Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Seems you didn't quite keep up with some details, Abt. Virtus is also ruled out.
Oops! Fixed.

I'm crazy interested in the HA Adventures idea. I really want to get the ball rolling on this.
Here's a thought: We could start out with a short prologue that chronicles the events leading up to HA #1, and how it ties into the HU universe, etc.
If HA chapters 1-3 are done correctly, that won't be necessary. Or am I misconstruing your post?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Meanwhile…
dcole sent me a great script for an Acrobat/Bombshell 6-pager in the HU Adventures vein. I don't know if he's already in negotiation with a specific artist, so I thought maybe we'd have some volunteers…? :P

Brad
Brad
Posted at

I've been looking for a short project to draw. And, I love Acrobat.

Brad
Brad
Posted at

Cool, what do I do?

dcole
dcole
Posted at

Cool, what do I do?

Well, I've polished the script, and with Abt_Nihil's approval, I'll send you a copy! Love the Shell art on your sketchbook page, by the by!

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

So, is anyone working on origin stories?

I like the idea of having a short 2-page primer on every character (that is, every character who's slated to appear in one of our stories; so eight for now). Actually I think it should be a prerequisite. It doesn't strictly have to be an origin story, but rather something to show what the character's about. Any reader should have a clear idea after reading this, and it'll definitely help the writers too (- even I will often find myself asking: okay, I know this character can do this or that, but what the heck is this or that character about?)

I'll do one about Bombshell, and I expect everyone to at least start planning one for their own character.

Posted at

Well for Peligroso, I wrote a dream/origin story, I have to go back and edit it and write a bit more to it since it was me trying to write it in script form and it came out a jangled mess of pain >,<

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

These primers you speak of, are we talking full comic pages, or are we talking pinups with words on them?

As for the content, I think I understand what you need. Like, for Azumorph, I could say that he has an extensive knowledge of superhero lore, and that he's one of the most famous heroes in Australia, and his work with HU is making more famous around the world. Is that what you're after?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

These primers you speak of, are we talking full comic pages, or are we talking pinups with words on them?

As for the content, I think I understand what you need. Like, for Azumorph, I could say that he has an extensive knowledge of superhero lore, and that he's one of the most famous heroes in Australia, and his work with HU is making more famous around the world. Is that what you're after?
I'm thinking of actual comic pages - I don't want people to feel like they're reading character profiles. Comic pages don't necessarily involve panels, so this is still only a vague guideline. In any case, I'd like to have something resembling a comic story, not a character profile. It should show your characters doing something that says something central about them. You should communicate what you think is essential to your character. What's his approach to being a superhero? To life in general? What's it like being him or her?

I'm just saying, in case you don't want to reveal your character's origin story (like here), you should come up with something which will still have the reader get the feeling that he or she knows and understands the character.

Posted at

Is there a due date on the two-pager origins thing? It might help move things along.

Posted at

I'm still finishing up Azumorph's 4-page origin story from a while back

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Is there a due date on the two-pager origins thing? It might help move things along.
Posting these before HA #1 starts would be best, so: end of the month. This should really be something quick. But first I'll need to hear back from everybody whether or not they're willing to do this.

So, the specifics:
Create an origin story for your character! If you don't want to reveal their origin, try to boil down their essence in a short story. Page count: Between 1 and 4 (preferrably 2). The following are *theoretically* due till the end of February:
VORA / COMET KID / AZUMORPH / BOMBSHELL / SHELL / RELIK / VIRTUS / TITAN

Theoretically, because we'd first need to know who would do what.
- AzuJOD & Wes_Nero123 are doing the one for Azumorph.
- I imagine Sebastian would want to handle the one for Virtus by himself (?), as would I for Bombshell.
- What we've seen in HU: The Stormfront would suffice for Titan. We might do a little collage for her. New art would be optional. Something similar applies to the first chapter of SHELL: We've seen his origin in a pretty detailed way before, it's up to fukujinzuke what he'd like to do.
- Tempest_Lavalle has made a pretty detailed character profile for Vora… I don't know whether she'd like to do a short extra origin story (or whether she has the time).
- Will have to consult Symple_Symon about Relik
- Hero wrote a script for Comet Kid's origin, I'll provide artwork.

Posted at

Well, I should be able to make something within the month, but I'm not making any promises. I just have to figure out how to make the basis of the character's essence not sound all too kliché.

Posted at

I've got a two-pager underway for The Origin of SHELL now.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

I did say I would write one of these before. It may have just gotten lost somewhere between some other projects. But, I'll get back to it in a heartbeat.

Posted at

This sounds cool - are we talking about the origins of the characters themselves, or simply how they came to be a part of the HA?

If it's the former, I can give a condensed version of 'Retake' a shot, lol - even if there are quite a few major points still to come.

If it's the latter, I'll either get back to you or open the topic up for whoever has an idea!

Dave

Posted at

Dave - I think it's the former… So a two-page summary of Retake. (it's more like a page and half actually, since the bottom third of the 2nd page is for a quick ref of abilities, affiliations, essential storylines)

For the SHELL two-pager, I just highlighted the events that shaped his personality. header + 3 panels on page 1, 4 panels + quick ref info on page 2.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Yup, fukujinzuke is right. You could just recycle art from Retake and add new text, if you like.

So, quick update on origin stories:
AzuJOD & Wes_Nero123 are working on Azumorph's origin
fukujinzuke did one for Shell and one for Desperado
Sebastian_Sandberg is doing one for Virtus
I'm doing one for Bombshell and planning to do one for Change
Hero wrote one for Comet Kid, on which I'm providing artwork
SympleSymon will do one for Relik
Vora: pending
Titan: pending
Chapter 3 will see Bleeder, Blue Jay and Mr Imp added to the roster, so by that time we'd need origin stories for them too.

As you can see, we've got two villains in there. So, everybody who'd like to do an origin for another villain: feel free to do so. It's not required though (I think).

Posted at

JIN and I are formulating the Bleeder 2-pager around mid-March, when her school stuff slows done a little.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I'll upload some teasers over the next few weeks, then start uploading origin stories - just a quick reminder for whoever hasn't done theirs (- yes, I'm looking at YOU! No, not you… YOU there!!) ^_^

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.