Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Exactly. Just how Christianity started out as an idea people had that there was some guy in the sky who listened to their every word and gave them spiritual gifts including life after death.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Didn't scientology start out as a fictional religion in a scifi book?

If I am correct, it began as a bet between Hubbard and some dude about making a religion to get money.

Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

The bet thing isn't for certain, but it is well documented that Hubbard would often tell his friends (usually fellow science fiction writers) that he felt the best way to make money would be to start a religion.

Posted at

i though it was a drug induced story then later on created it as a tax shelter of some sort. the reason why the big stars are in it was because they were blackmailed

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Exactly. Just how Christianity started out as an idea people had that there was some guy in the sky who listened to their every word and gave them spiritual gifts including live after death.
That'd not how Christianity started out Ccs… Come on man. It was a sect of Judaism, everyone knows that! No one just came up with it, it comes from a very long line of Middle Eastern religious belief.

One of the weirdest things about Scientology was their navy. They even wore uniforms! They still own a big cruise ship that they rent out when they're not using it for special Scientology functions. -it's another one of those things that exploits loopholes in the law; they can do what they like in international waters etc.
The funny thing is that Hubbard had a bit of an obsession for naval stuff in his writing days. He'd join fellow Scifi writers to have naval war-games with their little hand crafted wooden boats (a kind of table-top gaming, except they did it on the floor). I think he probably carried that with him when he became the founder of his personal religion and saw it as a chance to make all his dreams come true.

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Exactly. Just how Christianity started out as an idea people had that there was some guy in the sky who listened to their every word and gave them spiritual gifts including live after death.
That'd not how Christianity started out Ccs… Come on man. It was a sect of Judaism, everyone knows that! No one just came up with it, it comes from a very long line of Middle Eastern religious belief.

It's an absurd generalization of course. But the basic idea evolved from the cult of the desert God called Yahweh who only protected the Israelites into the universal idea of a all-powerful being who was accepted through having faith and subscribing to the teachings of Jesus Christ.

But the basic idea is that there is a guy up in the sky who helps out people who believe in him. Thomas Hobbes would probably argue that it was this belief of a higher power and the association of this power with an individual leader that allowed humans to break out of the state of nature. But this is all off topic of how stupid Scientology is.

Scientology really shows how f-ed up people are.

LilyRose
LilyRose
Posted at

Hubbard did say "Starting your own religion is the real way to get money" or soemthing like that.

Hey, now:

Did it work? Huh?

And not only that, but word is… he found out that you can take it with you, after all….

Mark
Mark
Posted at

well religion is the opium of the masses, although i think the masses really have to be on opium for this to make sense

Rich
Rich
Posted at

well religion is the opium of the masses, although i think the masses really have to be on opium for this to make sense

I think someone would need more than opium to believe that we are all the result of an alien overlord spazzing out and having people nuked into volcanoes…

(Is totally bashing Scientology right now…)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Look at this:

Scientology's naval fixation… this represents the manifestation of the dreams of a madman by a bunch of morons. These are pics of Sicentologists playing at being in the navy (psst Sea Org isn't a real navy)

More info on Hubard's Navy "Sea Org" at Wikipedia.
Also info on their flagship, the Freewinds.

Posted at

It doesn't help their credibility that you have to PAY to get their 'salvation'

the catholic church used to do that with wealthy people.
in some instances that practice is still around today with "charaties."
No, that was just an alternative if you were rich and didn't feel like going to confession. Anyone could go to confession and it would do the same thing. The money thing was from some corrupt pope guy.

F_Allen
F_Allen
Posted at

i think its sad to take advantage of lost people like that. Basically you gotta be so desperate to go for that BS and these days people are starving for anything to make life seem a little more exciting. Our societys got to the stage where its so apathetic, cynical and empty that are kids are worshiping godamn pop idol and the oc.

herio
herio
Posted at

cool i fell onto a rock and have the sign of a balldy draw cross and im not holly.
and yes people what eazy entertainment case all the movie writers quit affer there sequel craze hit in. and stars think there sun's, this is whats happing is that they have nothing to do out side so they wach tv, spots to much and hard to get to liberys are underfunded so theres nothing to read, really dont think going for a job its a good idaer lest see 500+ entrees and you they get the job so your bord you have no job ya dont like to reed so the nets out so its tv most of the time. so they wach fox

eather that or the suns are gods in pepoles eyes and to reach i higer plane you have to wach them 24/7

scientology ant as freccky as Mormon Theology is i dont meen to fend eny one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7v_V8qSIIo

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.