Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I am not usually the one to rant (too much), but I am slightly tired of people in gatherings looking at you like the resident U.F.O. when you mention that for a living you are an author/writer/artist or that you are a psychologist. (I have the added oddity that I am both…). They just give you an odd/miffed/intimidated/quirky look and then dish out questions like:

"Hey, you're a psychologist, right? What am I thinking right now?" (where I am at times tempted to answer 'your thoughts are too haphazard to suggest anything but immediate hospitalization')

"So you draw? Hey, draw me, here's a pencil and a napkin, and I'll stand still! Can you please shade me and add elegant sparkly wings? Preferably with a backdrop of a lake and full moon?"

"Ooooh. You're an author… right. But what is your real job?"

I usually don't answer- not because I'm speechless, but because I'd end up getting remarks from common friends (or kin) that I am being unreasonably unsociable. Ah well. Feels nice I just wrote all this out for a change. Would love to hear what you'd have to add to this list…

PhatScurl
PhatScurl
Posted at

i just hate it when people ask me to draw something for them. Which happens a lot.

I especially hate it when they ask me to draw something but don't tell me what, or when then do its something impossibly hard….

ignorance is a terrible thing

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

When I tell people I'm an artist they say "Yeah, you look like an artist!".
I don't draw things for people, but sometimes they ask to see my sketchbook.
…I don't like people looking at my sketchbbooks.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

I'm a student, and people assume I'm a student, so I don't have to answer questions like that. But if I say I draw, people usually ask questions, in which case I'm happy to show my sketchbook.

I think I know why Ozone doesn't want people looking at his sketchbook…

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

I was asked, "what the hell?"

I hate that question.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

You call these irritating questions?

Come on, these are child's play. Work in retail for a month and you'll learn what real irritation and annoyance is.

It's worse when people don't take the time to look.

"Hey is there overtime for tomorrow"(said while looking at the overtime clipboard)
"Do you see a sheet for tomorrow?"
"no"
"Then that would be your answer"
"But there's a sheet for today."
"…Right"
"But there isn't one for tomorrow?"
"See my previous question and come back when you've figured it out."

that happened today.

Posted at

Very frequently, when I am drawing or say that I like to draw, whomever I'm talking to asks me to "draw something". Sometimes, it's not specific, other times, it's themselves. Friends are especially guilty of this.

It's not so much irritating, as it is, well, maybe I wanna draw what I'm currently DRAWING…

Now, an IRRITATING question is,"Hey, did you draw that?" While I am DRAWING IT. How can I even answer that question, except with "Here's your sign!"?

Posted at

Come on, these are child's play. Work in retail for a month and you'll learn what real irritation and annoyance is.

It's worse when people don't take the time to look.

They are child's play when you don't get them often… I think it's better when people just leave you alone (if you mean by 'not taking the time to look' you mean at what you're drawing'). If you take it to the workplace (as an ed. psychologist I have worked as a teacher many times), things get much worse, I have to admit- like that one parent who had neglected to tell me that her kid was on MAO inhibitors and a heavy dose of ZANAX (which is um, Prozac's name in Greece), so when I confronted her about it, she huffed and said: "What, why should I mention her taking a couple of pills now and then? Isn't it your job to make her wake up in class!?"

… needless to say, I still have her picture on my proverbial dartboard…

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

At school, I was the only kid in my grade to openly admit I liked comics. I used to get asked a lot of questions about Superman or the X-men or something like that, which I hated because I don't read that stuff (Since they don't sell it down here. I've seen the volumes in Borders but don't really care).

Whenever any one saw my sketchbook, they'd always snatch it out of my hands and flick through it. Was I drawing naughty pictures? Was I drawing some one in this room. A lot of the time I was just drawing characters I had in my head or just some weird shit.

During the study period, where I was using the sketchbook, the teacher told every one to pose, then told me to draw every one. I sat back, grabbed my pencil and just drew whatever the hell I felt like. The worst part was, the teacher was about to give me a detention for wasting student's time when I reminded her that I never agreed to it.

