Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

With fuel prices going through the roof, what advice do you have for saving money on it?

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Eye on the ball, oz. :)

I'm not here to discuss the validly of a TV show. IF you want to start that discussion, I suggest that you post in the media forum.

I am, and have been, questioning the validity of acetone, regardless of whom the research comes from, as long as it is a controlled and scientific process. If you claim that there is no way to do this, then isn't the validity of acetone squashed right there?

And yeah, racing companies probably have tested it. And maybe it even works, maybe it doesn't. But that doesn't mean you should put it in low performance a street car.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

HA!
Well you did ask :)

—-
In the end objective, validated, backed up results are thin on both sides of that equation.

-Logic based on past data would tend to indicate that on balance acetone probably isn't much good though. With the proviso that logic is always limited by the amount of current data available to it. ^__^

Posted at

Oh god shut up about acetone already

Posted at

Yeah! If you wanna discuss the topic do it in a comic thread or in the game forum or something! Sheesh.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

All right.
Improved fuel efficiency is all very well. but is there a product anywhere to easily remove enamel finishes from fingernails?
Would turpentine do it? Kerosene? Methylated spirits? What is a good solvent for the job??!! ;___;

—————
I go back to what I said before. More people should ride horses again! Yes, there are lots and lots of disadvantages to that method of ravel, which is why people used cars and bikes instead in the first place, but they're damn fun and don't use oil!
At least not directly.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

But horse waste doesn't just float away… It plops there and then it's your problem.

And ppl who own horses know that they're eeeeeevil. If the horse you're on is having a bad day (or having a good day), you are gonna get it.

And I actually did bounce over to Mythbuster's acetone topic. I have to laugh if anyone thought that was scientific anything. Ppl who tested acetone themselves, then posted online, often far better credentials and tested stuff over years. I just didn't feel like putting in the effort of debating over the sake of someone else's fuel efficiency. As you can see I still don't.

Posted at

No. There's a lot of evidence that this can damage your car, and mlai is telling people to use it.

On a totally unrelated sidenote, I hear having unprotected sex with strangers increases your fuel efficiency.

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

I dunno, I think that the qualifier mlai said a few posts back that "it isn't effective on newer cars" (or something like that) might be the missing link in the discussion.

If you have an older car (especially a car prior to the 80's), with a much simpler system and fewer pollution controls and a simpler (or nonexistent) onboard computer, then maybe it works and doesn't damage these older and simpler parts.

On the other hand, newer cars have more pollution controls and the onboard computer helps to maximize gas efficiency, both of these could lead to acetone damage and/or no increase in fuel efficiency.

___

One very easy method to save on gas is to bundle your chores. Go the the grocery store AND the hardware store AND the comic book store all in one trip, and minimize the mileage between stops as much as possible.

Sure, it's obvious, but most of these things are, right?

Posted at

I just hope that anyone who hopes to add or not add something to the gas tank of their car will do a bit more research than stuff someone said on a webcomics forum :) If they don't do their own research and something bad happens, they deserve it T_T I don't think anyone here is gonna agree on anything about the acetone thing.

horses of courses
Actually there's a Nevil Shute book called On the Beach which is about the last 6 months of human life in a little town in southern Australia, as fallout from a nuclear war drifts south from the northern hemisphere. I liked all the little things the author included in the book, like that all the gasoline comes from the northern hemisphere, and as that's too radioactive to get now, the people in this town have to walk or use horses or bikes or take the electric trains :D

Also when I was in Egypt they had horse-drawn carts and to keep the streets clean, there was a sort of horse poo catching hammock between the horse and the cart :)

Hey if you can't conserve gasoline, maybe you can conserve elsewhere. Like growing a vegetable garden- might mean less trips to the store, AND you get good fresh veggies! And maybe you'll learn somethin'!

Posted at

I just hope that anyone who hopes to add or not add something to the gas tank of their car will do a bit more research than stuff someone said on a webcomics forum :) If they don't do their own research and something bad happens, they deserve it T_T I don't think anyone here is gonna agree on anything about the acetone thing.

I've seen smarter people do dumber things. See: all those fuel line addition scams, people thinking that a car running on hydrogen somehow magically violates conservation of energy, etc.

