Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Rant, moan, rave and share - for all your chatter, natter, ETCETERA! 2013/2014

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Wow… I was kidding when I said my new CPU might burn my house down.  Except I may not have been…

My case felt hot while playing a session of Neverwinter.  Found out that my new CPU was generating more heat than it's supposed to.  It's maximum operation temperature was 62 degrees celsius.  Mine was running ten degrees higher than that.

First I invested in a good CPU cooler.  That helped… a little.  Then did a little research and found out the apparent cause…  my CPU was drawing more power than it's supposed to.  And it's apparently set that way by the factory.

Thanks to that research I know how to undervolt the CPU.  Basically I changed its settings so it draws in less power.  Less voltage means less heat generated, but the CPU's performance is unaffected as long as I don't undervolt too low.

I guess that means I can learn to overclock now?  :)

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

You sure the CPU isn't supposed to double as a hot plate and coffee warmer? 72 C is 161 Fahrenheit and would keep your coffee from getting cold.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
You sure the CPU isn't supposed to double as a hot plate and coffee warmer? 72 C is 161 Fahrenheit and would keep your coffee from getting cold.
It could.  Funny thing is… it gets that hot even when it's burnt out…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uBNCN6v_gk

Well, I've got a good working cooler.  It's not the best, but it wasn't expensive and it does the job well.

I'd go with a water based system, but I'm afraid of what a leaky pipe will do to the system…

Posted at

I want to share, it's been so long since I could talk with anyone. My name is… well let's say it's N, I have a birthday coming up in a month and somehow I couldn't believe it to the point where I tracked my internet posts from years ago to nostalgically feel as I once did. I truly don't fucking know when I realized I was a failure, but it must have been around Martin Luther King day 2012, it was the first time I had a gun pulled on me and the only time I was pistolwhipped. In three days I plan to stop by a major city to meet a man who I have a love-hate relationship with and we're gonna discuss how to appropriately conduct future business transactions as my former employer has had a recent skrimish with the DEA that landed me out of work. I'm at my parent's home right now to visit my mother who has cancer and set up her streaming device (like a crappier version of chromecast made by a 3rd world nation), she kept asking me what I do and where I live, she didn't get a straight answer ans was visibly upset. My friends are having children and I'm fucking college freashmen who think I'm hot shit because I sold some frat bro a few pounds of weed; what the fuck am I doing with my life? The money is great, the people are sketchy and the situations are more often than not, objectivly dangerous. But I'll keep doing it and I'll probably cross the wrong person and get killed. I don't really have an explation as to why this is my life, but it is. I'm going to sleep now, I'm glad I could share that. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good to see you back Marine. :)

I'm guessing. 

Banes
Banes
Posted at

@Captain_Hindsight,
I don't know any details about you beyond what you've said here, but it sounds like you have ingredient #1 if you want to change thing: The ability to look at yourself and your situation and assess where you're at and what's going on. That says "hope" to me!

Since you're also a college student, it seems there are possibilities for you. You don't HAVE to be what you've been. And a college freshman - that's a good time to figure out a direction you WANT to go in. For what it's worth, you strike me as a smart person who surely has options.

Very sorry to hear about your Mom.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Make a comic about it, that's what we do here :D

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I am feeling very annoyed right now. I've been without a proper computer for a couple months now, so I finally went to get a new one this weekend at BestBuy. I was pretty clear about what I wanted to use it for (essays, photoshop, occasional games) and ended up getting the computer that the guy recommended to me mostly because it was on sale. Unfortunately I apparently made a big mistake in failing to ask for a model that has all the basic parts of a computer…the goddamn thing has no disk drive! Wtf best buy employees, you didn't think it was a good idea to tell me that or ask if it would be a problem? So now I have to go all the way back and return it.

Shopping somewhere like best buy is irritating enough to begin with. I went with my dad the first time and it seems like whenever I go shopping with a man, the salesperson spends the whole time talking to them even when I make it clear that I'm the customer. For a long time I just thought it was because I look younger than I am, but I think I'm at the point now where people can tell I'm an adult so I don't know what their issue is.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Appleseed alpha(no spoilers):
Rented this, it's excellent. You grow attached to the side characters immediately and deunan was way more relatable than the last few films. More 'spunky and funny sidekick' than action girl. The animation was gorgeous and definitely meant for the western release (all mouths moved to the english words). Anyways its worth a watch if you find it for rent or otherwise.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
I am feeling very annoyed right now. I've been without a proper computer for a couple months now, so I finally went to get a new one this weekend at BestBuy. I was pretty clear about what I wanted to use it for (essays, photoshop, occasional games) and ended up getting the computer that the guy recommended to me mostly because it was on sale. Unfortunately I apparently made a big mistake in failing to ask for a model that has all the basic parts of a computer…the goddamn thing has no disk drive! Wtf best buy employees, you didn't think it was a good idea to tell me that or ask if it would be a problem? So now I have to go all the way back and return it.

Shopping somewhere like best buy is irritating enough to begin with. I went with my dad the first time and it seems like whenever I go shopping with a man, the salesperson spends the whole time talking to them even when I make it clear that I'm the customer. For a long time I just thought it was because I look younger than I am, but I think I'm at the point now where people can tell I'm an adult so I don't know what their issue is.
This is one reason why I prefer to build my own computer.  You never know what's in that nice new preassembled machine you just bought.  I also find that parts are pretty cheap, though that depends on how much of a powerhouse gaming computer you want.  The more high end you go, the more it's gonna cost…

Building PCs is not as hard as it probably looks.  There are a lot of videos on Youtube (which I'm sure you can access from your tablet) on how to build a PC, including shopping for parts, installing software, etc…  

Putting the hardware together is easy enough.  Most PC parts will only fit one way (though if you want either an AMD or IBM processor, you have to buy the matching motherboards).  Software is the hard part, though I'll have to admit that installing Windows 8 on this machine went more smoothly than I expected, and I didn't have to reinstall it when I changed my motherboard (which is the case with Windows XP).