Then, when I did a Gemini Storm page, they all asked me if I drew people having sex. I told them hell no. Then I get all these requests to write stories or draw comics about them. Fuck that, it's my hobby and I'll do whatever the hell I want with it

Rimbaum
Rimbaum
Posted at

Ugh. I write, both as a hobby and (hopefully) professionally. My dad took my notebook once, read through it, then took my pen and made corrections to what I was writing! *cry* I don't care if you have suggestions to make. Hell, I'm glad for them. I'll even give you a separate piece of paper for you to write them on. Just don't write in my notebook! >.<

What's worse is the kind of stuff that I write - a blend of horror and fantasy, with a good dash of yaoi thrown in. I'm tired of explaining the appeal of yaoi to the average person, so whenever someone asks "What kind of stories do you write?" I usually just stick with telling them I write fantasy.

But then some people have to ask me why I write fantasy, instead of, say, their preferred genre. Since fantasy is always "so unrealistic!" (I seriously got that once. Someone tried convincing me that I should write something along the lines of John Grisham instead of fantasy because fantasy was too unrealistic for them to enjoy.) I just try to explain to them that my writing is meant for me and the people who read it to escape from reality.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I just try to explain to them that my writing is meant for me and the people who read it to escape from reality.
So is Grisham, but for stupid people with not much imagination.

Rimbaum
Rimbaum
Posted at

I just try to explain to them that my writing is meant for me and the people who read it to escape from reality.
So is Grisham, but for stupid people with not much imagination.
Heh, that must explain why my mom likes those books so much. I personally find them boring, but I also have a weak spot for murder mysteries involving cats. Yes, I read Lilian Jackson Braun and Carole Nelson Douglas. The Cat Who… and Midnight Louie series are wonderfully funny :3 But many people think they're boring because they do basically have the same plot in every book. I read them for the characters and long-term plots that you only catch when you read more than one or two books.

Posted at

Ugh…I hate it when people ask me to look through my sketchbook. my sketchbook isn't full of prestine drawings that are all finished and nice, it's more filled with failed attempts and half finished drawings. It's kinda embarrassing. And then the whole "draw me" thing. Er.

Posted at

When people ask to look at my stuff I usually mull about not having my portfolio on me. Sketchbooks are off limits, I usually only have a few sheets of bristol board on me at a time so it's easy to dissuade people.

Usually only girls ask me to draw them. Typically I find men have more tact and ask me to draw tattoo's or something. To the former I tell them I can only draw them if they're toppless, which generally makes them drop it. To the latter I usually say somehting like "Oh totally, I have a couple projects I'm working on right now but give me a description and a rough sketch and I'll work on it" Then I act all like that guy from Kids in the Hall "must've slipped my mind…"

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Carole Nelson Douglas
I love her. I've never read the cat books though, her stuff just doesn't sell in the shops here, not new anyway. I like her fantasy.

Corvin
Corvin
Posted at

a month?

3.5 years, youngling.

ive seen everything from a streaker to a racist grandma shopping for her mixed blood grandson, to an old lady trying to stock her homemade cakes in our bakery to stockers racing pallet jacks down the aisles.

you don't know the power of the Stupid Side of the Farce. i had a question last night from a customer who shops regularly, passes me all the time, interacts with me regularly, and even says hi to me.

know what the question was?

"hi, say, do you work here?"

and does anyone WONDER why i do my comic?

Corvin

Posted at

People ask me what I do, and I tell them Graphic Designer. Usually that insights a look of total duh. Then I have to try and explain what a graphic desginer all does, which is fairly broad. Usually I end up pointing to something they are wearing with a logo on it, and say, " You know everything you read, buy, or see in print? yeah, I make the art they print on that stuff." Of course this leads to the artist question in general. I never go anywhere without my sketchbook generally speaking and as long as its a G-PG rated sketchbook, I'll show it. As mentioned, this usually invites the " Hey, will you draw something for me?" Question. I have a response that shuts 90% of people up.

" Sure. How much you willing to pay?"

