Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
horseboy
horseboy
Posted at

http://www.wbay.com/global/story.asp?s=7963395
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080304/ap_en_ot/obit_gygax
Gary Gygax has passed on today. A man with a simple desire to make people happy that changed the world in ways that will never be fully appreciated. A man that made it "okay" for grownups to play pretend.

Posted at

Even though he had nothing to do with the newer editions of D&D, I think it is fair to credit him as one of the most important people in the role playing world.

Here's a lovely tribute.

Posted at

Some people were harsh and said his ego was too large, but I like to stop for a moment and consider what the entire roleplaying world would have been like without him. Boring and most likely nonexistent. D&D was the first, and everything from Final Fantasy, to the Elder Scrolls, owe a lot to Gary Gygax.

crocty
crocty
Posted at

I never really played D&D, but like Steely said, he played a big role in…roleplaying…

I mades a funny!

Posted at

good night sweet prince ;-;
As a DnD player myself, I'm sad to hear about this.
but at least he seemed happy in the end.

lucky7s76
lucky7s76
Posted at

I had no idea who Gary Gygax was until I read this… it is an awfully heavy loss, isn't it? :( And I totally agree with what Steely says. The world would be a totally different place without Role-Playing…

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

At least he died at age 69. lol! (sorry, my mind was in the gutter)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

69 is like that. ;)

Ah, without Robert E Howard and Tolkien Gygax would never have done the RPG thing, hahaha.

I'm not a D&D person myself, but I would say the biggest contribution to the world that GG would have had would be the broad dissemination and re-conceptualisation of fantasy archetypes: Dragons, gnomes, elves, wizards, orcs, demons, whatever; all forever redefined and refined along with new ones created.

For much of pop-culture D&D became the new primary source for all fantasy lore. That's a pretty big thing.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

If they're the 1st to come up with the concept of characters attacking each other's health points by rolling dice modified by attack/defense ratings, then they certainly influenced my life.

I never cared for D&D, but after learning the basic concepts behind the battle system, I started designing and having fun with my own rudimentary ones. Many hours of fun with childhood friends.

lucky7s76
lucky7s76
Posted at

I never cared for D&D, but after learning the basic concepts behind the battle system, I started designing and having fun with my own rudimentary ones. Many hours of fun with childhood friends.

Sweet. I'm not the only one who did this. :)

Posted at

Well now he's rolling D10s in that big dungeon in the sky. Farewell, brave knight. I'm sure you saved many a world in your time.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

I was telling my World of Warcraft guildmates about Gygax's passing and they said, "…Who's Gary Gygax?"

…Blasphemy. Pure blasphemy. Even Blizzard posted news about it on their official website, so the kiddies could know who he was.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Were you talking to the Alliance or the Horde? Everyone knows that all the brains and wisdom are in the Horde. Alliance is full of 12 year olds.

ravacomics
ravacomics
Posted at

OotS had a pretty nice tribute to him.

He's one of my biggest heroes. In respect for his passing, my group's pulling out an old 1E adventure for our next session.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

Were you talking to the Alliance or the Horde? Everyone knows that all the brains and wisdom are in the Horde. Alliance is full of 12 year olds.

Unfortunately I was talking to Horde guildies. My server (Mok'Nathal) is also full of 12 year olds, no matter what side you're on. Really sucks.

Cool comic from Penny Arcade today:

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

-6 Happiness

Always sad when a geek dies.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

This just sickens me….of course they have to release his new book at the most inconvenient time. Bunch of money-sucking f**kers.

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

I thought this was also an appropriate tribute…

GU Comics

:)

Aww… this one was actually pretty moving.

Prototaph
Prototaph
Posted at

Truly, we mourn the loss of the first and greatest among us. Where would our bespeckled, pock-faced, and overweight brethren be without the solace of Dungeons & Dragons? I know not and I fear what the answer might have been. So, light a candle, my friends, and roll your d20s for the man without whom our lives would have been that much bleaker.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.