Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Ah. That makes sense. Well, how long will we have for voting after the sign ups are closed?
All votes PQ'd to me by end of day 8 July
If people want to post their preferences, that's fine but posted votes Will Not count in official tally, only PQ votes count.

@Nicky: thanks for asking about the sound effects. I'd like to get a recording, but there's no voting on these – I'll just use the ones (any?) that sound good. The script calls for:
Gps Beeping Sounds
Loud Scuffling Sounds
Men Grunting
Door Slam
Cell Phone Keypad Tones
Phone Ringing
Answering Service “Click”

Okay folks — we are up to 49 recordings. Nice Going!! Narrator is the most contested (with number 5 apparently garnering the most chuckles) and I suspect that some recordings have been sent in as responses to previous ones. And, hey, has anyone listened to Betty 4 yet? I think there's a world of Betty's that has yet to be explored :)

Narrator
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender04.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender05.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender 06.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender 07.mp3
Free MP3 download: Narrator_contender 08.mp3

Maxwell
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 04.mp3
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 05.mp3
Free MP3 download: Maxwell_contender 06.mp3

Betty
Free MP3 download: Betty_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Betty_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Betty_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Betty_contender 04.mp3

Andy Dangerfield
Free MP3 download: Dangerfield_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Dangerfield_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Dangerfield_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Dangerfield_contender04.mp3
Free MP3 download: Dangerfield_contender05.mp3

Eugene
Free MP3 download: Eugene_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Eugene_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Eugene_contender03.mp3

Janitor
Free MP3 download: Janitor_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Janitor_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Janitor_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Janitor_contender04.mp3
Free MP3 download: Janitor_contender05.mp3

Woman in Line
Free MP3 download: WomanInLine_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: WomanInLine_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: WomanInLine_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: WomanInLine_contender04.mp3
Free MP3 download: WomanInLine_contender05.mp3

Man on Phone
Free MP3 download: ManOnPhone_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: ManOnPhone_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: ManOnPhone_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: ManOnPhone_contender04.mp3
Free MP3 download: ManOnPhone_contender05.mp3

Female answering machine voice
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Female_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Female_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Female_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Female_contender04.mp3

Male answering machine voice
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Male_contender01.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Male_contender02.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Male_contender03.mp3
Free MP3 download: Auto Ans-Male_contender04.mp3

Ally Haert
Ally Haert
Posted at

This thing is turning into a monster….what have you created ayesinback?

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

Some of these leave me a little speechless, take that as you will. xD

I'm tempted to submit a second one :D

Posted at

DOOOOOO EEETTTTTTTTT!!!!

——–

Narrator 5 is pretty awesome, I must admit.

Wow, that's a lot of recordings! I can't wait for this to get under way, you should make it an annual event Ayes!

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

PQ voting? It'll sound a bit convoluted, but how about you ask the admins to make a new subforum just for the radio play? Make it so that no one can post a new topic, just reply to an existing topic. Then, create a topic for each character, and within each topic have a poll so people can vote on which entry they prefer. That way, voting's completely anonymous, and it's a lot less work for Ayes to sift through her inbox tallying it up.

Like Nicotine said, I too might do a second one :P

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Unlease your inner voice artist!

So many voice styles yet to be explored.

Posted at

PQ voting? It'll sound a bit convoluted, but how about you ask the admins to make a new subforum just for the radio play? Make it so that no one can post a new topic, just reply to an existing topic.

We can't actually make new subforums. Not on the old site anyway. (We plan to redo the forums when we get over to the new site, but I don't know how long that might take.) I'm not sure we'd be able to set "no one can post a new topic" on either system either.

PQ is a little convoluted, but it's relatively straightforward, and it's private. As long as everyone sends their votes as one complete PQ, all the collector needs to do is keep track of numbers in a table or something. (And maybe a list of people who have already voted.)

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

DOOOOOO EEETTTTTTTTT!!!!
——–
Narrator 5 is pretty awesome, I must admit.

Wow, that's a lot of recordings! I can't wait for this to get under way, you should make it an annual event Ayes!

I think I may. :D

And I agree, it should be a yearly event. I can't decide which ones to vote for. D:

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

PQ voting? It'll sound a bit convoluted, but how about you ask the admins to make a new subforum just for the radio play? Make it so that no one can post a new topic, just reply to an existing topic.

