Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The duck's 12 step program. Post here if you found a bug/design error.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

El Cid wrote:
It's true! I knew I wasn't crazy! I tried uploading the same image to my image locker and comparing the version it displays in my comic. HUUUUGE difference! The comic templates are compressing the bejeezus out of the images. That… may be something I'm not able to live with.
… I had to see it on my own comic to believe it, but it's true.

(right click and choose "View Image" to see full size.  The forum's formatting will shrink it.)
I usually save the comic images I post at about 75% Quality on the compression (9 out of 12 in Photoshop).  What appears on The Duck seems to be about 50% (6 out of 12) or possibly a bit less.  Red portions of your images are always the first to suffer when compression gets out of hand, and you can see the red falling apart in my image and El Cid's.
So now I have to wonder…  is The Duck adding the compression as each image is displayed (in a temporary way), or did all of the images we've uploaded get run through a permanent batch process when they transferred the site?  If it's the latter, and my entire backlog of comic pages is permanently muddy, I will be displeased.

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it.  Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork.
I checked my own comics and others and all pages have that compression noise around everything.

Linework, ballons, text. It all looks terrible… :(

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE HTML EDITING?!? 
… thats it, folks.  ;)

Posted at

VegaX wrote:
I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it.  Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork.

That.

Is.

Fucking.

Rediculous.
I am really pissed off about that. What's the point of having a site where you upload artwork, only to have it compressed as made to look like a dog's breakfast? It defeats the entire purpose!
I'm sorry, but that is just rediculous!

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

VegaX wrote:
I'm afraid that it most likely is permanent, unless they migrate the pages again using no compression this is it.  Which of course is devestating. Gone are any chance of displaying crisp artwork…

When I heard they were going to shrink the images to 960 pixels across, I pretty much anticipated that my archive was going to be compressed beyond recognition. I accepted that and was fully prepared that I'd likely have to re-upload higher quality versions at some point when the site was back up. I do not expect them to go back and retransfer everyone's images at full quality, if that's even possible.

What I did NOT anticipate (and still find hard to believe) is that all new comic pages being uploaded now are to be compressed as well. That, I don't understand. Not only is it not acceptable, but it's not even sane! Is this an intentional new design feature or did somebody just forget to remove the compression feature after the site went live? That's the only explanation I can even fathom. Really, I'd like to hear it from the horse's mouth that it is the intention of the powers that be to run this place as an art site that does not properly display art.

herio
herio
Posted at

i just got this and why cant i start a new comic

Posted at

@Herio

Oh wow. That's really… really weird. Is it coming up every time you try to do anything?

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I got the same thing when I uploaded a new page just now. The page did go through, however. But that "SMTPRecipientsRefused" screen is just annoying.

Posted at

Product Placement wrote:
abrahamlincoln wrote:
How about not being to log in?
That might just be a damn problem.
 Yep. Had that issue too. The usernamebar is case sensitive, so you have to watch out how you write your name.
Seriously, you guys really should get rid of the case sensitive thing in names. It's just a recipy for cases where people sign up, using names of other users. I can totally see people doing that to mess with others.
Size of my username: I am the 1337 Master (20 characters, 16 without spaces, supposedly 3 capitals)
Size of my password. ******************* (19 characters, supposted to be 0 capitals)
but apparently there's capitals I don't know about. :|
And Reset password doesn't (or didn't) work when I tried it.
And I might have just tried every variation.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Its compressing images?
Seriously?
Well I tried to update on the Duck today and it worked….sorta.
It did update, but it gave me a wierd error message everytime, making me think it hadn't so I updated the page 3 times.
"You're seeing this error because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file. Change that to False, and Django will display a standard 500 page."
Any idea what that message means?
Also, It sent notifications to people that I had updated, when I deleted the duplicate pages….which is clearly just ridiculous.
I am feeling so glad I set up my own site before all this stupid revamp crap began.

Posted at

PQ's are working again. (or at least for me)

When replying, forums show posts not by closest to you but back a bit and then to the end. (if that makes sense…)

And…reccomendation for when people get "the Bad Gateway thing", close the browser and reopen it. If not you'll keep getting them for a while.

And I created and updated a comic (3 times), without error, so I don't understand where the issues there are coming from having not run into them.

BTW-putting enters in posts is stupid yet I can still do it.

JUST ANNOYING though.

Posted at

and for some reason there's five random forums with absolutely no posts in the forum games.

skm28
skm28
Posted at

I can log in, but cannot find preferences. I was looking for that because it seems my permission to view any "A" rated comics seems to have disappeared.  So evn though it shows I am logged in, it keeps telling me I'm not when I rty to view some comics

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

abrahamlincoln wrote:
PQ's are working again. (or at least for me)
God knows how this post will turn out.
I received a PQ sent after this site went live, but the archive of PQs is still inaccessible.  And, it looks like the only way to PQ someone is to find a post they've made in the forum.  I don't see how to {PQ them from their profile or their comic.

Abe = 1337.    It explains so much about Mary Todd.

Posted at

dragonrider wrote:
Somewhere along the line here it seems a bit tacky to me for another hosting service to repeatedly post their banner in this forum. they have made no comments on the posts just posted their banner.
The only problem I have had that I haven't seen someone else post, Lucky Dawg and Hot Rod both posted updates, other people commented on the updates but all I got was a blank page.  Running Firefox 5.0 Windows 7 with all current updates posted.
I attempted to re-upload a page, since my last batch of updates for Lucky Dawg and Fighting Stranger the pages themselves vanished.  But when I tried to put up the page, it said the request entity was too large.
Not too mention, as others have pointed out, all my pages are fuzzy.  So now what?  Do I go back and shrink every single page to meet new Drunk The Duck standards?
Having a new website with fancy bell & whistles is nice, but not at the expense of image quality.

