Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

Okay, I hope this doesn't make me sound like a moron but I'm a little confused about the synopsis part of the contest…

How much info about the story should be in it? Should one do a basic layout of all the stuff that happens in the story, including the ending? Or just something like you'd find on the back of a book describing the story?

Posted at

I have at least one entry going on this year with an artist buddy of mine…sadly, I think I lack the time right now to submit the second idea, which would all be done by me.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Okay, I hope this doesn't make me sound like a moron but I'm a little confused about the synopsis part of the contest…

How much info about the story should be in it? Should one do a basic layout of all the stuff that happens in the story, including the ending? Or just something like you'd find on the back of a book describing the story?
from the CBC site under rules:

With respect to your Synopsis, in addition to the other requirements noted herein, you must:

* Prepare your Synopsis so that you can cut and paste the contents into the online entry form for the Contest when you submit your entry. (You may also type in your Synopsis on the online entry form but this could be time consuming.)

* Limit your Synopsis' length so that it will not exceed one full page (8.5 in x 11 in) in a font no less than 10 points in size.

* Make sure your Synopsis is written in English.

* Make sure the Synopsis adequately describes both the concept and theme of your proposed comic book, as well as the storyline and characters.

to my best of my understanding the synopsis should give the reader a basic understanding of the book like you said like something you would read on the back of the book. Remember you want to catch there attention but not bog it down with little details. Plus you have to keep it in the length parameters listed above.

@ Trevor… sweet. I can't wait. :) should freakin' awesome!

Posted at

Hey, folks. Sorry for the lag in response. I was at the Emerald City Comicon this weekend with last year's winner, Jorge Vega, promoting his book and the CBC. In answer to what you get, we email all Top 50 copies of the contracts that the winner has to sign so that you can review them and decide whether to proceed before we even announce the Top 50, so you go into it all with eyes wide open and can back out if you so choose. Secondly, PLEASE don't let the travel part of things dissuade you. We're making some announcements later this week that will make that part of it a lot easier, but that's all I can say right now.

Katch
Katch
Posted at

Ooh, that sounds cool ^^ i'm already inking my three pages~
i'm not THAT far from San Diego but i would like to hear about travel issues =O
i'm going to Comic Con for the first time this year anyway solely because my grandma said if i entered this contest she'd take me XD

Top 50 out of so many people, this is so intimidating XP

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Ok, now I'm in. Gonna' put in a story I've been letting percolate for a while now. Can't wait to see how the top 50 turns out though.

albone
albone
Posted at

The only requirement for entries is that it hasn't appeared in print before

Sorry if this is an obvious question but what about printing your project during the Comic Book Challenge? For instance, there that show coming up in Chicago next month. Can we print up some copies of our book and sell it there and still be in the contest?

Posted at

Albone,
That would be fine. We exclude books that have appeared in print so that the rights aren't complicated and we can have a truly NEW idea out in the market.

-PD

SDulaney
SDulaney
Posted at

Clock is ticking and I'm still having artist issues, but I'm planning on entering again this year. Was already planning on being in SD anyway.

And for those not sure about how they'll get out to San Diego, check out the airports in cities between LA and SD. San Diego airfares are jacked up in part because it's the peak time of the year there, but smaller airports like Santa Ana and Burbank will have major carrier service, some deals on flights since they aren't major destinations and are only a couple of Amtrak hours from downtown San Diego.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Okay, I caved and I entered. Hope that I can get into the top 50, but there'll probably be stuff so much better than I've ever been involved with. Oh well, you've got to be in it to win it. And I want to win it. Mostly just so I can go into a comicbook store and see my stuff on the shelf. That'd be great.

One question though, I remember back in the 2006 contest you guys included the page rates at about $50 per page for the entire project team (Be they one or five). This still the same, or do you guys not make the page rates public?

