Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
MiniMyth
MiniMyth
Posted at

This makes me think of the time in the early twentieth century when a 'War of the Worlds' radio broadcast caused mass hysteria.

Yeah! I thought the same thing. And no one ever prosecuted H.G. Wells.

I mean, I don't really like the idea of cartoon characters flipping me off as I walk down the street…I would not say that this was a good marketing campaign. I mean, obviously, since it was completely misinterpreted. But even so!

And what really gets me is that Turner paid out $2 million over this thing. One million went to affected parties…fair enough.

The other million went to Homeland Security. I cannot think for the life of me WHY a federally funded agency is benifiting with a million in the hole from this. It just makes no sense!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah! I thought the same thing. And no one ever prosecuted H.G. Wells.
That's because he'd been dead quite a few years… You mean Orson Wells- no relation. ;)

Heh, that moron agency just make terrorists have wet dreams. Shows them how much they truly own the place if that can happen,

MiniMyth
MiniMyth
Posted at

*cough, cough* Orson…Wells….yes. Yes I did mean him. >_>

And I agree. And where on earth does Homeland Security get off on getting all that money? How can that possibly be legal?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

*cough, cough* Orson…Wells….yes. Yes I did mean him. >_>

And I agree. And where on earth does Homeland Security get off on getting all that money? How can that possibly be legal?
Oh, please. GWB and co. took out 11 million from the Washington DC Homeland Security budget to help fund his NINE decadent Inaugural Balls in 2005.

The whole party is corrupt. That's news?

MiniMyth
MiniMyth
Posted at

True dat. But I think it'd be a whole nother level of corruption when it started bleeding into largely unacciciated private sectors…even beyond the freakin' Halliburton thing.

However, after looking into it, I should note that the information I quoted was not entirely accurate.

"The money includes $1 million to Boston and neighboring cities Somerville and Cambridge, plus the MBTA, Massport, state police and the U.S. Coast Guard to cover for the costs of responding to the incidents. Turner will pay another $1 million to Boston, Somerville, Cambridge and the state to fund homeland-security awareness programs and other initiatives. This will settle all civil and criminal liability for Turner and its guerrilla marketing agency, Interference Inc."

One of the parties that benefits is the coast guard, which is technically part of Homeland Security. But that's still not the same thing as the department getting $1 mil.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

This is money that could be used for education or to help people get health care.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.