Posted at

Several problems:
First and foremost, whenever I try to upload an image I get a page full of code of some sort with a message down the bottom saying:
"You're seeing this error because you have DEBUG = True in your Django settings file. Change that to False, and Django will display a standard 500 page."
I also seem to be unable to update my thumbnail and header, as whenever I try to do so and press save, I get the failed to load picture image (the cross thing) and nothing changes.

Mr Kaos
Mr Kaos
Posted at

Finally got in here.. the logins kept to lead me to a debug page. But now it is fixed which is good. :)

about the favourites. shouldn't the updated ones be on the top?

the list with favourite is too senstive. Every time i click on it it shows up.. so i move the mouse to the list and it goes away before i can blink. :/

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

I do strongely hope and believe that the image compression thing is just a big and clumsy mistake. The whole thing feels so silly it can not possibly be a planned implementation. Right?

Question is, what will be done to fix it? Re-copy all the comic images again? For now i hope that they can quickly remove the compression on NEW uploads, and then we're somewhere at least. As it is i see no point in uploading anything when the pages end up looking like crap.

darth_paul
darth_paul
Posted at

Yep, my pages are compressed and pixelated too. As was said above it really shows up in anything that's red. Haven't tried to change the page formatting or add any headers or buttons though. Will do it when I have more time later. Also, for some reason I can log in on my PC running Windows XP w/ Firefox 5, but I can't log in with my iPhone, although I could yesterday.
Also, everyone's comic start dates are showing up as June/July 2011, so that's something that will need to be fixed.

demontales
demontales
Posted at

@Lincoln:
on your other account your name is viewed like this:
I Am The 1337 Master
I imagine that usernames show like they are typed in

Posted at

I'm hoping based on things like people's PQ boxes starting to work again that means someone is doing something to fix things… but I dunno, it is Sunday after all. :]

Little Swanwrote:
Also:
~ My DD alerter doesn't work. I'm assuming that this is probably because of the site changeover, any new addresses/coding and such… but will there be a new Alerter released at some point which is compatible?
They plan to have an API for the new site which would mean they (or someone industrious) could create a future version of the uploader or other apps/widgets or whatever. However yeah, from my understanding the DD Alerter is not going to work from this point on.

darth_paulwrote:
The time stated when I make a post seems to be off. I'm in the Eastern US time zone & when I made a post @ 6 PM it said that I made the post @ 3 PM. Is the site just set to display one time zone now? Shouldn't it be set to show up as what a user's actually is?
Well, the old site never let you customize the time displays either, but it's something we've said would be nice for people to have as far as site personalization goes. Since the server is in Pacific time that's what all the time displays are.

Chernobogwrote:
All right, I haven't seen anyone else mention it, so here goes.
Stats.
They do want to have much more robust stats, but it wasn't something they could finish in time for launch. It's on their to-do list. I can't explain why the pageviews and such aren't working though, I've got some numbers in Abby but that could be because it was one of the test comics. None of my other comics have pageview numbers. I also don't know why it says all the comics launched on July 6th, they should have populated that field with the correct info from the old site…

Speedballwrote:
Before, the "comics you own overview" page would have a little panel showing off the most recent comment someone made on one of your pages. There's nothing like that now.
They do also want to have a better comment management system, that's something we were talking to them about from the beginning. I think that's on their to-do list too, but I dunno what order they might be approaching those. (After fixing all the current bugs, for sure.)

abrahamlincoln wrote:
Size of my username: I am the 1337 Master (20 characters, 16 without spaces, supposedly 3 capitals)
Your username is I Am The 1337 Master
Unfortunately I can't force a password reset or anything from my end. :I

The Django messages are from some setting on their end, I think it's how they collect information for working out bugs. You saw it a lot on the preview site. I suspect it's mostly turned off now but maybe they've enabled it for areas they're having problems with?

Image compression
I am very upset to hear about this. In Lawrence's messages and announcements (publicly!) he said that people's migrated images would NOT be touched (unless they were over 950 pixels wide), and I'm sure we'd worked out in various admin meetings that images uploaded under 2mb wouldn't be messed with either. I am really angry to find out that something has actually happened to people's images. I'm going to email them specifically about this.

Posted at

Sorry about the formatting in my posts. I don't even know why it is doing that when I try to do multiple quotes in one reply. The text editing box isn't very helpful in that regard.

Posted at

oh hello one username I didn't try
(it's funny cause I'm 1337 now and my post is still being put under abraham…hmm…)

Posted at

abrahamlincoln wrote:
oh hello one username I didn't try
(it's funny cause I'm 1337 now and my post is still being put under abraham…hmm…)
It shouldn't be a case-sensitive field anyway. But that's obviously a problem, having it post under the wrong log-in. did you log OUT of abrahamlincoln before logging in to 1337?

I've just found out the image compression thing was unintentional, so they will investigate it and get back to me.

Posted at

OK, bug report, can't delete unwanted comments on your own profile. They appear to delete, but when you reload the page they're still there. (Then if you try to delete them again, all the ones you deleted before disappear.)

I also can't do it as an admin, so although it could be because these are actually the comments you left on other people's profiles so maybe they only have the permissions to delete it, I should be able to as an admin. So maybe it's something else.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.