Most people stop right there, but a few are curious. " How much do you charge?"

I usually reply with "depends. but expect to spend at least 50$ for something simple."

They normally balk at this and walk away. The serious ones actually pony up the money. Its a good way of seperating the chaff from the wheat.

GotM
GotM
Posted at

you don't know the power of the Stupid Side of the Farce. i had a question last night from a customer who shops regularly, passes me all the time, interacts with me regularly, and even says hi to me.

know what the question was?

"hi, say, do you work here?"

and does anyone WONDER why i do my comic?

Corvin

I got that question more than once. What was really sad about was that I was working construction at the time. Apparently I must have been wearing a day-glo green vest, a hardhat with HPE(for Hudson Paving and Excavation), and carrying a shovel for fashion purposes.

I've also gotten, "Why can't I go this way?" When an vibratory roller was clearly in the street not a hundred feet in front of her.

And people call construction workers stupid.

Vixus
Vixus
Posted at

Heh, that must explain why my mom likes those books so much. I personally find them boring, but I also have a weak spot for murder mysteries involving cats. Yes, I read Lilian Jackson Braun and Carole Nelson Douglas. The Cat Who… and Midnight Louie series are wonderfully funny :3 But many people think they're boring because they do basically have the same plot in every book. I read them for the characters and long-term plots that you only catch when you read more than one or two books.
I loved reading the Cat Who books.

In response to the initial post: As for the dumb questions, I've never witnessed any of them firsthand. I haven't actually pushed the point that I draw all that much because my drawing isn't fantastic. However I did draw a fantastic portrait of my grandfather once and was happy to show it to everyone because it was pretty damn good. I think people just ask questions like that to make chit-chat, I mean, wouldn't you feel more hurt if you didn't get any response at all? Also, don't forget, it's good publicity.

Heh, I like the responses to people asking you to draw them. The 'topless' one is the best because it's a win-win situation.

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

I'm a student now, but when people ask me what I'm thinking of going into, I say "I'm thinking of double-majoring in English and Chemistry." After they give me the dumbfounded look of mixing the two weirdest majors, they'll say:

"Well what are you going to do with that major?"

I've always wanted to reply with something along the lines of "Become a better person than you" but that's mean and I'm a nicer person than that. And by even mentioning the Chem major they look at me like I'm a nutjob.

I actually kind of like the attention I get when people ask me about my art. Granted, I usually don't bring sketchbooks out with me in public, but in school I'll doodle little stick-figure comic strips and people'll ask about them. The only thing that gets annoying is when people demand that I make more of them. I'm sorry, but I only make them when I'm bored/inspired to do them.

And then I get the people who scoff at me and say, "That's not real art. Those are only cartoons."

It's a mixed bag, I say.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

And then I get the people who scoff at me and say, "That's not real art. Those are only cartoons."
That reminds me of something… One day when I was on the train with my sketchbook, a couple of really young American sailors asked to see. So I obliged, because one of them was apparently an artist, (or so the other said), well this 'artist' sailor fellow was very young and very snooty and sort of scoffed and said "oh that's not real art" etc.
-I just smiled and put away the sketchbook, knowing full well I was heading off to my lovely studio to spend the day creating real art, while he was heading back to spend the rest of his time onboard a great big stinking aircraft carrier with a few thousand other guys, and I thought; fat chance you doing any decent art there mate. hehehehe.

I just found the idea of him trying to set up an easel and a big canvas and trying to find time to paint on a crowded, working warship extremely funny.

Posted at

People ask me what I do, and I tell them Graphic Designer. Usually that insights a look of total duh. Then I have to try and explain what a graphic desginer all does, which is fairly broad. Usually I end up pointing to something they are wearing with a logo on it, and say, " You know everything you read, buy, or see in print? yeah, I make the art they print on that stuff." Of course this leads to the artist question in general. I never go anywhere without my sketchbook generally speaking and as long as its a G-PG rated sketchbook, I'll show it. As mentioned, this usually invites the " Hey, will you draw something for me?" Question. I have a response that shuts 90% of people up.