We can't actually make new subforums. Not on the old site anyway. (We plan to redo the forums when we get over to the new site, but I don't know how long that might take.) I'm not sure we'd be able to set "no one can post a new topic" on either system either.

PQ is a little convoluted, but it's relatively straightforward, and it's private. As long as everyone sends their votes as one complete PQ, all the collector needs to do is keep track of numbers in a table or something. (And maybe a list of people who have already voted.)

Many thanks for thinking of lessening the workload, NickyP!

But spreadsheets is me bread 'n' butter (seriously, my work title is business manager). What would help immensely is if Everybody PQs using the same format, a list like this:
Narrator-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
Maxwell-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
Betty-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
and so on, in the exact same order that I've been presenting them.

It might help to make yet again another thread just for the voting so this info can easily be found in the first post.

My question to youse guys: how do we want to handle the voice guessing!?

What I did last time (@oFaV and Nicotine, this is actually the 2nd year, but it IS very different than last year's) was to provide all the DD user names and then people had to guess which recording belonged to who. With probably 50+ recordings – that's a lot of guessing.

Thoughts?

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

What would help immensely is if Everybody PQs using the same format, a list like this:
Narrator-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
Maxwell-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
Betty-(seriously a single hyphen with no extra spaces)contender0[x]
and so on, in the exact same order that I've been presenting them.

It might help to make yet again another thread just for the voting so this info can easily be found in the first post.

So if I got it right, this should be an accurate example of how you want votes to look:
Narrator-contender0
Maxwell-contender0
Betty-contender0
etc etc.

A seperate voting thread would probably be a lot easier on you, since you only need to click in one thread and not in 20 messages. But then votes wouldn't be anonymous.. some people like it that way, I don't really care either way. Maybe you can make the thread, and whoever wants to remain unknown can just PQ?

As for guessing… How about, in the same voting thread, you also list out (in random order) the names of everyone who submitted a part? That way voters/guessers will have a much more narrow pool to guess from, than say, the other 99,999 members on the site.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

voting format

So if I got it right, this should be an accurate example of how you want votes to look:
Narrator-contender0
Maxwell-contender0
Betty-contender0
etc etc.
Yup. Like this:
Narrator-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Maxwell-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Betty-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Andy Dangerfield-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Eugene-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Janitor-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Woman in Line-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Man on Phone-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Female answering machine voice-contender[put the number of the recording here]
Male answering machine voice-contender[put the number of the recording here]
A seperate voting thread would probably be a lot easier on you, since you only need to click in one thread and not in 20 messages. But then votes wouldn't be anonymous.. some people like it that way, I don't really care either way. Maybe you can make the thread, and whoever wants to remain unknown can just PQ?
That's not what I meant. only PQ'd votes will count, but a separate thread might be good to
(a) remind people of above format in first post (so it's not buried in a thread)
(b) enable any voting discussion. or campaigning for that matter, if any are so inclined
© and then maybe post the guessing? sheesh – 50+ lines of guessing? that's what I'm not sure about. I'm definitely going to identify the people who sent in recordings (I usually go by alpha, but that's me), but matching them up to the 50 different recordings??!!?

Also, it would be great if folks in addition to those who sent in recordings would vote and guess! wouldn't it?

first day during this past week, no new recording :(

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

I would say let's guess who the person we're voting for is… but that wouldn't be fun if it were anonymous. I mean by that point, you might as well just outright tell us who's who.

Maybe we can play the guessing game after the winners are announced? You know, guess who the winners are? The downside to that is the other tryouts kind of get the shaft…

Jeez, there's no winning this, is there?

Posted at

its a difficult subject. It's definately more fun and get's rid of any bias when the contestants are anonymous. You could always wait until the end of the voting period, and then allow people to guess whose who while tallying up the votes (maybe a couple of days of guessing?) before finally announcing who they all are and who the winners are. That way, no one is left out. But then again, that is a huge amount of work, so why not just let the contestants reveal who they are at the end of the gussing period?

first day during this past week, no new recording

Haha, with 50+ recordings, I don't know if more are really needed!

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

You could always wait until the end of the voting period, and then allow people to guess whose who while tallying up the votes (maybe a couple of days of guessing?) before finally announcing who they all are and who the winners are.
:) I was thinking along these lines. Last vote comes in on the 25th; I'll post the names of the participants, and then people can guess which recordings are whose while I tally up who the popular ten are.

reminds me; Notice – If anyone who contributed a recording finds that they won't be able to record the entire role, please let me know Before the 25th. The winner needs to be able to do the Whole role. hopefully this was obvious, but if not before it should be now. For that reason, I'll also be announcing the runners-up (understudies?) who will assume the role if the winner ends up deadbeating. no clubbing of the winners, you ambitious-type runners-up.

