Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I think I'll throw my hat in and see what I can do :)

Posted at

Is there a certain format required for writing the scripts out? Because I have one where I state the page, what's happening in the panel in brackets, and then lines for the characters underneath that. Whatever lines are below a sentence in brackets is said in that panel. Anything in italics are thoughts if they have a character name beside them. If not, it is a narative box. Anything in bold is just a bolded word.
Sort of like this:

Page 8:
(View of Andi, back turned to Dan, Dan looking at the growths)
Dan: Oh my god… H-How long have you had them?
Andi: Since I was ten. To my knowledge, they’re the only things medically wrong with me.
(View of Dan writing a prescription)
Dan: Well, I’m going to write you a prescription for something I think might decrease their size. Take it and I’ll call you when I clear a spot for some more in detail tests.
(View of Dan handing Andi the prescription, Andi with his jackets on again–Side view of Andi, partial side view of Dan)
Dan: Take care, Andi.
Andi: Will do.
(View of Andi leaving the office)
(View of Andi putting his hat on, eyes closed, smiling slightly)
Thurl: …What a tool.
Percy: Oh, you said it. That needle hurt!

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

First off, I would include the description you just gave in your script too. There is no "standard format" for writing scripts, the only important thing is that any artist reading your script knows what you mean right away, without any sort of external knowledge.

I think the only real difference between your script and the way I would write it (which is a way I've picked up over the years from various professional scripts) is to include (not only the page number but also) the panel number, and instead of writing captions and thoughts both in italics (which might cause some confusion - for instance, in your excerpt I'm not sure what the last two lines are; if they are thoughts, does that mean the brothers react to each other's thoughts?), I would just include the word "thought bubble" (in brackets after the person's name) or "caption".

Also, some writers have a specific layout in mind, so they would describe the way panels are laid out on the page. That's not a requirement, of course - personally, I would often leave that for the artists to decide, except when I know exactly how the page should look like. It also depends on whether the artist in question likes to have a guideline for his layout, or feels too restricted by it. In the end, much of that is a matter of negotiation between writer and artist.

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

Mind if I join in with writing? I usually do like 10-22 page stories but I can do more if it's necessary.

DevanMuse
DevanMuse
Posted at

i would love to be a regular artist/writer on this project. i'd also like to include my own character from my own comic into some stories, maybe as an honorary member, regular member, etc. i've come up with a lot of ideas(not yet drawn out, but still existing) of some truly epic stories in my own comic, and i thought maybe i could do the same here.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Byth1, DevanMuse: Thanks, I've added you to the list(s)!
Phantom64: Thanks! I've added you to our artists and writers lists, and Iron Violet on the team building thread. I don't think there's anything in HA continuity that strictly excludes your superhero teams. We can discuss this in stories/storylines.

Escutcheon
Escutcheon
Posted at

I think I may be interested in moonlighting as a writer if you would like, either solo or as a team-up, I love to develop characters and have epic storylines. I tend to work by the rule of 3- 3 pages per tone change. These changes can be small, or they can be large, but that's really my rule of thumb- isn't an iron rule by any means, but that's just a part of my style.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Thanks, you're on the list!

Just a general reminder: The biggest chance to write a story for HA is still to submit an idea in the storylines thread and then turn it into a script.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

I'd love to help on the writing-front. I've mentioned a storyline idea over on the storyline-thread and if at all/ever possible I'd love to get to work on something like that.

Koikoi
Koikoi
Posted at

I'd love to do some writing too

SalviB
SalviB
Posted at

more than interested to write… check out my bio for more info

Eric_blitz
Eric_blitz
Posted at

The only thing I love more than drawing comics is writing comics!
I'm so in!
The only thing I wanna say is, I would really rather work on half - full issues, because I'm a very tactful writer. I like adding subplots along the main storyline and watching them progress and crossover.
I've alreayd thrown my idea in the ring over on the storyline thread and honestly could not be more excited to start writing that! 

