Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
herio
herio
Posted at

Bostonians are extremely cautious by nature. I can hardly blame Mayor Menino for thinking as he did. To me it was a sick marketing ploy and one that was done with very little class. They didn't even bother to pay for the advertising yet they defaced a lot of coroporate store fronts with these silly little things. I can't blame business owners for being upset, I'd be too if someone put something up without my permission in front of my or on my store. I'd be furrious! So good that they're getting in trouble, because they should never have even agreed to do such a stupid thing in the first place. No matter how much money they were paid! So, hats off to Boston and I hope Turner Broadcasting gets thrown off the air for it. Look at the mess it caused! Massive traffic and confusion. Something us Bostonians can do without!
I don't see whats wrong with contempory pop-art with is over censored parents, that don't what to teach there kids about the darker side of the wrold.

sandy
sandy
Posted at

There isn't anything wrong with Pop art Herio, but it's just the way it's conveyed that can get out of hand. There are other ways displaying it that aren't going to break any major rules.

If proper presentation of the medium, and authorization is obtained, then yes, it's okay to display such material in public places if the owner of the business or organization says it's all right to do so. But if someone does something without the permission of a company or organization, then that's where legality is breached and something like this happens. It's all about doing things by the book. If you don't then the book gets thrown back at you.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

That press coference was ridiculous. The whole incident. The LED lights, the guys answering questions about hair, everything. Total BS.

It's not the advritisers fault that people over-reacted, but when it comes to life and death people are going to take things very seriously. Basically the Advritisers should apologize, and not do something like that again. And that should be the end of it.

But they shouldn't have been talking about their hair the entire time.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

No way.

As I argued, the things are so obviously not bombs, the authorities should apologise to the artists as well as the rest of us for turning their own f**kup and overreaction into a massive story to bother us with. Basically the Boston local government has shown itself up to be a complete joke.

Life and death? Yeah… in a Batman cartoon maybe. :)
That's the only place where those things could possibly be bombs. I could just see the joker planting those things! In fact that'd be a brilliant little cross-over and probably a wonderful way to make fun of those morons who got so panicked by this, as well as being an even better way to advertise it!

Posted at

people are still pretty raw from 9/11
so i understand why the authorities over reacted

better over react than under

Posted at

Nothing sends a message to terrorists like shutting down a city to disarm something that could theoretically be a bomb after it has been sitting there for two weeks.

That message: We don't even have to do anything anymore, everyone's successfully terrorized. But if we DO decide to do something, as long as we can get it done in less than two weeks, they'll never catch it.

Posted at

i dunno if you've notice, but boston's a pretty big city

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

This reminds me of that incident with Sony and the graffiti.

Red_Tide
Red_Tide
Posted at

This makes me think of the time in the early twentieth century when a 'War of the Worlds' radio broadcast caused mass hysteria.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

Bombs don't flick you off.

Why should those guys have to answer questions to the media about the situation? The media will only twist and contort their responses. It's a ridiculous situation. These things were placed in three other cities, and nothing happened there. I think someone just over-reacted.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Life and death? Yeah… in a Batman cartoon maybe. :)
That's the only place where those things could possibly be bombs. I could just see the joker planting those things! In fact that'd be a brilliant little cross-over and probably a wonderful way to make fun of those morons who got so panicked by this, as well as being an even better way to advertise it!

I think I'm going to steal that Joker idea.

But Ozone, consider that over the summer terrorists tried to blow up planes with everyday liquids and gels. It's not like they do things that we expect. So people are a little on edge. I suppose in Australia things look different.

herio
herio
Posted at

meda twistes a lot of thing like that litte gril and the adds were she talked about god and how the goverment thingks games are bad and adult carttons but they only showed a clip not it all so they made her sound like a deavile not makeing fare a pont . allso if it was all over the place sandy and no one looked cared so. it porably was just some one put there foot in and eavry one panicked and didnot check records

Alexis
Alexis
Posted at

I would disquise bombs as toys. Sweet little toys, or maybe a children't lunchbox. An EZ bake oven would probably be the right size.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

But Ozone, consider that over the summer terrorists tried to blow up planes with everyday liquids and gels. It's not like they do things that we expect. So people are a little on edge. I suppose in Australia things look different.
This is different though CCS.

