Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

Four months on from when I last asked this, is there any news/movement on the future of the Duck?
The lack of news, or anything, from 'the top' isn't filling me with bags of confidence. It's been about a year since the change over and it seems like we haven't progressed at all since.
I still cant help but get the feeling that I'll try to visit this site one day in the near future and it
just won't be here.
EDIT: WHY DOES THE SITE KEEP GETTING RID OF MY F**KING HARD RETURNS!! ARRGH!!

Posted at

Mr Hades, there hasn't been. From what I understand Wowio is working on making DD and a couple of their other holdings public, so they'd get investment money or something? I dunno how that works. It's something like that, but whatever it is, it's been in the works for a long time. 7 or 8 months now I think. I dunno how long that kind of thing takes.

If you want the text thingy to keep your hard returns, you gotta put a space in your blank line. Otherwise it thinks it doesn't need it and omits it. :]

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

skoolmunkee wrote:
If you want the text thingy to keep your hard returns, you gotta put a space in your blank line. Otherwise it thinks it doesn't need it and omits it. :]
DUCK LEGEND :)
Thanks Skool

Posted at

Hi everybody, I used to come here, everyday. I loved Drunk Duck. It might very well have been my favorite thing to do for a long time. I loved posting on the forum and being involved with other creative people, I loved finding people's contact information and talking to them, trying to make contacts with others who wanted to make comics. I loved seeing great things people made, I loved seeing the really awful things some people put out, I loved it all. It was a fine website, far better than Geocities and much more accepting than Keenspace, who were a bunch of cunts without a sense of humor or any passion. They became Comic Genesis, around the same time BuzzComix dissapeared and Drunk Duck was sold to Platinum Comics. Those were the dark ages, I thought.
I started off doing comics as a silly fun thing. I took sprites of video game characters and jokes from crappy comedy movies I saw, like the one with Method Man and Red Man attending Harvard. I thought I was brilliant, hosting my little comic on Geocities were maybe a few hundred people saw my work in the six months I did that. It never felt as real as coming to Drunk Duck, once I moved here and drew my own work, still using my copy pasting method, but switching from video game art and unoriginal material to trying to do my own melacholoy comedic slice of life thing, I really felt like I tapped into something by being here on Drunk Duck. I tried to do a bunch of different comics, ones about super heroes and office workers, but I never really felt fullfilled until I gave up trying to do anything other than make myself laugh and have a good time making comics, when I did Penis. 
An elaborate joke layered with every B-character I came up with in the several years I spent with Drunk Duck, I felt so accomplished. People read my dumb comics. I loved that. I loved the instant satisfaction of it, knowing that people were actually looking at what I did. Even if my work wasn't that great, I still feel like Drunk Duck was a great place to learn how to write, if nothing else. I played in every genre with every type of story I could, and I love this website for letting me do that, with an actual audiance. I got nominated for best writing once for the Dtoid Awards thing, and I still laugh about that. I had such a good time here, but I've become busy. I grew tired of dealing with lots of relationships with online characters I didn't really know. I also just grew disastisfied with my own work, not writing or drawing anything until last year.
I'm not such a good person, I'm kind of an asshole. But I loved it here. It was fun, I had fun conversations with a lot of people here, who I'd like to hope are still around somewhere. I don't want what happened to Top Web Comics and later Buzz Comix to happen to this place, but it looks like I'm too late. I don't know what I can do to fix any of this, I don't know what went wrong with Platinum Comics. More like, I don't know what went right with Platinum Comics, they seemed like a bunch of assholes every time I tried to talk to them about publishing anything fun that I worked on, they seemed to always be vauge and wishy washy with me. I hate that. I like definites, if you're going to answer a question, yes or no are the only answers I can reasonably accept. Not a, "Oh yeah, we'll look into expanding the relationship between Platinum and Penis." What a bunch of lying fucks they were.
It looks like the site got sold to another company, who are even worse than Platinum. I'm so happy that Platinum had that movie that failed misrebly. To take such a B-movie idea and throw so much money at it, is exactly why the movie buisness is fucking retarded and will eventaully burn itself down to nothing. 
We can't let our site burn guys. We can't take this lying down. We have to figure out some way, maybe a kickstarter to save the site and buy it for ourselves, so we can at least run it into the ground on our own terms with actual real answers, not vauge bullshit. I've no time for bullshit. I thought I would come back here and recconect with some people I missed and maybe draw some comics, but I'm so busy, all I can do is lurk. And now I find this thread and see what's happened, and I have to comment. Because I'm stupid, I lost the password to my old account and made this new one today.
I love this website, I love you guys. The only example of my old stuff on the site, is This story I did for the drunk duck Zombies and my sily werewolf comic that I loved doing. You know this is me, because only I would be enough of a jerk to plug my own shit in the middle of a post like this. 
I want to write stories and draw pictures and show everybody how silly I can be, but without Drunk Duck, I have no platform for that on my own. At least, that's how I feel. Without Drunk Duck, I feel a certain emptiness that I can't really explain. Seeing dudes like KC Green not becoming super famous bums me out, they did good work and I'm eternally thankful for this website showing me their work. I don't know how to save the site, but I'm willing to throw my two cents in and try. 
Matt B. 