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Okay, I caved and I entered. Hope that I can get into the top 50, but there'll probably be stuff so much better than I've ever been involved with. Oh well, you've got to be in it to win it. And I want to win it. Mostly just so I can go into a comicbook store and see my stuff on the shelf. That'd be great.

One question though, I remember back in the 2006 contest you guys included the page rates at about $50 per page for the entire project team (Be they one or five). This still the same, or do you guys not make the page rates public?

The rates posted publicly in 2006 were 200 per page for writing, 200 per page for art. – So overall I think it was 400 per page for the entire art team. Not sure if it's the same this time or last time or not. (check the contracts when you get them!)

Posted at

I don't think we've ever made the page rates public, Aussie Kid, although DJ makes a good point that it has been out there before, but everyone will be able to see the contracts before they have to commit to being part of the Top 50, so you can always evaluate then.

Posted at

I stand corrected, sir! Always happy to be corrected.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

The rates posted publicly in 2006 were 200 per page for writing, 200 per page for art. – So overall I think it was 400 per page for the entire art team. Not sure if it's the same this time or last time or not. (check the contracts when you get them!)

Sweet. Now I want to win even more, just so one day I can retire and make comic books for the rest of my life. Of course I'm probably just dreaming, but hey, you never know, now do you?

Katch
Katch
Posted at

I'm sure someone's been over this already but by "published" do you mean actually like in comic book form and sold or can you not enter things that are already on DD?
i'm slowly making my three pages and i already put one of them up, should i take it down? o____o;;;

albone
albone
Posted at

No Katch, you're fine. It says on the FAQ that online is a-ok.

Katch
Katch
Posted at

OK good, i wasn't QUITE sure but i wanted to double check =}
Thanks Albone ^^

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

I have a question! Do the judges have any particular preference for theme? The last two winners both appear to have won with action/adventure boys comics, and I'm wondering if that's the preferred style of comic you're looking for. Does anything a bit more unusual stand a chance? For example, something that's simply a people story set in the real world, or historical drama, or romance, or… anything without a lot of guns, violence, or… people running around in spandex? :)

I guess what I'm really asking is - who is your target audience for this end product, or your general target audience as a publisher? Any particular stats on this target audience - age range, sex, anything similar - that you might offer us? (Or is this going to be a part of our pitch as creators - who we think it may sell it to?)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I have a question! Do the judges have any particular preference for theme? The last two winners both appear to have won with action/adventure boys comics
That cause girl comics are icky >.<

Lesbian Space Pirates went through the process…

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

That cause girl comics are icky >.<

LOL! Boys are icky! :P

I'm not necessarily asking about incredibly girly comics; I wasn't thinking of offering some sort of soppy girly regency era romance or anything! ;)

Rather, wanting to understand the target demographic of the publisher. Does Platinum Studios consider themselves a more mainstream publisher, or a more indie one? If the creator of Maus had pitched, for example, would they have published or passed…?

And besides, Lesbian Space Pirates (aside from being hilarious) is definitely a boys comic. It's got lesbians, space, comedy and pirates! Duh! XD

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

And besides, Lesbian Space Pirates (aside from being hilarious) is definitely a boys comic. It's got lesbians, space, comedy and pirates! Duh! XD
Oh my dear god please tell me you were joking. -_-
Megan Rose probly just knocked herself out facepalming at that comment- assuming you were serious! :)

Pixie
Pixie
Posted at

Oh my dear god please tell me you were joking. -_-
Megan Rose probly just knocked herself out facepalming at that comment- assuming you were serious! :)

;) What do you think…? XD

I should have learned by now that sarcasm does not work well on teh interwebs. XD My bad.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Having sat through about 100 pitches now, I can tell you that I've definitely seen some slice of life stories, and just about every genre. Romance stories, coming of age stories, etc. I also think that's what's most fun about Comic Book Challenge– any genre could win or do well really, I think it's all about the hook.

Last year there was a comic all taking place in a High School I do believe, but the hook was that it was based on King Arthur's court with the story that was going on… I thought that was pretty friggin awesome.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.