Posted at

I've seen smarter people do dumber things. See: all those fuel line addition scams, people thinking that a car running on hydrogen somehow magically violates conservation of energy, etc.
My point was that they all deserve what they get :)

Posted at

That's good, because it means I'll have a market for my new fuel economy system.

See, what I do is I take your gas, suspend it in an electron cloud and infuse it with the power of COLLOIDAL SILVER which isn't, in fact, aluminium shavings with a 0.05% silver content at all. This new mixture causes your fuel to burn 220% more efficiently AND reduces overall emissions.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

APC, why don't you go back to the debates forum and take your vitriol with you.

I've already said that I will mention acetone for ppl to do their own research and make the decision for themselves, and I won't fall for any goading to make me waste my time doing re-research for some naysayer who just wants an argument.

Stop being an annoyance.

BTW, good idea about that unprotected sex. I dunno about fuel efficiency but maybe it'll dislodge that rod out of you.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

MY POINT was that you shouldn't make broad, unfounded claims, ESPECIALLY when you issue them like you are an expert and like it's a FACT. That's what started the whole thing.

You can call it whatever you like, but the first post saying…
Use industrial-grade pure acetone to spike your gasoline… I used acetone in my Corvette for years, and I drove a lot…You get more miles from the gallon, cleaner emissions, more power, and smoother engine. And no, it does not harm your engine or rubber sealants/tubings….
… was IRRESPONSIBLE. The poster made up for it in later posts, but wouldn't have unless he was called on it.

If the poster had just stated it as an experience, or in their opinion, then I would never had said anything in the first place. It's when you start saying things like they are FACT is when people start taking it seriously.

Posted at

MY POINT was that you shouldn't make broad, unfounded claims, ESPECIALLY when you issue them like you are an expert and like it's a FACT. That's what started the whole thing.

What I was saying had nothing to do with your point. :) I just wanted you guys to move on beyond something you clearly weren't going to agree over. However I have only prolonged the issue! Wonderful!

mlai
mlai
Posted at

Who the hell is going to pour acetone into his/her tank based purely on how I worded my goddamned post?

I purposely didn't mention the specifics on exactly what kind of acetone should be used, and how much acetone to be used per gallon of gas. Anyone actually interested in acetone would have had to do their own research, by necessity. They couldn't be misled by me even if they wanted to be.

The worse you two's attitudes are, the more resolute I am in absolutely not putting in my time to show you my research. All I will do is keep repeating that based on my personal experience, anecdotes of ppl in another forum who tried acetone after I did, and online research, acetone works to perceptibly and safely improve performance. "Mileage" will differ for different car years/models.

esu
esu
Posted at

Blah blah blah yak yak yak arguments.

Anyway, you guys have some good suggestions here, though they all make me wish that the US had planned better for means of public transportation outside of urban and suburban areas. I live out in a pretty rural place, and there's really no choice but to go by car most everywhere. To the store, to my school. What I wouldn't give to have a bus line or something, even if it's just one or two (which would be enough to serve this town in the first place, honestly.)

The thing that gets on my nerves and that I've seen on other forums, though, is when people assume that every place has public transportation or areas, whether it be stores, work or school, within walking distance because of their own bias. As much as that would rule, some of us are still stuck in no man's land. It's a shame, because I'd like to be a lot more fuel efficient, but it's next to impossible for me to do so.

Oh well, at least I'm conscious of it until I can get out here, then stuff can be done. :/

Posted at

Mororbikes are popular here, probably because cars end up getting stuck in lines and mororcyclists can go to the front if they want. :) I've considered getting one, but A: lessons are expensive and time consuming, and B: then I'd have to buy a bike.

All the cost of it would kinda defeat the purpose of getting one, and then I wouldn't want to ride it in the pouring rain, and I couldn't use it for errands or taking my dog somewhere.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

The thing that gets on my nerves and that I've seen on other forums, though, is when people assume that every place has public transportation or areas, whether it be stores, work or school, within walking distance because of their own bias. As much as that would rule, some of us are still stuck in no man's land. It's a shame, because I'd like to be a lot more fuel efficient, but it's next to impossible for me to do so.

get out of that place while you can !!! the suburban sprawl lands are going to resemble Afganistan in the future. especialy if you live in a desert where all of the water and food is imported .
the American lifestyle is unsustainable !