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

If you contact Ozone or Skool, they might be able to reset your password for you.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be much we can do to help the site right now. A lot of important people left after The Relaunch, and it's not easy to keep new people when everything's so buggy. And due to some short-sighted design decisions on Wowio's part, there's not much we as creators can do to improve the viewing experience for readers or remedy the lack of essential webmastering tools. This place won't be truly viable again until they fix the programming, which may well mean completely redesigning everything from the ground up.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

Also, you have to drop the 'http' part when you type a Drunkduck url in order for it to work here. That's a bug.

Posted at

I'm looking around trying to find people, the site is a nightmare. It feels like I walked through the wrong door and found everything I used to love in ruins. People are gone, with barely any trace of them having existed at all. I found Black Kitty's sympathy page, where we all left her well wishes, which I did in a hilarious and jerky way, but not her? Where did she go? Where did Ronson go? Randal? I'm lost. I'm absolutely lost here, looking at my old stomping ground in shambles, this is incredibly depressing. We can't just take it lying down, there has to be something we can do to keep a registry of where everybody left, what is and isn't working with the site. It's scary to see something I saw flourish ten years ago, something I was here to see grow, just fall apart completely. 

Amelius
Amelius
Posted at

Holy crap, it's Marine! I was wondering where you'd gotten off to!
Indeed, it is dire days here on Drunk Duck. I'll just leave it at that for the moment, because I think everything that's been said has been said. (Oh wait, I COULD say more, but I don't think it's a good idea for me to get into that right now!)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Playing with the queen of hearts,
knowing it ain't really smart
The joker ain't the only fool
who'll do anything for you

Laying out another lie,
thinking 'bout a life of crime
That's what I'll have to do
to keep me away from you

Hahaha, The lyrics of Juice Newton's Queen of Hearts… just for fun, but those lines do remind me of Marine a bit ^_^

BK, Ronson, Spang, all up and moved to Facebook. Ronson is the proud owner and manager of his very own comic store now. Spang… DJs and things… Very good at it so I hear. He still hates you too I'm sure… :)
BK is a teacher in Canada, but she's currently on holiday in Brazil again with her partner and his family there… Skoolmunkee is doing gangbusters at her academic whatsitthingamajig job in Britain and is on Twitter constantly…
Randal is driving trucks all over the USA still and he's Facebooking away about stuff… KC Green, I dunno, he's on FB too but not in my friends list.

Marine, your password for Marine has been PQed to you. SO if you want to unmaroon Marine go head.

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

El Cid wrote:
Also, you have to drop the 'http' part when you type a Drunkduck url in order for it to work here. That's a bug.
SHHHEEEIT

I wondered why those links would never work!

Now I know… and knowing is half the battle

Posted at

Aw Marine. <3
I peek in here very occasionally. (Very occasionally.) I am not really used to how the website looks, but I assume it's because I don't come here enough to get used to it.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm used to the look now, but not the bugs :(

Posted at

So far I'm not aware of the bugs so my experience is all okie dokie~

I think the only thing that bothers me are those pop up ads. They're just very distracting. But heeey, at least I remember my password still! Yay!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Well you've overcome the linebreak but nicely already I see! ^_^

lothar
lothar
Posted at

i still check this place out from time to time .
hi everybody !!!

isukun
isukun
Posted at

Wow, the place seems to have died down considerably since I was last here.  Wanted to make sure I ddin't have any remnants of some of my old comics still lingering around here, but thought I'd look in on the forums while I was at it.  I was hoping for some interesting conversation, but it looks pretty dead around here.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yes, since you left no one is interested in talking anymore Izzy.
You took all the fun away with you! :(

isukun
isukun
Posted at

Yeah, between finishing grad school and starting out in animation, it's been an incredibly busy last few years.  Can't say I've really kept up with any web comics in that time.  It's good to see some of the old gang still around.  Would be nice to see a bit of a revival, although most of my stuff is kind of in limbo at the moment.  I'm moving more towards web media and animation, these days and trying to get my studio off the ground while working a day job at a studio out here in LA.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

That sounds pretty interesting. We don have a feature here for showcasing vids (http://www.drunkduck.com/video/) if they're on something like Youtube, if you've got anything you'd like to show?
I went to LA for the second time last year (first time was the year before, just passing through).
It's not a bad place, just massively spread out… I liked the vibe and the people there, apart from the Hollywood area, that place sucks massive balls. Santa Monica was pretty much my fave spot. I wouldn't mind living around there.

isukun
isukun
Posted at

Yeah, I live in the Valley.  Despite the stigma, I actually kind of like the Burbank area.  I lived in Hollywood for a while.  The Hills aren't bad, but the WeHo area is just awful and incredibly sleezy.  Nothing like how they portray it in film or on TV.
I added my video to the shared thing a while back, but I don't really get how that's supposed to work.  Is it supposed to show up somewhere?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

isukun wrote:
Yeah, I live in the Valley.  Despite the stigma, I actually kind of like the Burbank area.  I lived in Hollywood for a while.  The Hills aren't bad, but the WeHo area is just awful and incredibly sleezy.  Nothing like how they portray it in film or on TV.
I added my video to the shared thing a while back, but I don't really get how that's supposed to work.  Is it supposed to show up somewhere?
I don't know about the previous vid thing. All I know is that I can put vids into that now if I have a link from youtube.
I'm not sure what they were going to do with them when they asked for vids that last time, I think that was part of the old system before the redesign.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Here is something interesting. I found a site that gives value to website domains.
The Duck Webcomics is only worth $240.
Drunk Duck is worth $102,000
If that isn't a good enough argument to change back the site name, this is it. No one is going to "The Duck" they are going to "Drunk Duck."

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.