Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Having sat through about 100 pitches now, I can tell you that I've definitely seen some slice of life stories, and just about every genre. Romance stories, coming of age stories, etc. I also think that's what's most fun about Comic Book Challenge– any genre could win or do well really, I think it's all about the hook.

Last year there was a comic all taking place in a High School I do believe, but the hook was that it was based on King Arthur's court with the story that was going on… I thought that was pretty friggin awesome.

Cool, but what if someone submitted somethign with a loose plot that had a punchline every page and was more like a newspaper comic? Or do you guys only stick with story comics?

Posted at

Sorry for the late response, AK. We're happy with strips, too. Many of the Top 50 from both years were strip format. Bird and Worm, a strip right here on DD was a Top 50 from the first year.

Posted at

Sorry for the double post, everybody, but I thought you mind find THIS interesting:

"Platinum Studios, Inc. announced today exciting changes to its annual contest, The Comic Book Challenge, which will transform it into a fully digital competition. In previous years, the Top 50 entrants had to make their way to San Diego, CA during one of the busiest and most expensive times of the year in order to pitch their concept live to a panel of judges. Now, from the convenience of their own home, each Top 50 entrant will be able to create a four-minute video pitch which he/she will submit online for judging. The panel of celebrity judges will then review the video pitch and original entry of each Top 50 entrant and choose the Top 10 entrants based on these submissions. The Top 50 entrants will be given one full month to create their own, unique video pitch.

“Even with the travel stipend we offered last year, a lot of the Top 50 had to pay out of pocket just to make it to the pitch, including some contestants coming from as far way as India and Australia, and I believe that may have discouraged some folks from entering,” said Dan Forcey, VP of Content Development at Platinum Studios. “We wanted to include as many aspiring comic book creators from as many places as possible so we decided to make participation even easier in order to continue growing The Comic Book Challenge into the international sensation we believe it is becoming.”

As part of these changes, Platinum has decided to extend its May 31st deadline to June 14th and public voting on the Top 10 will be similarly adjusted.

Visit www.comicbookchallenge.com for further details on the contest."

Posted at

You certainly can go, but there won't be anything of the CBC there. :-) As of now, it's 100% digital, entries, pitches, judges and everything.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

You certainly can go, but there won't be anything of the CBC there. :-) As of now, it's 100% digital, entries, pitches, judges and everything.

Thanks, I've been worrying for a few weeks about if I won, would I be able to make it because of costs and getting a passport and catching the right plane and such. Now all I have to worry about is making a video. This makes everything so much better

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

So when will this years prizes be announced?

Posted at

THANK GOD for the extention. I was worried I wouldn't get done on time. Aww but I was really looking forward to going to the SDCC if I got into the top 50…oh well.

Posted at

The prizes should be announced very soon. We actually intentionally hold off on the prize announcement until later. We want people who want to make comics, not folks who are in it to grab a free cintiq. I'm not saying YOU are that person, either, just trying to explain why we usually wait so long to announce the prize package.

Posted at

The extension is a very excellent development. Thank you, Platinum!

Posted at

Wait.

Wait.

WAIT.

This blatantly says that the prize list is from 2007, and constantly refers to "this year's prizes". What ARE this year's prizes? Are they finalized? Are they the same?

This is all a little strange, considering some of the things we've been hearing about Platinum's financial status.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

anonymous poster child, did you even read the entry two posts before yours?

The prizes should be announced very soon. We actually intentionally hold off on the prize announcement until later. We want people who want to make comics, not folks who are in it to grab a free cintiq. I'm not saying YOU are that person, either, just trying to explain why we usually wait so long to announce the prize package.

Posted at

I don't think APC even plans to enter. I think he's just being a stinker.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

He does bring up a valid point though, even if it's on the negative side towards platinum.

But on a counter point it's free to enter…

Oh well I decided not to enter this year anyhow. Good luck to those who did :)

nycartist1
nycartist1
Posted at

Okay, maybe I'm just dense but I'm not following the logic of the Art requirement section of the Contest rules so can someone enlighten me…

I've included the confusion inducing (and, to my mind, mutually exclusive) specifications in bold below:

Art Entry requirements:

1. (All pages will be uploaded when you submit your entry below.)
2. Files larger than
5MB will not be accepted. If you are using MS Windows you can verify your image's size by locating the file using Windows Explorer, right-clicking on the file using the mouse, and selecting properties from the menu which appears. (If your file is larger than 500KB, please save it again at a lower quality.)
3. Files must be in GIF, TIF, JPG or PNG format.
4. Make sure the artwork is in as complete and finished form as possible.

Does the file size of the ENTIRE submission (all three pages combined) need to be less than 5MB?
Is that limit (from line 2) supposed to be .5MB?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Gil
~edited for density~

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

nyartist1, I believe each page file must be no bigger than 5MB.
I hope that helps with resolving the confusion.

Posted at

that's funny because to me it reads like each page shouldn't be more than 500kb, while the total submission (packaged in a zip file) should be less than 5mb. :D

Probably your best bed is to go with the smaller numbers, just in case…

Posted at

Oops. thanks for pointing that out. It's a typo. Each page/file can be no bigger than 5mb. I'll get that changed immediately.

EDIT: It's fixed! Thanks again.

nycartist1
nycartist1
Posted at

Thanks everyone!

All the best,
Gil

Bradleyo
Bradleyo
Posted at

Does anyone know what APC is referring to regarding Platinums finincial status?

I haven't heard anything negative in that regard. Ive only heard the good things like comic movie deals.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

I haven't heard anything negative in that regard. Ive only heard the good things like comic movie deals.

What APC is referring to is in this thread.
Few of the posters make reference to these "financial troubles", but it appears to deal more with financial decisions as to Platinums decisions to how they spend their budget in regards to DD.

Posted at

Platinum in financial troubles? Oh hohoho my no…

In a completely unrelated matter, I can't read Hero by Night any more.

Posted at

What APC is referring to is in this thread.
Few of the posters make reference to these "financial troubles", but it appears to deal more with financial decisions as to Platinums decisions to how they spend their budget in regards to DD.

Not hardly, people aren't getting paid the money they're owed. And hey, I can't read HBN anymore either.

Posted at

Things like prizes are usually donations, things gotten at a discount, or write-offs anyway (as promotional materials). They probably have got them but don't want to announce them yet.

However the HBN thing is important. If I were entering the current Comic Book Challenge, I would be VERY worried that the CBC winner from 2006 has had to stop his comic because he's not getting paid. How could the current winner expect much in that case? Platinum seems to have made a big mistake in not paying the creator of their flagship titles, who also happens to have been their most vocal supporter. I am sure all the people at Plat are very nice and have good intentions, but DD seems to be in financially incapable hands. Platinum needs some tough-love money advice or something.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Things like prizes are usually donations, things gotten at a discount, or write-offs anyway (as promotional materials). They probably have got them but don't want to announce them yet.

However the HBN thing is important. If I were entering the current Comic Book Challenge, I would be VERY worried that the CBC winner from 2006 has had to stop his comic because he's not getting paid. How could the current winner expect much in that case? Platinum seems to have made a big mistake in not paying the creator of their flagship titles, who also happens to have been their most vocal supporter. I am sure all the people at Plat are very nice and have good intentions, but DD seems to be in financially incapable hands. Platinum needs some tough-love money advice or something.

so you are saywing HBN was not paid for their comic when they won 2006 CBC?
how about Gunplay in 2007?
so are you advising people should not enter the contest because these previous winners were never paid for winning?
I am asking for clarification.
Because that is really important to address for interested participants.
and please lets leave the sarcasm and bitterness from some posters out of this thread.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.