Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA!

lba
lba
Posted at

Yeah. Now it's the Warrior Leadership Course. And that's about all I know about it realistically beyond that it's the NCO equivalent of what I went through. I went the college option route and was promoted from E-4 to E-5 specifically in order to send me to OCS so I never looked into WLC.

As it turns out, our previous officer strength manager got himself fired or something and just didn't brief his replacement on who was out from the brigade so they were still searching for a whole bunch of people's papers when I came back. I have an assignment, exactly where I expected to go, but it was pretty much literally lost, sitting collecting dust in an unused office. Luckily the new strength manager is my future XO, so they now know I'm coming but this is the first they've heard of my existence I guess.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Should've costed :)
 If that was Pinky she'd definitely have done that!

Speaking of Pinky, and army boots, I based hers on my dad's Vietnam war era 1970s Australian army boots. They're different from the American ones… the stitching and the structure of the overlaying leather on the sides. I like it.

Back when I was in uni I bought my own pair of Chinese made ones for reference and wearing, that was back in 1997 or something. In 2011 my friend Bianka wore them as part of her Pinky TA costume at San Diego Comic Con, but she'd had them altered to add platform soles and massive high heels to them.
I thought that was a baaaad idea… And I was right- her feet were destroyed by the end of the con.
But, of course it was my fault… apparently. You know how ladies can be. ;)

If she'd have taken my advice originally I'd have mocked up some black sandshoes with black gaiters instead, but noooooo…

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The Aussie jungle boots were based on the Commonwealth issue boots that came out with tropical weight Battle Dress and the 1944 pattern gear.  Photographic evidence shows a lot of Aussies wearing US issue boots in Vietnam.  In fact it's hard to tell an Aussie from a US soldier when the Aussie isn't wearing his gear or carrying a rifle.  I was tasked with doing the Aussie contingent for a Vietnam display that unfortunately never came to pass so I did some research back in the day.  I only ever finished the M113 FSV.  I still intend on doing a North Vietnamese T-59 tank which was my other assignment.

The Aussies wearing US boots and tall canvas gaiters in 1942-4 is interesting because they wore better than the Commonwealth hobnailed boots and short gaiters in the jungles.  Immortalized on the Airfix Australian infantry figures.

gullas
gullas
Posted at

Day 4 of flue : I was alright yesterday, even whent to work which I kinda regret. I felt terrible at the end of it.
Had a pretty interesting phone conference with my instructors for my thesis. Basicly they had to huddle together with one phone while I, sick on the other end explained my idea. Came pretty well out and I got ton of points that I can use.
Luckily my friend is coming over with something to ease my headache/heat/pain, so I can manage…. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Bravo-
Maybe that's earlier on in the conflict? Later on it's more like olive drab loose trousers, loose olive drab blouse, black boots and gigglehat. Maybe the trousers and blouse were US?

The typical aussie in Vietnam is easy to distinguish in most photos in that they wear a floppy giggle-hat as opposed to the helmets typically worn by the Yanks. Of course there are individuals who always did whatever, but that's like it is always. (Aussies in helmets, Yanks in gigglehats etc)

Here's a pic of what I meant about the boots:

Like this: http://www.dinahlee.com.au/USERIMAGES/aus.jpg
and this: http://bit.ly/RXRbFb

That's regular troopers. The SASR did their own thing.

————-

Gullas, that's terrible man! I hope you get better fast!

Katch
Katch
Posted at

And suddenly…boots. XD

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

In World War II the Aussies initially wore US herringbone twill cotton uniforms with the US gaiters and boots.  Later on there was the skirted jungle tunic and trousers as well as the tropical battle dress and the low rise predecessor to the Aussie boot you drew worn with wrap gaiters.  The US boot pictured came out in the 1960's replacing a previous boot like the Aussie one pictured which is similar to what is called the civilian "duck" boot. Look at that we're back to ducks!  Herringbone cotton cloth has also been called duck cloth for a purported ability to shed water.  Riiiight. 

In 'Nam when I said "gear" I also meant helmets.  The basic jungle fatigues, boots and giggle hat (boonie hat) the American and Aussie were virtually identical.  Helmets are hot and heavy and when one doesn't need it out came the "boonie" hat.  It was the hat  issued with the herringbone twill cotton uniform down in the hot, wet South out in the "boonies" and is still in issue in the various camouflages.  The brim has expanded since Desert Storm (?) to keep the sun off the neck.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

All I know is that most pics of Aussies from over there feature a gigglehat and most pics of Yanks feature a big old 1940s style steel helmet. ^_^
I've got a pair of my granddad's old canvas giaters from WWII - definnitely the US style.
——————
Ahhhh, back at work this week, and it's exactly like it was before I left for the holidays. BRAIN SUCKING! Ugh!
I thought it just felt that way because I needed a holiday really badly and hadn't had a real break  for over a year, but nope… If I wasn't committed to helping out a friend financially (on going), I'd probably quit.

It's not a bad environment, the people are ok, it's just boring, I don't like being in an office anymore, hate being in air conditioning and florescent lights ALL the time, hate repetitive tasks, hate office gossip and small talk… it's a bit like the start of Joe Vs the Volcano, except without the tropical novelty lamp and I get a bit more respect.

lba
lba
Posted at

Oh man, you know how much I would love being in that office right now? Boring sounds amazing. I haven't had a steady income in almost two years now and for the most part I used to love being my own boss and the cash thing never bothered me, but that was back when I had the business built up and all the contacts in the world to send work to and get commissions from and I was still relatively young, dumb and ok with not having nice things. Nowadays, I'd happily work in an office just because it would mean I'd have consistent money for things I want. I'd probably have to learn small talk and chit chat again, seeing as how I'm no longer fluent, and most of my language these days is made up of various grunts and the throwing of dirty underwear that working for yourself reduces your social skills to.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Regular income is adictive, like some horribly unhealthy drug. It's evil!
Eeeeeeeeeeee-villlllll!

junoblairb
junoblairb
Posted at

Oz, can we make a new 2013 thread?  This one is freaking me out.  It's all like 2012 and junk!
I miss the internet from like five years ago.  Maybe ten years ago.  Y'all remember - back when we all hung out on forums and talked about comics all day long.  Now we have social media and we tweet about our lunches.  It's so passe.  And boring.  It's just giant freaking bummer, man!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.