Haha, with 50+ recordings, I don't know if more are really needed!
you're right; there's not a need. But we had several participants that sent in multiple recordings, so there's substantially fewer players than the 50 recordings suggest. Actually we're at 49, I was assuming that the folks who said they'd send in a recording will actually do so by the 25th. you know who you are

oh? names? look through the locked thread to see the "I'll do it!" posts.

Snevilly
Snevilly
Posted at

I'm a little confused. So is the deadline for sending in recordings AND votes the 25th? That doesn't make sense to me, so I figured I would ask and see what I missed. Thanks in advance!

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Thanks for asking Snevilly.

Deadline to send a try-out/recording: June 25
Deadline to PQ votes to me: 8 July

on June 26th, I'll post the DD names of everyone who sent in recording/s and guessing commences via posts. so votes and posts happen simultaneously, but in different, er, platforms.

Role winners announced: soon after 8 July (less than a week, but events in my life can be spontaneous, so I reserve some elbow room)

When the finished radio play is broad cast on quackcast:

hahahaha. I mean, to be determined. it would help if somebody would like to provide the sfx

edit:
I cannot adequately express my encouragement that, even if someone didn't want to send in a recording, EVERYBODY is welcome to vote and guess! Absolutely!!!

itsjustaar
itsjustaar
Posted at

I wonder if it'd be alright to suggest someone make some mock movie poster out of this, lol. Or at least some comical stock music straight outta The Shadow/Dick Tracy.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

@itsjustaar - yeah, I was checking out Jerry Goldsmith :)

@Everybody: We are exactly at the 50 mark! Woot! >>> "Plus's" welcomed

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

@Ayes and itsjustaar: Funny you mention that. I was playing around with some of the voice clips. I took my favorite Narrator and Maxwell, played them in order, and had my (unofficial) theme song playing in the background. It sounded pretty good when you timed it right!

I'm also all for an official DD Radio Play 2010 "movie" poster. I'd volunteer to make it if… y'know, I could draw more than stick figures.

On another note, I was wondering how you planned on actually doing the radio play. Record it live over Skype? Or have everyone send in individual mp3s for their lines, and someone else puts it together with music/sfx?

Posted at

I'd help out with a "movie" poster! That's right up my alley!

Actually, I was wondering the same thing Nicky. I think it'd be difficult getting everyone online for a live skype recording, what with different time zones and everyones secret other lives, so maybe recording everyone's lines and then mashing them up is the best way to go? :/ I don't know.

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

Oh - it'll be a mash. From my house we can connect with only about three on Skype before it gets very tenuous. So each role winner makes a recording reading his/her part all the way through - but only his/her part (will have to pretend to heard the other parts to emote properly).

it could be bad - it could be good. it could be SO bad it's hilarious

As far as a poster, I was actually hoping that some artists might want to turn the script into a comic – kinda like the mafia comic. posters could definitely be included, plus people could take a stab at making some pages of the storyline. anyone up for that?

Snevilly
Snevilly
Posted at

That could be very interesting, especially when you think of all the different voices trying out. There's a lot of room for creative difference just choosing different artists, but different artists choosing different voices would pretty pretty colorful. I feel like I'm at a buffet and not sure where I'm going to start. :)

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

I feel like I'm at a buffet and not sure where I'm going to start. :)
Good!!! I have a hunch I've been playing at this too long, but I am beginning to envision a Sens-O-Rama Experience! Really – wouldn't it kinda be fun to be listening to the quackcast while going through an actual comic, rather than just the words alone?

For artists interested – how would a first-come, first-serve basis work: First, post dibs on a script page (or 2, depending on the action involved) so we avoid duplicates. When you have the page done, post it here in the thread, and then I'll pick it up and add it to the comic, with a link to your profile. Who's interested? For those who want to do posters, we can add those in, too.

on another news front -psyche- I thinks me gots a score and those elusive sfx.

Last – we are officially at 50+ *oh yaz*

Snevilly
Snevilly
Posted at

Does it need to be "exactly" the script? Do we have a little wiggle room?

I kinda want to do some character designs. Where would we post this stuff?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.