" Sure. How much you willing to pay?"

Most people stop right there, but a few are curious. " How much do you charge?"

I usually reply with "depends. but expect to spend at least 50$ for something simple."

They normally balk at this and walk away. The serious ones actually pony up the money. Its a good way of seperating the chaff from the wheat.

LoL that's a very good way of doing things.

me, I've never gotten those kinds of questions very much as seeing I'm still just an student, and I'm actually trying out EVERYTHING– 3d stuff, painting, etc…… it's like I want to do so many things so at this moment in my life I'm just trying to find out what kind of art would suit me in the long run. I also want to be an writer.

that reminds me, the really irrating moment relating to the Artist/writer thing was when I was in high school, at the last year and everything I was doing those meetings about my future and stuff.
like which kind of college I would like to go to, blah blah… you know that kinda thing.
and when I meitioned that I've always wanted to be an artist and writer my whole life, and that I wanted to go to college for that… a lot of people had various expresisons of disain or something. and they kept on metitioning that I could easily change my mind, and end up choosing something else… something along that line.

apperatly, Artist or Writer isn't an real job, not like Teaching or whatever else is. and that annoyed me. I mean, I've always knew exactly what I wanted, and even studied into what it would take to be a good artist/writer, to see if I was even cut out for it… so I know that I want it, and that I wouldn't ever change my mind. I mean, I may change the types of Art and writing but it'll still be art and writing to me. whenever it be 3d, cartoons, or realstic painting…. or whatever else.

so that's why the adults' attudites and comments on that day annoyed me.

draxenn
draxenn
Posted at

a month?

3.5 years, youngling.

Watch your mouth, boy. :)
I said a month beacuse that's all the time you NEED to learn about how stupid people are.
I SPENT 5 years working at the same video game store.
After that it was a year of customer service at a call center.
and before that it was working at a radio station.
yes, in all these areas, the gems of our society come out to play.
True, pure glowing gems. each special in his or her own way.
So…far from youngling, my friend. I've experienced many many stupid people and a veritable cornucopia of retarded questions.
Did i experience more than you? No way of telling. I can say that my 1 year of customer service in the call centre showed me more stupidity than the 5 years at the video game store. But I have no idea of the 'quality' of stupid you get where you work. =D

Cheers.

Posted at

As for the dumb questions, I've never witnessed any of them firsthand. I haven't actually pushed the point that I draw all that much because my drawing isn't fantastic. However I did draw a fantastic portrait of my grandfather once and was happy to show it to everyone because it was pretty damn good. I think people just ask questions like that to make chit-chat, I mean, wouldn't you feel more hurt if you didn't get any response at all? Also, don't forget, it's good publicity.

Heh, I like the responses to people asking you to draw them. The 'topless' one is the best because it's a win-win situation.

I wouldn't agree more when you are prepared to 'push' any artistic point. And chit-chat is not chit-chat anymore if what you say or what you do or what you -comment- regarding another person or his/her work(as in, "hey, not bad, but I'd shade it this way and that way and draw the hair this way and that way so it wouldn't be as lame as it is now" when they have never put pencil to paper even once in their lives) is meant to downput or hurt the person in any way. I wouldn't feel hurt if I did not get a response when I haven't asked for one. Which is a point everyone who wants to 'offer opinions' in social gatherings seems to forget…

…on the other hand, when I do ask for responses, yes, I want to get them and I would be hurt if I did not get any… Plus, I am prepared for the entire scope and range of said comments ;) Like here, in DD.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

I refrain from telling people I write or draw. That stops that line of questions. As for about what I do to pay the bills, most people want to know what I'm hauling or where I'll be going next. The problem is, half the time we don't quite know what we're carrying and almost never know where we're going next until it's time to go there. I understand their curiosity, not everybody wakes up in one state and goes to sleep in another just about every day. As for people seeing my sketchbook, whenever I get around to it, I post it online, so it's not exactly off limits. (Sketchbook) …which seems to be broken. i forgot to add the patch to quact. oh well, the one that's up there is one of the better ones.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.