Consider: With the size, dimensions, and construction of the things, if they did have any explosive material on them, in the places they were positioned (under bridges, high on building walls etc.), it would be impossible for them to cause any harm.

i.e. They would have had to have a LOT more volume to fit enough, material on them to damage the structures they were attached to in any significant way…
-destroying an aeroplane with a bomb is a lot easier than damaging a building ;)
-As I keep saying: at their size they could only be incendiary devices or antipersonel weapons, only able to strike a couple of targets from a very limited rage- all that means that if they were in fact bombs the positions they were placed would have rendered them completely harmless because they're out of reach of any targets.

Result: you're smelling like piss and desperately need a change of pants lol!

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

There's NO REASON that the marketers of this cock-up shouldn't have notified the authorities. Of course, the answer to this would be "it's easier to get forgivness than ask permission."

Sure, people overreacted. Sure they look 'freindly" and 'simple'. But SO WHAT? Just because something looks like it's not a threat doesn't mean it's not. Conversely, Has turner marketing now given bomb design ideas to terrorists?

And I disagree with the volume argument. Just because something that small wouldn't damage a structure, per se, a small amount of c4 or nitro would do a lot of damage to nearby civilians.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

And I disagree with the volume argument. Just because something that small wouldn't damage a structure, per se, a small amount of c4 or nitro would do a lot of damage to nearby civilians.
How? It's all the way up on a wall?

Heh, in a Mission Impossible movie maybe… The amount of damage it could do to a building would be pathetic. As for people, it's too far out of the way, with a broad range of only a few meters = one or two possible victims.

Face it: it's silly.
To be effective hurting people they'd need to have been in the middle of a pathway where lots of people are gathering… Or on the front entrance of a big shop like Wal-mart or Macdonalds. Think about it.

But yes, they should have let someone know and have gotten permission. As Sandy says; there are rules about advertising!

Posted at

why would they advertise where no people would be around?

Posted at

The reason they didn't get permission is because the mooninite is flipping people off, theres no way that would've been allowed. and sub, they were where lots of people could see them, they were placed around the most trafficked parts of the city, thats why it was so crippling when BPD shut those streets down. One was on a sign above a comic shop for crissakes

Posted at

don't people go on smoking breaks on the roof?

Posted at

Like second/third floor maybe, but no higher than that. Theres a video of them putting 'em up on youtube, they had like a 12 foot pole.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

How? It's all the way up on a wall?

Heh, in a Mission Impossible movie maybe… The amount of damage it could do to a building would be pathetic. As for people, it's too far out of the way, with a broad range of only a few meters = one or two possible victims.

Face it: it's silly.
To be effective hurting people they'd need to have been in the middle of a pathway where lots of people are gathering… Or on the front entrance of a big shop like Wal-mart or Macdonalds. Think about it.
If I really want to get into it, I can argue that it could just be an igniter, with the actual explosives/propellents behind the wall. My point is, just because we are in possesion of all the facts now doesn't mean we would not react the exact same way before. Or at the very least stay clear.

Sure, it's silly to you. But how many of the general public think have your intricate knowledge of explosives and weaponry? (note to self: keep an eye on ozone);)

Posted at

yea it could be one of those things if the police moves it, the whole building comes down from the C4 on the bottom of the building.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ok, ok, the speculation is quite fun really, it's nice and hypothetical. ^_^
Again though, if you're going to have the real explosives inside then why have an easily dismantleable (made-up word lol!) pretty sign up there? Tim McVee had a better method: just blow up the building.

Hahaha, I've got no intricate knowledge, you know me, I'm just a know-it-all who likes to act as if he knows everything about everything because I only know little bits about most things. :)
Ozoneocean: piss and wind.

I reckon this topic might have earned a place in the debate and discussion forum now.

Posted at

nah, you'll start getting your blood pressure up as people start getting off topic
hahaha

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.