Posted at

4. OPEN THE WINDOW AND USE THE VENTS, NOT THE AIR CONDITIONING
Even with how much common sense this seems to be, I've had people tell me, "I never even thought of that…" Really, it's not that hot out there, is it? The reason most people won't use the window is because they "can't hear their radio". Boo-hoo. It's either turn the radio up and deal with a bit of street noise, or spend more money on gasoline.

Speaking as someone who lives in an area where it IS, in fact, THAT HOT: It gets up to and over 120 degrees (F) around here in the summer. The AC sometimes just takes the edge off of feeling like you're cooking. The rest of the year, though, I agree- 90 degrees or lower, just to ease the tax on your tank, try lowering the window and sticking it out. :D

Tips for saving money/gas:

Like what a lot of people here have said, WALK. This gets a little tougher in the summer for people who are in hotter areas, or winter for those in colder areas, but generally speaking, humans can do a lot of walking! It takes a little longer to get around to where you're going, but it saves on gas and will help you feel better. So! It means spacing out your time a little differently- if you know it'll take you half an hour to walk somewhere, leave half an hour earlier than you would've in a car. If it's a quick run to the convenience store just a mile away(Yeah, I know that's a daunting walk for many people), try hoofing it. It gets easier the more you do it, and you'll save money.
For those who are not able to be on their feet for that long, bikes are also useful.

I wanna point out, though, that I'm aware not everyone has the luxury of being withing walking distance of everything, or even walking distance of a bus. That of course is subjective- I live a mile from the bus but still take it when I can, including walking TO it- but the advice I'm offering applies to those who ARE within the walking distance of these things.

If you're in the age bracket/money bracket where this applies, getting a hybrid vehicle helps A LOT at the pump. My father owns a hybrid prius, and he regularly gets a minimum of 45 MPG in that thing. He can often get 50-55 MPG, if he drives smoothly(slow acceleration, so on). It costs a lot in the short term, but if you're planning for the long-term it WILL make a difference.

And just in general- if you're comfortable at 65 degrees, try pushing the envelope on your comfort by kicking it up to 70 degrees on your AC. Or even 75. Or higher. If you can tolerate it, it will save you a BUNCH on bills. Use fans, or ice from the fridge- I make makeshift ice-packs with a towel and some ice, myself- or take a cold shower, or dunk your head in cold water. Try to get used to the heat rather than the cold- remember, you can always put something on if you're cold, but there's only so much you can take off if you're hot!

Also! Close blinds/curtains on windows, that will cut down on energy usage for the AC. The darker you can afford to keep your house, the cooler it will be.

Turn it off when you leave. The computer, the fan, the light, the TV. Every small thing you turn off saves you on energy bills. Use sunlight for lighting if you need it, instead of the desk lamp. Maybe even, instead of watching TV, read a book. Write. Draw. Have at non-electrical activities. It's surprising how much we've forgotten we can do to entertain ourselves/each other without being wired into some electrical device.

Buy a water purifier for your faucet, to cut out all the yucky stuff that comes from the tap. Then, buy one (Or more!) bottles of water, drink them whenever, and just refill them from the tap. That saves on spending a lot on bottled water, and it recycles instead of just dumping.

Short showers, or take baths. Conserve your water, AND how much water your waterheater has to, uh, heat. :3

I know that some of what I say isn't applicable to everyone, and I am sort of talking about "here in the US", because that's where I am. I can't speak for other countries because, well, I don't live there.

Posted at

I'm simply just not going to get a car. I have a bike. I'll use that.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

1) Build a UFO that runs on anti-gravity.

2) Learn to astral travel. Hopefully your boss will understand why you're not physically present at the job. Tell him that your soul is there and is doing the job in the astral plane. That you're NOT absent from work.

Posted at

ok so you think you have it tough do you ?! well here in Iceland we have to pay around 182 krona a liter … that´s about 10000 krona for one full tank of diesel … 182 krona is around 3 dollars

Posted at

ok so you think you have it tough do you ?! well here in Iceland we have to pay around 182 krona a liter … that´s about 10000 krona for one full tank of diesel … 182 krona is around 3 dollars

…And where I am, it's over $4 a gallon, and it costs over $50 to fill a tank, more if you gotta use any fuel other than unleaded. It's tough *all around*, and this thread isn't about "who has it worse", it's about how to save money.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.