to be stored.

In other words, the server might be too large and expensive at first, actually. But if I may ask, any idea how much it costs?

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

I don't have much of an idea, but I can check in the next day or two and get back to you.

edit: (It's probably around $100 or so. I'll check though.)

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

If it's not too much trouble or out of your way. I know a guy who has been wanting to buy a server, even if it's just a cheap one.

Posted at

@ Lefarce
Ah, screw it. I can't think of any irreversible damage that could be done.

My justnopoint server has 1536000 MB of disk space with a monthly bandwidth limit of 15360000 MB.

Would that be enough to start going early on?

And is this the same thing APC is working on?

EDIT: Oh yeah, you don't HAVE to use justnopoint.com as the name of the site either. I can buy new domains for the same server.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I can't do crap worth with advanced coding but I know what i want in a webcomics site and how it should be maintained. I'd be pretty good for giving advice and making sure the sites not running wonky like DD :)

i.e. I'd be good for site ideas and blueprints

My ideal comic site has an advanced html like smackjeeves, ranking system like DD, fast/useful site design like SJ only cooler, Friendly forum community like DD(no pricks) and has a cool name. -_- OhAndNoSpriteComics… but that's wishful thinking :D

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

@ Lefarce

My justnopoint server has 1536000 MB of disk space with a monthly bandwidth limit of 15360000 MB.

EDIT: Oh yeah, you don't HAVE to use justnopoint.com as the name of the site either. I can buy new domains for the same server.

To start, I suppose so. I can contact the guy I know if you're interested in working on something like that, and of course I would be more than happy to help.

EDIT: @Skull, if I were to plan out a site like that, I would need a ton of help to make damn sure it goes according to plan and would love to hear your thoughts. This is, again, assuming all the right strings can be pulled.

IIRC the name we had for the first project was SketchLife, or something along those lines.

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

I wouldn't expect it to show up again on the site anytime soon though. Plat has all but abandoned DD.
There. Fixed.

The truth is that PS has not ABANDONED Drunk Duck, but is IGNORING it. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's a real shame.

I can still host our comic, and the queuing system works better than any other hoster I've seen. Plus, DD gets a LOT of traffic. I don't credit PS in any way for that, though.

The only thing I can tell you is that the site still works for hosting comics, and the forums work… Kinda.

Well, for now, at least. :/
This is how a part of my childhood went.

Not looking good.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

@ Lefarce

To start, I suppose so. I can contact the guy I know if you're interested in working on something like that, and of course I would be more than happy to help.

EDIT: @Skull, if I were to plan out a site like that, I would need a ton of help to make damn sure it goes according to plan and would love to hear your thoughts. This is, again, assuming all the right strings can be pulled.

IIRC the name we had for the first project was SketchLife, or something along those lines.

Hm. Might be late notice, but here's what I found today.

I went uptown to The computer store today(MICOMP), and looked at their inventory for servers. The big bulky corporate ones are something like $400 plus setup, much to my surprise. You can use traditional PC's as a server though apparently. Those run from $100 for bad but functional(1.8 GHz, 20 GB HD), to $250 for decent(2.66 GHz,80 GB HD, DVD drive).

I should also add I know nothing about servers. Even if you already have one set up though I'd love to help if I can.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

You can run a server application on any computer. But there's a lot more to it. :(

Go to good old Wiki.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

We did have an old junker we used as a server a long time ago, but we had to rip the RAM out of it a few years back, so that's not happening. The server is out of my price range, I'm afraid, but would work. Honestly the best bet would be to take justnopoint up on the server space they have.

I really would love to get a site up and running, but I would need Mad Hatter's help above everyone else. Already talked to him about it, but he hasn't gotten back to me. :/

hpkomic
hpkomic
Posted at

If I could just get the funding and space, I'd totally get a DD-competitor going. Not out of spite mind you, but competition is healthy.

I've got some great features lined up, though I believe APC/Jebus has already claimed most of my ideas to put into his system. :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.