Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The trohpies don't always work right for us either. :]
Yep. I never got my top 10 and top 5 trophies. >:\

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

speaking of trophies, i got forum maniac, and didn't even notice.

sigh.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

speaking of trophies, i got forum maniac
That's supposed to be "Sex Maniac".

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

speaking of trophies, i got forum maniac
That's supposed to be "Sex Maniac".

trust me, i'd remember that.

meemjar
meemjar
Posted at

I don't want to sound cynical, but just how great is it to be in the top 1000?

That would depend on how many comics are ON DD.

I do understand that there are over 10,000 comics on this site.

If that's true than being in the top 1000 is proportionately being in the top 10%!

8D 8D

Stellar
Stellar
Posted at

I don't want to sound cynical, but just how great is it to be in the top 1000?

That would depend on how many comics are ON DD.

I do understand that there are over 10,000 comics on this site.

If that's true than being in the top 1000 is proportionately being in the top 10%!

But you should really judge it against how many comics are active or complete. That's the real competition, all the thousands of comics that have a handful of pages and last updated six months ago, don't really seem like a threat to being in the top 1k.

In other news, today Anthem (my little manga) is ranked EXACTLY 1000 overall XD I've never seen my rank as such a delicious well rounded number.

I was sad when I first read this thread a few weeks ago and learned the trophies don't work. It was like right before I broke the 1k mark for the first time. I got over it =) cause lack of a trophy doesn't mean I'm gonna stop drawing

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

cause lack of a trophy doesn't mean I'm gonna stop drawing
Now that's the right way to do it. :)

Posted at

So you get a trophy if you are in the Top 1000? Is there a lot of webcomics on this site?

Just…uh curious.

(Getting nervos right now.)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

So you get a trophy if you are in the Top 1000? Is there a lot of webcomics on this site?

Just…uh curious.

There are around 20K or more I think. But only over 14K that have more than two pages. How many of those are regularly updated I don't know… Possibly 8k at the most, 5 K at the least. That's just an estimate.

Posted at

When I started my new webcomic on Monday, on its very first day it was ranked
"#11,764 in Comic Book/Story #19,154 Overall"
Seems logical as a new comic it was placed at the rock bottom of the ranking, right? So I guess it is safe to assume it's 19154 or more comics by now (assuming any were added in the last few days). I'm pretty sure at least half of these are dead, heh.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

it's 19154 or more
The number is exactly 23021 :)

Walrus
Walrus
Posted at

Make a comic worth reading that focuses on a popular topic. Or do what I do and take other people's ideas and make a parody comic called Anime Remix, it got me into the top 100 that way. Stealing people's ideas almost ALWAYS works.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I was wondering about this too. I've had a few comics now break the Top 100, but I never got a Top 1000, Top 500, or a Top 100 trophy. I figured at first it was because of the "A" rating, but then my "M" rated comic made it way up there and I still never got anything. So, is that ever gonna get fixed? Hmm, maybe I could just make my own trophy? Yeah, it'll be real big and sparkly too…

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

If you do a comic strip, you're pretty much guaranteed under rank 2000. I started a couple months ago and have maybe 4 people constantly reading my webstrip. My daily webcomic always ranks at under 1000, no matter how low the views are.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Yeah, No Heroes is at 750 all the time, So it's not really too hard to make the top 1000…
forums help apparently…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

So it's not really too hard to make the top 1000…
It gets harder as you go, in a non-linear fashion. It's more of a logarithmic scale.
…ie. A comic at number 1 spot might be 100 times more popular than a comic in number 10 spot.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

The trohpies don't always work right for us either. :]
Yep. I never got my top 10 and top 5 trophies. >:\

How Bizarre. That's unfortunate :(

For some reason, I'm like the only person on DD whom every trophy worked for.

Just…uh curious.

There are around 20K or more I think. But only over 14K that have more than two pages. How many of those are regularly updated I don't know… Possibly 8k at the most, 5 K at the least. That's just an estimate.

That's more than an estimate! It's fact!

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

It gets harder as you go, in a non-linear fashion. It's more of a logarithmic scale.
…ie. A comic at number 1 spot might be 100 times more popular than a comic in number 10 spot.

I said top 1000, not top 10… I'd have to kill off charby and the gang to be able to do that! From what I've gathered you have to sleep with one of the admins to be able to reach the top 10. So ehm… Hey Ozone…<3

Posted at

Haha, you picked the right "one admin" there :] Oz is so easy…

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Oh but I'm open to others as well… c'mon Skool what do ya think?

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I said top 1000, not top 10… I'd have to kill off charby and the gang to be able to do that! From what I've gathered you have to sleep with one of the admins to be able to reach the top 10. So ehm… Hey Ozone…<3

To reach the top 10 you actually have to do a lot of work. (For the most part) Update every time on schedule (don't miss a day), be active around the net plugging your work, and have something decent enough to read. I mean I slept with Oz once, but it didn't help me to the top 10 (quite the opposite actually).

Amelius puts a ton of work and dedication into her comic, she's got the archive to show for it.

Posted at

Mmm, yeah, top 1000 is pretty simple to get into. My comic sucks, and I'm like ranked overall 222, 170 something in comic book/story. Just update regularly, just like whoever said that earlier…

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Amelius puts a ton of work and dedication into her comic, she's got the archive to show for it.
Yeah, props to Amelius!

Posted at

Getting featured is a really quick way to get into the Top 1,000.

My comic was hovering around the 2,000 mark somewhere when it got featured. I got a very nice spike as a result.

Of course, I have absolutely no idea where I'm going to reside once the intial burst of attention wears off. I somehow doubt that I've quickly earned enough new readers to stay in a powerfully lofty position.

Still, I'm better off now than I was a few weeks ago. It definitely gave me a base that I can hopefully expand upon as I continue to put out new strips.

Of course, it isn't up to you whether you get featured or not. I'll have to chime in with the others and say that the best method for earning readers is to update regularly. If you prove that you can consistently put out comics on a dependable schedule people will know that you mean business. They'll know that they won't be waiting six goddamned months to get another measly page out of you. That counts for a lot.

Plus, updating regularly will help you improve your abilities considerably. I think my webcomics making skills have improved exponentially as a direct result of how regularly I've been putting out product.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.