Posted at

I've been away for a while, but I've caught up with my reading on every in the HUniverse, so count me back in for writing - I have some ideas already about things I could maybe write again - I'll scribble some down and report back.

JimHarbor
JimHarbor
Posted at

I stand here amongst constrcuters of tales with previus repute and I would ask should a composer of narrative and prose be required, thank the name of Jim Harbor be called upon.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Is there a particular script format to be used?
And do you still take those little standalone stories featuring new characters (like Fighter and Kat) or is it all big stuff now?
Thanks.

Abt_Nihil wrote:
Thanks, you're on the list!
Just a general reminder: The biggest chance to write a story for HA is still to submit an idea in the storylines thread and then turn it into a script.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Regarding script format, I think there are two basic, reasonable options:

"Full script"

Page number X

Panel 1
Description of what happens in panel 1
Character Y: "Dialogue of character Y"
Character Z: "Dialogue of character Z"
Sound FX (if applicable): "…"

Panel 2
Description… etc.
[Repeat until all panels of page X are covered]

Page number X+1
Repeat schema above.

"The Marvel way"

Page(s) number X (or several)
Description of what has to happen on this page, potentially bits of necessary dialogue - but leaving details up to the artist.
Scripts should also include lists of characters and locations. If applicable, it would also be good to include a link to the forum thread for the story, where references can be found.

Personally, my preferred file formats are pdf and doc.

Regarding shorter, standalone stories - somehow, it's never come to pass, but yes, I'd encourage these. But! I'd really prefer team-ups to solo stories. Like, throw two characters from the HUniverse together into a short, snappy story. Brave and the Bold style.

JimHarbor
JimHarbor
Posted at

Yes if you scroll down you'll see the "Hero Feature Presents…" thread that  Abt an I came up with for just that purpose.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Abt_Nihil wrote:
Regarding shorter, standalone stories - somehow, it's never come to pass, but yes, I'd encourage these. But! I'd really prefer team-ups to solo stories. Like, throw two characters from the HUniverse together into a short, snappy story. Brave and the Bold style.

The whole "Brave and the Bold"/"Hero Features presents" thing sounds like a great way to get my feet wet (which is half the point by the sounds).

So is the idea that I draft up a script and send it directly to you? Or do I run it by the community first somehow?

Apologies for all the dopey questions.  Actually, the submission process might be worth throwing up on the wiki…

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

irrevenant wrote:
Abt_Nihil wrote:

The whole "Brave and the Bold"/"Hero Features presents" thing sounds like a great way to get my feet wet (which is half the point by the sounds).

So is the idea that I draft up a script and send it directly to you? Or do I run it by the community first somehow?

Apologies for all the dopey questions.  Actually, the submission process might be worth throwing up on the wiki…
Good point! I think the best way to handle this would be to write an outline of the story first, specify which characters are used and how, how many pages you're aiming for and anything else you find important. That can be posted in the stories thread, free for anyone to comment - I think that form of (potentially getting) feedback is great to check whether the story would work in principle. Then you can write a script and send it to anyone it concerns (likely me and the characters' creators) for final edits/fixes.

Posted at

well i´m signing up here too as Writer /Artist!

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

The script writing is generally done through suggesting an idea and then literally writing the issue, as far as I know. Obviously the idea may need to be fleshed out a little before getting to the script, but usually most things get the green light. However, as we're nearing the end of series 1 it may be best to hold off a little while until we've got a plot set out for where we want to take Season 2.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Have a look at this thread too: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/176107/
We're looking at doing some short one-off stories to slot into the chapter breaks.  They can be things like asides, character vignettes, historical stories etc. that aren't tied to the current season's stories.

ironhand wrote:
The script writing is generally done through suggesting an idea and then literally writing the issue, as far as I know. Obviously the idea may need to be fleshed out a little before getting to the script, but usually most things get the green light. However, as we're nearing the end of series 1 it may be best to hold off a little while until we've got a plot set out for where we want to take Season 2.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Just realised I never outright said "Please put me on the list of people interested in writing for HA".

Please put me on the list of people interested in writing for HA. :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.