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Hippie-
I've bought 100% of my computers online for all the years I've bought them. You get better prices that way and it's much easier to know about every single thing you're getting with them.
I haven't had a downside to that yet.
Just find a good local supplier with a good selection and you should be all right- check out any reviews of them etc.
It's SO much easier and better than going into a shop and speaking to a retail moron!
-NOT to say retail people are morons, just the ones I've personally met who sell computers.

@Lonne, PC building is scary and advanced!

@Skulbie-
I'm interested and cautious to see this new version of Appleseed. The last few films of it have been absoloutely terrible. The first film (2d animation) was ok- but that's only going from my distant memory of it, it's been ages since I saw that.
I'd love to see a decent version of it again. Shirrow's source material is worth doing right.

Posted at

Ozone Pc bulding isn't hard, I meen if an idiot like me can do it without any training any one can!

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

PC building back in the 90's was scary.  It wasn't so easy back then…  I think I blew up 3 motherboards during that time while learning how to build them.  Lots of unstandardized parts and such and it was pretty hard to know which parts were compatible with each other.

Nowadays though it's gotten very easy.  As I said before, most parts will only fit one way and the only really hard part is the software installation.  But even that's getting a lot easier.  Just don't do what Largo does in Megatokyo when putting computers together…. stripping down to your underwear to avoid static electricity damage to the components.  

The "advanced and scary" part nowadays is overclocking.  Something I will never attempt unless I'm making at least six figures a year.  That's getting easier too though thanks to the failsafes built into all computer components nowadays (such as BIOS recovery and CPU threshold shutdowns).

Undervolting my beast of a CPU is probably as far as I get into the overclocking scene as it was only out of desparation.  Last thing I need is a melted CPU…

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Lonnehart wrote:
 Just don't do what Largo does in Megatokyo when putting computers together…. stripping down to your underwear to avoid static electricity damage to the components.
  I've heard of people cleaning those boards by putting them in the dishwasher! I regularly take my pc to pieces with a rusty screwdriver and blitz everything with an old vacuum cleaner -  although to be fair, I am usually in my underwear when I do this.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

They must know what they're doing to stuff circuit boards into a dishwasher.
And then there's this…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcW7Ii_BKo

And I see another link to a computer aquarium…

However, there's no way I'm going to try any of those.  O_O

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
@Skulbie-
I'm interested and cautious to see this new version of Appleseed. The last few films of it have been absoloutely terrible. The first film (2d animation) was ok- but that's only going from my distant memory of it, it's been ages since I saw that.
I'd love to see a decent version of it again. Shirrow's source material is worth doing right.
I'm actually of the opposite opinon, i think the original manga/anime was poopoo and they were just going off what they could with the films. Best CGI animation i've ever seen though, made me wish they'd have revamped it into a video game series.
Also if you get the bluray turn on the audio to 'english descriptive services' and try not to laugh.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Heh… found out all of my case fans were backwards.  The exhaust side of those fans is where the brackets are.  So my setup is supposed to be this…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

@Skullbie - Blashemy! Whaaaaa…? O_o
Well, I disagree. I felt those 3D Appleseed films were clunky and cliche… They went from bad to worse.
But I will give the series the benifit of the doubt!
I still haven't gotten around to getting a blueray player… When they finally went down to being realistic prices, online video was actually good enough to watch so I haven't bothered.

I may get a blueray drive for my old computer though- I use it as my main media server now.

—–

Very pretty computer Lonne!
I've considered rebuilding my old tower compinto a big beast machine again- the tower is full sized, with a lot of room, things like ram are cheap again now, an SSD would be great and stuff, but with the cost of things like travel, flashy new swords, hussar gear, phones etc, the cost, time and effort of putting together a beasty seems like too much work.

——-

I Have my plane tickets now! I'm flying off to Europe for a month on the 20th of this month! I'll be back arount the 17th of September when i get the resturn tickets rebooked… I booked the wrong date for the return unfortunately. Doh!
First off I'm joinging my friend Bianka in Turkey, staying there a while then going to other countries in Europe- Greece, Germany, the Netherlands maybe, France… Should be fun!
Hopefully it won't be too hot to wear my sexy Caprtain America jacket. -brown leather '30s style motorbike jacket.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

It took me a while to work that out… oh how I hate Tumblr.
So you basically have to read it backwards- keep clicking "next" an read the strips at the bottom of the page and work up to get a sense of the story. :)

That comic is a good writing/drawing exersise. Heh, I used to have a hair cut like that back when I was 8 or something… Too many years ago. It'd be weird to try a Steve Rodgers look. It's even weird when you see the difference in look with that actor, Chris Evens- say between how he looks in Scott Pilgrim. Just the look of his face changes so much.

mishi_hime
mishi_hime
Posted at

Is this the only thread you people are posting in? D:
I feel like I'm Simba returning to the pride lands only to find out everyones gone and there's no food whatsoever. Hmmm. What did I miss? *Flips through random comics*

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

mishi_hime wrote:
Is this the only thread you people are posting in? D:
I feel like I'm Simba returning to the pride lands only to find out everyones gone and there's no food whatsoever. Hmmm. What did I miss? *Flips through random comics*
Picture this thread as a nuclear bunker, deep underground. Those of us who made it are all sheltering from the Wowio fallout.

Word is it's safe to go out there again, but nobody wants to be the first to try.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

And it's really comfy here.  

With the other social media these days community news isn't posted here as readily as it is on Facebook for example.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.