Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
isukun
isukun
Posted at

One of the things I like about going to art school is that everybody draws. Nobody really cares about looking at your sketches unless you're already known among the students.

Of course, then you have to deal with the annoyances when you go home for the holidays. My parents know I can draw, and my mother seems to think that I welcome any opportunity to use those skills. Sometimes I'm just tempted to ask her if she likes to fill out tax returns during her time off.

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

I used to work in my old company where around 80% of my Chinese colleagues in the company are manga fans even when they are several years older than me and are married with kids. Few of my colleagues are real Otakus. <_<;

One day a colleague saw my sketches on a piece of paper and requested seeing more of my manga artworks. Thinking that there's no harm showing more of my drawings, I decided to send her an email with a few attachments of my drawings. However, she emailed it to everyone and quite a number of my colleagues in my office started approaching me and asked about my drawing and publishing stuffs. o_O; And few actually requested wanting to read my mangas but I kind of lied to them that my published works were not with me and were left at my parents' hometown. >_>;

Seriously, I'm the type of person who dislike displaying my drawings to everyone. Especially when I'm in a group of people who have the same interests as mine (in the case of manga artworks), I'd rather choose to keep it to myself.

Corvin
Corvin
Posted at

After that it was a year of customer service at a call center.

i am admonished. i barely lasted six weeks before i moved over to door-to-door vacuum sales.

yes, they still have those. no, it's not a job one should ever aspire to.

Corvin

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

Is door to door work easier/better than call centre work?
I've never done the door to door thing so I only hear about what others go through, and it's often not plesant!

Wait, does that fall into the irritating question category?? =D If so i'm still on topic!

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

Not only do I hate it when people ask me to draw a picture of them, I really hate it when they ask me dumb questions while I'm still drawing.:

"Why do you make those faces when you draw?"
"Why are you giving me lips and eyelashes? I'm not a girl."
"Why do you draw stuff and then erase it later?" (referring to wireframes)
"How do you do that?"

I've made it a rule that nobody is allowed to watch me when I draw anymore.

Oh, on a related note, I remember this one time this really cute girl in high school asked me to draw her. I was so in love with this girl that I went to an extreme to capture her beauty. But when I gave her the finished picture, SHE FOLDED IT!!!

I never spoke to her again. HAHAHA!

Posted at

But when I gave her the finished picture, SHE FOLDED IT!!!

I never spoke to her again. HAHAHA!

Reason why I always give scanned in prints of the original- not once (except in two exceptions) have I given an original sketch. Then I have no hard feelings, seeing as my work is not ruined.

Yet somehow, the people I expected to be careless with pictures (namely students who won a drawing by me through grades and stuff) were the only ones who stored them with reverence. One girl even put it in special plastic casing… awwww *melts* Everyone else I expect to respect the damn thing, never does.

But then again, even if they did not pay me, the students did work for the picture they got… so it's payment invested, in a way. Ah well.

Posted at

on a related note, I remember this one time this really cute girl in high school asked me to draw her. I was so in love with this girl that I went to an extreme to capture her beauty. But when I gave her the finished picture, SHE FOLDED IT!!!

Why am I imagining a Napoleon Dynamite type of portrait here…? :)

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

Possibly because you know me too well.

Eunice P
Eunice P
Posted at

To Niel:
Why do you make those faces when you draw?
Why are you giving some guy lips and eyelashes? He's not a girl.
Why do you draw stuff and then erase it later? (referring to wireframes)
How do you do that?
Can I fold your drawing?

jetfox
jetfox
Posted at

i get that people asking me to draw stuff for them too, well i used to but since then my art has slowed to almost a screeching halt and i'm not sure why.

i now make sims but since i'm only making them primarly for me and the process is long and difficult sometimes i get no requests and will take none.

Mark
Mark
Posted at

I usually don't get too ticked by the "draw me" thing because I dont get that that often, and when I do I do 2 things.
1 politely decline if I don't feel like it
2 do a very quick sketch of them and give it away. Usually a person who can't draw sees even my most slippshot work as something "good". That way, I've impressed them and avoided any real work

What really pisses me off is when someone goes "Hey you do comics right, I've got this great idea for a comic… bla bla bla bla"

After they're done I either say "interesting", or "I'll think about it". By that I really mean "I can think up ideas of my own, thank you very much".

Posted at

Have you ever had the situation when you're away or out shopping or whatever, and you parents have visitors round, tell them you're an artist. grab any old crap drawings you had lying around in your room and shows them off in your absence? Man, I hate that! You get home and you're just like 'awww crap! that picture was a stupid sketch I did while feeling angry/emo/bored and was never meant to be seen by anybody! Now she's shown it to my teacher/auntie/bank manager and the're gonna think I'm a total head-case/completely talentless!'
Another one my mother tends to do is complaining that my characters are too attractive. That made my laugh my arse off, beause nearly everybody, even the ones who like how I draw, at some point has commented on how for a manga style artist, my characters are abnormally un-cute looking, and how butch my girls are, hahaha.

The worst thing with people who ask you to draw them, is that most of them don't really want a truthful picture of themselves. They want a drawing of somebody cute and cool who happens to have their hair and clothes. I hate drawing people I know >_<

I hate when people ask 'why do you like manga?' or 'why do you draw like pokemon?' or dumbassed questions like that. I mean, the only answer that wouldn't take ages to explain and that they'd understand would be 'because I think it looks nice.' Worse is the question of 'why don't you draw realistically?'. I mean, seriously, that's a really dumb question! If everybody drew photogrealistically, there wouldn't be such a thing as style, and there would be no need for artists, bar photographers!

Rich
Rich
Posted at

It looks like we all get that universal "Draw me/stuff for free cause I'm your buddy!" shit.

Of course, I always love it when my family asks why my stuff is nothing but mindless blood and gore. Anyone with half a brain could tell that it is more than that.

And then theres the great "Oooh, you make movies in Flash? Make me a movie!!!" shit. I got that shit real bad in High School when it leaked out that I was a Flash animator. I eventually got sick of it and stopped making movies altogether in favor of comics. But then again, there is still one movie I am working on for someone here on DD…

CZweig
CZweig
Posted at

It looks like we all get that universal "Draw me/stuff for free cause I'm your buddy!" shit.
Yep. I've gotten one from some girl I barely even knew, too. It went something like…
Girl: Will you draw me? Please?
Charil: Okay.
Girl: Yay!
She then proceeded to run around aimlessly. Hello? I sort of don't know you and stuff, you sitting still for five minutes so I can get at least somewhat of a reference would be nice!

My favourite is when people ask me if I'm drawing SailorMoon. Now, I understand if they're unfamiliar with the style and are trying to compare it to what they are familiar with, but "Is that like SailorMoon?" would be a much more plausible question. Because if you point at what is obviously a guy (or maybe a masculine-looking girl with facial hair, we'll never know) and ask "Is that SailorMoon?", no, I can't help but laugh.

Other than that, I don't really get stupid art questions. I tend to get insecure when people watch me draw, so most of my drawing is done in the sanctity of my own room.

Posted at

My favourite is when people ask me if I'm drawing SailorMoon. Now, I understand if they're unfamiliar with the style and are trying to compare it to what they are familiar with, but "Is that like SailorMoon?" would be a much more plausible question. Because if you point at what is obviously a guy (or maybe a masculine-looking girl with facial hair, we'll never know) and ask "Is that SailorMoon?", no, I can't help but laugh.

ack, sounds like my own mother. she always think I'm watching sailor moon or always drawing Sailor Moon…

when obivously the style is different and stuff.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.